PDA

View Full Version : HAR-25 Build Questions

ketec_owner
12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Where can I buy the buffer and spring for the rifle length stock on a HAR-25? DPMS or Armalite? Reason I ask - my understanding is the spring and buffer is different from the AR-15 type rifles - but DPMS seems to list them under the same part number. I can't seem to find online ordering at armalite. Thanks in advance.

C.G.
12-03-2006, 1:42 PM
Where can I buy the buffer and spring for the rifle length stock on a HAR-25? DPMS or Armalite? Reason I ask - my understanding is the spring and buffer is different from the AR-15 type rifles - but DPMS seems to list them under the same part number. I can't seem to find online ordering at armalite. Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that Armalite is in the process of moving to another location.

You do need the Armalite parts since you should be using an Armalite upper.
And you can buy it here:
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=86

ketec_owner
12-03-2006, 3:34 PM
Thanks. I'll post pictures when I complete this. The Hesse was on the back burner while I was finishing the FAL. BTW - upper is an Armalite 24-inch AR-10(T).

K.O.

C.G.
12-03-2006, 5:40 PM
Thanks. I'll post pictures when I complete this. The Hesse was on the back burner while I was finishing the FAL. BTW - upper is an Armalite 24-inch AR-10(T).

K.O.

No worries.:) I have a 20"'; will probably get the 24" for my other lower.

five.five-six
12-03-2006, 6:44 PM
or just call armalite they have no minimum order

ketec_owner
12-03-2006, 6:57 PM
BTW - any suggestions on a muzzle brake?

C.G.
12-03-2006, 8:09 PM
BTW - any suggestions on a muzzle brake?

You probably don't need one on the 24", but if you do want one the Armalite brake works fine on my 20".

five.five-six
12-03-2006, 8:12 PM
You probably don't need one on the 24", but if you do want one the Armalite brake works fine on my 20".

24" bull works just fine with no break

ketec_owner
12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the input. The SS Barrel is threaded - so it's either a brake or a thread saver. Seller gave me a custom brake - looks like an Accuracy Systems 360 degree Maxi Brake - but I'm not so thrilled about it. Not sure if I can find a thread saver for this either.

I read the previous thread - with excellant pictures and info. A lot of information to digest. So the deal on the AR-10 upper and magazine - an Armalite Mag 10 rounder works better when you replace the modified DPMS 10 rounder? The one with the cut feed lips?

ketec_owner
12-04-2006, 5:54 PM
24" bull works just fine with no break
BTW - where did you find your bull barrel?

50BMGBOB
12-05-2006, 4:52 AM
My Armalite mags just got here and now mine feeds fine. I have the Armalite AR10T complete upper. I don't know if I would call it a bull barrel but it shoots nice with no brake.

five.five-six
12-05-2006, 5:03 AM
BTW - where did you find your bull barrel?
I had randal put my upper together.. ar15barrels.com. I was sighting it in last weekend. hole for hole @ 50m, well in to sub-moa

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 8:23 AM
So which bolt catch are you using with the Armalite mags?

C.G.
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
So which bolt catch are you using with the Armalite mags?

Armalite, but you will have to mod your receiver. The Armalite catch is a little wider, so you will have the enlarge the slot a little; should be no more than 20 minutes with a Dremel if you take it slowly.

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok - so I will have to remove the fixed mag and replace it with the armalite fixed mag. Was there a trick to getting the mag release to loosen up?

But wait - I took a look at the armalite site. Isn't the armalite 10-rounder the same as the M-14/M1A 10-rounder with some mods?

C.G.
12-05-2006, 1:10 PM
Ok - so I will have to remove the fixed mag and replace it with the armalite fixed mag. Was there a trick to getting the mag release to loosen up?

But wait - I took a look at the armalite site. Isn't the armalite 10-rounder the same as the M-14/M1A 10-rounder with some mods?

The old Armalite mags are modded M-14 mags, they added a bolt catch trip. The new ones (which I haven't seen yet) are supposed to be a little different.

BTW. Whack it with a rubber mallet.

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 5:08 PM
Anyone have a picture of the new ones?

I'll whack it with the rubber hammer tonight. I thought I saw that someone refinished their upper and lower. Any pictures?

