PDA

View Full Version : New AK Build

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 9:48 AM
So heres the new one. I have two others going and will post when those are done.:D

WokMaster1
12-03-2006, 9:53 AM
Nice James. Details, please! Did you run into any challenges with the built?

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Nice James. Details, please! Did you run into any challenges with the built?

No problems at all. I have done a few now so I have it down pretty good. They just take a lot of time to build. The only problem I run into is the finish on the wood. I sand them back down to the bare wood and then refinish them but you run into problem with old oil in the wood and the finish doesn't want to take. Like I said, just a lot of time involved. I have two others I am doing with other finishes so we shall see how those come out looking.

jumbopanda
12-03-2006, 11:32 AM
You must be a pretty damn good builder if the hardest part was the wood. ;)

I'm about to do a build myself, the wood turned out OK, although the finish I used dripped a little. I already ruined one barrel assembly though. :( Got some tools coming in a week or so...wish me luck, hopefully it'll turn out as nicely as yours. :)

JHC
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
. The only problem I run into is the finish on the wood. I sand them back down to the bare wood and then refinish them but you run into problem with old oil in the wood and the finish doesn't want to take.

Are you using traditional stain covered with clear or one of the newer tinted urethanes? I had some problems refinishing some wood recently because of oils that kept coming up to the surface, so I resanded the piece and used Minwax Polyshades which has the color built in and it turned out nice (except for the thumbprint I put in from picking it up too soon :o )

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 3:02 PM
Are you using traditional stain covered with clear or one of the newer tinted urethanes? I had some problems refinishing some wood recently because of oils that kept coming up to the surface, so I resanded the piece and used Minwax Polyshades which has the color built in and it turned out nice (except for the thumbprint I put in from picking it up too soon :o )

I had been doing the traditional stain and shooting a clear coat over it and that where I was having problems. I am trying the Minwax on one right now and it seem to be doing pretty good so we shall see how this one comes out. I have the second one finshed and will post a couple pictures here in a minute.

JPglee1
12-03-2006, 3:14 PM
Dead Sean and Chriss help you build it?

Look grear
wjo

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 3:42 PM
Dead Sean and Chriss help you build it?

Look grear
wjo

Nope, these were all me.

This one was just a little darker then the other one.

Now to finish one out for me.....

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 4:07 PM
You must be a pretty damn good builder if the hardest part was the wood. ;)

I'm about to do a build myself, the wood turned out OK, although the finish I used dripped a little. I already ruined one barrel assembly though. :( Got some tools coming in a week or so...wish me luck, hopefully it'll turn out as nicely as yours. :)

How did you ruin it?

Rivet
12-03-2006, 5:27 PM
Looks good! Have you guys tried to bake the wood before putting on the finish?

jumbopanda
12-03-2006, 6:11 PM
How did you ruin it?

I was attempting a screw build without pressing out the barrel and drilled the trunnion too deep, going into the barrel. It didn't go all the way through the chamber wall, but it might have weakened it and made it unsafe. Not really sure, but I'd rather not risk getting blown up for $50.

jemaddux
12-03-2006, 8:23 PM
I was attempting a screw build without pressing out the barrel and drilled the trunnion too deep, going into the barrel. It didn't go all the way through the chamber wall, but it might have weakened it and made it unsafe. Not really sure, but I'd rather not risk getting blown up for $50.

That would be something you would have to watch and be very careful.