PDA

View Full Version : Which O/U? Beretta or Browning

Bryan Whited
12-03-2006, 1:26 PM
Who likes O/U's?
Which is a better firearm, Beretta or Browning?

Incitatus
12-03-2006, 1:59 PM
Who likes O/U's?
Which is a better firearm, Beretta or Browning?

Both are excellent choices. You can't go wrong with neither one if you buy the model that fits you.
If you are in the market for an O/U but you never owned one before, my suggestion is to go to your nearest shotgun shooting club and talk with an instructor. Serious clubs also have shotgun rentals so you can try different models and ask the instructor what shotgun fits you best. I cannot stress enough how important it is to pick not the most expensive or good looking O/U, but the one that fits your body type.
If you are in the L.A. area, the best place to go and ask for competent advice before you buy is TripleB Shooting Club by the 605 and 60 fwys.
http://www.triplebclays.com/modules.php?name=Instructors
Jim Severine is the instructor who taught me, my kid and my wife how to shoot. He is the man you want to see before buying your first O/U.

Bryan Whited
12-03-2006, 2:14 PM
Actually I already have a Citori Trap gun but want a new non-trap gun.
Yes, I am near TripleB but normally shoot at Prado.
Pretty much decided on a Browning but an undecided on Cynergy, 525 Sporting or XS Sporting.
Really just got tired of seeing the thread about the M4, so I posted something.

6172crew
12-03-2006, 3:10 PM
Both are excellent choices. You can't go wrong with neither one if you buy the model that fits you.
If you are in the market for an O/U but you never owned one before, my suggestion is to go to your nearest shotgun shooting club and talk with an instructor. Serious clubs also have shotgun rentals so you can try different models and ask the instructor what shotgun fits you best. I cannot stress enough how important it is to pick not the most expensive or good looking O/U, but the one that fits your body type.
If you are in the L.A. area, the best place to go and ask for competent advice before you buy is TripleB Shooting Club by the 605 and 60 fwys.
http://www.triplebclays.com/modules.php?name=Instructors
Jim Severine is the instructor who taught me, my kid and my wife how to shoot. He is the man you want to see before buying your first O/U.

Post of the month IMO. Id say that also holds true for handguns as well...dont buy the one that looks cool, buy the one that fits you.

I can shoot a SA XD better than any other 9mm plastic handgun and it so happens they are pretty cheap.

ivanimal
12-03-2006, 4:13 PM
I have a citori featherweight. It is nice to carry while hunting. I did give it to my brother and he has it but it is still mine in my mind!:cool:

ysr_racer
12-03-2006, 4:26 PM
...I cannot stress enough how important it is to pick not the most expensive or good looking O/U, but the one that fits your body type...

Yep, what he said. I shoot a 525 and live in Orange County. You're welcome to join us for a round and try my gun.

bg

Vigilante
12-03-2006, 5:23 PM
I have shot my grandfathers Beretta 686 quite a bit and love the thing. I don't know if they still make that model, but I would highly recommend buying one. I've never shot a browning over-under, but given their reputation I wouldn't think twice about buying one. I know a few people who have owned Citoris and liked them a lot also. I really don't think that you can go wrong with either company.

Bryan Whited
12-03-2006, 6:01 PM
Yup, this is true.
The XD is a great firearm at a price that is too hard to pass up.
The only competition it has is posssibly the S&W M&P, have not played with one yet.

Post of the month IMO. Id say that also holds true for handguns as well...dont buy the one that looks cool, buy the one that fits you.

I can shoot a SA XD better than any other 9mm plastic handgun and it so happens they are pretty cheap.

Bryan Whited
12-03-2006, 6:02 PM
That would be great.
Liked you Turkeyday Schedule but had other shooting commitments.

Yep, what he said. I shoot a 525 and live in Orange County. You're welcome to join us for a round and try my gun.

bg

Forestboy
12-03-2006, 7:12 PM
What are you going to do with it? How much do you want to spend?

I own both brands. Each has a different job. Browning Ultra Sporting with 30 inch ported barrels is my sporting/F.I.T.A.S.C. gun. Beretta Onyx with 26 inch barrels is my skeet/hunting gun. Both are 12's. I've shot both the Beretta 686 and the DT-10 and liked them, the budget didn't:( . Prior to the Ultra I had a 425 Citori and liked it.

I like the auto safety on the Beretta. Especially when lending it someone I haven't hunted with before.

I like the non auto safety on the Browning when shooting targets. I would prefer mechanical triggers for shooting competition over the inertia trigger, but I couldn't beat the price as it was an even up trade for the 425(My buddy upgraded to the DT-10 and gave me his 1 year old Ultra).

xenophobe
12-03-2006, 7:30 PM
I like the Beretta Onyx for 12 and 20 gauge, and the Browning Citori Superlight Feather and a few of the Lightning models in 20ga. 12ga Citoris are just a bit large for my tastes, and forget the Superposed. On a side note, I also like the Franchi Light Field in 20ga as well.

Beretta and Browning both make excellent O/Us. Find one that fits you, you can't go wrong with either.

Bryan Whited
12-05-2006, 7:54 PM
Well, it looks like I can pick up a Cynergy for $2000.
This will be hard to pass up.

robairto
12-05-2006, 8:12 PM
Pretty much decided on a Browning but an undecided on Cynergy, 525 Sporting or XS Sporting.
Really just got tired of seeing the thread about the M4, so I posted something.

I've shot both and owned several citoris. I like the Citori and prefer the 525's.
That's my .02. RB

anotherone
12-05-2006, 8:27 PM
One thing that's cool about the Browning O/U (not sure if Beretta does this) is that you can get them in MAX 4 HD for waterfowling. Having a camo gun helps out a lot if all you have is a Tule seat and some tules on a refuge. If you're hunting private property in a good blind though I'd say go for broke! Get a really sweet Browning.

randy
12-06-2006, 1:02 AM
If the Browning fits buy it, if it just requires fiting buy it. Browning guns have a life time warranty if you shoot it and give it to your grandkid the gun is under warranty. The Beretta is one year.

The Browning is built stronger and is better all around.

That being said the Browning Cynergy is total junk they were recalled once if not twice and no knowledgeable buyer touches them. We are stuck with at least 5 of them that nobody behind the counter will recommend.

I do like shooting the Beretta's they feel nice and point well for me, they just haven't held up as well.

robairto
12-08-2006, 7:41 PM
Weatherby 20 ga that has a beautiful stock and is as lite as a feather.
I'n no fan of the brand as I believe it to be a SKB but it is a nice gun and fits my shoulders

just4fun63
12-09-2006, 6:49 AM
You might want to look at the Winchesters. They are Browings built by FN in Belgum. Brownings are built by FN in Japan. I don't know what's up with Winchester right now but I got one of their Supreme Sporting O/U a few years back and I love it. Uses Invector+ tubes

Just thought I would throw that in to confuse you more :confused: It's a good confusion though:cool:

OH and their a lot cheaper