C.G.
12-05-2006, 6:30 PM
Anyone have a picture of the new ones?

I'll whack it with the rubber hammer tonight. I thought I saw that someone refinished their upper and lower. Any pictures?

There is a partial picture comparing Gen II with Gen I here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=283830&page=4

and not the best pic, but complete:
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=891

Unfortunately, they come only as twenty rounders right now and are in high demand.

five.five-six
12-05-2006, 6:47 PM
Armalite, but you will have to mod your receiver. The Armalite catch is a little wider, so you will have the enlarge the slot a little; should be no more than 20 minutes with a Dremel if you take it slowly.

I moded the catch, about the same amount of time with 200 grit sand paper

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 9:52 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2231/img1366mo7.jpg

Santa came early and dropped off the upper. The brake is growing on me now that I see it in person. It's just a mock up - thought to post it.

Ok - I'll order the armalite LPK. Couple of things I noticed. The back of the upper bumps up against the lower? Sand it? Grind it?

C.G.
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok - I'll order the armalite LPK. Couple of things I noticed. The back of the upper bumps up against the lower? Sand it? Grind it?

Be patient, Grasshopper. :D Doesn't look like you have the LPK installed; I wouldn't do anything till you have the pins in and everything installed. Also, it may be the DPMS mag hitting the upper or you may have the buffer tube in too far.

five.five-six
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM

you are infor a real treat. vulcan goops the bejesus out of them. furnature remover or acitone. also in the front of the mag well he probably tapes a bolt in place to hold the mag in then ground it down flush then painted over it. that will require a drill press and an ez out. try not to scratch your reciever

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks. I'll update when the other parts arrive.

adamsreeftank
12-06-2006, 1:13 AM
If you haven't seen this post, you might want to take a look. The link is for a page where I posted a bunch of photos, including one where I sanded the back of my upper:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29367&page=15&highlight=

As an unpdate, the strong AR10 recoil spring caused the second buffer retainer to break while I was at the range. I'm going to make one on a lathe out of drill stock with a thicker top so it will hopefully be stronger.

C.G.
12-06-2006, 1:35 AM
If you haven't seen this post, you might want to take a look. The link is for a page where I posted a bunch of photos, including one where I sanded the back of my upper:

As an unpdate, the strong AR10 recoil spring caused the second buffer retainer to break while I was at the range. I'm going to make one on a lathe out of drill stock with a thicker top so it will hopefully be stronger.

I would still wait till he gets all the parts before modding; I personally had no problems except for the mag catch.

ketec_owner
12-06-2006, 8:07 AM

Thanks. I was reading that article casually throughout the week. Seems to hit in the same area that you mentioned sanding on th Hesse Upper. However it fits fine when loosely put together - but when i put the front pin in - it hits. It's definitely tight. It may be that the mag is hitting somewhere. I'm going to take the mag out and to wait for the armalite parts kit before doing anything - tight it a good thing. The AR10(T) upper was fairly expensive - I'd rather not scratch it up if I don't have too.. But it seems like the lower should get the mods - if any. I can resell the upper for $$$ - the lower, well, not so much.

From the mock up - it's looking like it's going to be a fine rifle. Let me know how your buffer retainer works out.

ketec_owner
12-07-2006, 5:17 PM
Looking over the issue in more depth.

It's not that the upper won't fit. It seems the takedown and pivot pin I have won't fit the upper. I just ordered the both Armalite pins and match trigger. If the armalite pins are the same size - it pretty much looks like I may have to ream a bit of the inside of the upper's pivot and takedown holes.

Can anyone tell me what the outside diameter of their pivot and takedown pins is? Further - what is the inside diameter of the pivot pin hole and takedown pin hole on their upper?

ketec_owner
12-08-2006, 2:37 PM
you are infor a real treat. vulcan goops the bejesus out of them. furnature remover or acitone. also in the front of the mag well he probably tapes a bolt in place to hold the mag in then ground it down flush then painted over it. that will require a drill press and an ez out. try not to scratch your reciever
Then it's 325 for 30 minutes?

ketec_owner
12-09-2006, 1:56 PM
OK - nevermind the baking method. The vise and steel rod method worked fine.

Question. The armalite upper has lips on either side. Can't I just shave these lips and get the DPMS mags to feed like the Hesse upper?