PDA

View Full Version : What can the Model 60 shot?

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Hello I recently got a Marlin Model 60 brand new, and have not yet gotten to take it out to shot. But I was wondering what I can shot through it. I have a bunch of different .22lr's but I want to know if I can shoot longs and short's through it even though it say's just long rifles. Also can I shoot ratshot though it without it messing the gun up?

well206
05-14-2011, 11:06 PM
i ran 22 short (CCI high velocity HPs i think) in my Marlin 60 on accident. didn't pay attention to what i pulled out. Half the time the round would not eject. cycling of the 22 short caused some shavings of the cartridge to get scattered into the action. i was able to clean everything out, but it was tough. will not try shorts again.

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I see, well I wont be shooting shorts out of it then. Thank you for the response and warning, anyone else got some answers for me?

JeffM
05-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I see, well I wont be shooting shorts out of it then. Thank you for the response and warning, anyone else got some answers for me?

It's generally accepted to only shoot ammunition in the caliber you're gun is chambered in and marked for, especially in semi-autos. There are limited exceptions, but lets crawl before we walk. Just shoot .22 LR. Your individual gun might preform better with certain brands or styles of bullets, so buy a bunch of different .22 LR and test them out.

Izzy43
05-15-2011, 8:42 AM
It's generally accepted to only shoot ammunition in the caliber you're gun is chambered in and marked for, especially in semi-autos.

Well said. There is a reason the manufacturers of firearms stamp the barrel with the ammo that is to be used in that firearm. One risks damaging the firearm or injury when using ammo that the firearm was not designed to use. If one wants a firearm that will fire shorts, longs and long rifle ammo its best to find an older firearm that has that stamped on the barrel. First and foremost, BE SAFE.

MaHoTex
05-15-2011, 8:46 AM
Federal Bulk packs work great it almost everything. I have had no problems with the Federal Bulks in my Model 60.

dangerranger
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a bunch of 60s, they all seem to have there own likes and dislikes but CCI mini mags seem to work in all of them with the fewest stoppages. stay away from stingers, velositers and other "hyper velosity" ammo. its hard on the buffers. and I personaly stay away from any Remington rimfire ammo. one other thing about 60s is use the min amount of lube posible, or use a dry lube. otherwise it serves to collect unburnt powder and debris. DR

azlester
05-15-2011, 12:56 PM
If you want to shoot short, long and long rifle in the same rifle get a Remington 572 pump. The 60 will not cycle with anything other then long rifle.

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-15-2011, 11:58 PM
I have a bunch of 60s, they all seem to have there own likes and dislikes but CCI mini mags seem to work in all of them with the fewest stoppages. stay away from stingers, velositers and other "hyper velosity" ammo. its hard on the buffers. and I personaly stay away from any Remington rimfire ammo. one other thing about 60s is use the min amount of lube posible, or use a dry lube. otherwise it serves to collect unburnt powder and debris. DR

I bought both velocitor and stingers rounds when I picked up the rifle at Turner's. So that's not good to hear. I will look into the minimag's as well.

JeffM
05-16-2011, 7:21 PM
I bought both velocitor and stingers rounds when I picked up the rifle at Turner's. So that's not good to hear. I will look into the minimag's as well.

Unless you bought a 5000 round case, don't worry about it. That gun will outlast you, even with a few hundred rounds of "hyper" velocity ammo through it.

Get a box of every different .22 lr you can get your hands on and see which one your gun likes.

Before you do that though, put a hundred rounds of bulk through the gun. Federals are fine for that. New or freshly cleaned .22 barrels shoot better after they've had a few rounds through them. Accuracy generally increases when the barrel has a coat of the wax lube most ammo companies use on their .22 lr bullets.

dangerranger
05-16-2011, 7:25 PM
Your owners manuel will also tell you to avoid Hyper velosity ammo. in my older 60 I tryed stingers and distroyed the buffer, and hammer.when I stripped it to clean the buffer was in little pieces and the hammer was broken also. the bolt had started banging into the back of the reciver. I do shoot stingers in my bolt rifles and revolvers tho. good luck DR

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Unless you bought a 5000 round case, don't worry about it. That gun will outlast you, even with a few hundred rounds of "hyper" velocity ammo through it.

Get a box of every different .22 lr you can get your hands on and see which one your gun likes.

Before you do that though, put a hundred rounds of bulk through the gun. Federals are fine for that. New or freshly cleaned .22 barrels shoot better after they've had a few rounds through them. Accuracy generally increases when the barrel has a coat of the wax lube most ammo companies use on their .22 lr bullets.

I have 333 super x hollowpoints, figured I would use those first as they are the crappest rounds I have right now. Sucks that I find out now that the hyper velocity rounds are a no go. Though the guide does say that I can shot shorts, longs, and shot. But they wont feed right, guess I need to get a bolt action .22lr. But that can wait, I got my Model 60 and am happy. I am gonna stick to copper plated rounds as well.

well206
05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
American Eagle high velocity 22lr has fed with no hiccups through my Marlin 60.

novalondon
05-17-2011, 2:18 AM
I have bought several model 60s over the years and have shot just about every 22 long and long rifle made thru them. It seems they all like the CCI Stingers as the most accurate but any of the 333 525 or any bulk paks have always been excellent as well. When the family goes plinking the copper plated hollow points are alot easier to clean up after than just the solid lead bullets. When we shoot we take over 12000 rounds to put thru 6 rifles if everyone shows for the afternoon at the range. Great rifles and as dependable as you can ask for. My own is over 40 yrs owned and has never failed me. When I got it extra dirty once after about 7,000 round it got gummed up and would FTE properly but once cleaned it shot again as if new.

dunc289
05-17-2011, 2:48 AM
If you want to shoot short, long and long rifle in the same rifle get a Remington 572 pump. The 60 will not cycle with anything other then long rifle.

I have an old JC Higgins/ Marlin 81 tube fed bolt action that takes anything too.

Not sure about the shorts, but I can get 17 rounds of LR into the tube at once.

Such a pleasure to reload too. No mashed up fingertips.

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the answer's everyone. Is there a more heavy duty setup that I can get so that I can shoot the gun without fear while using stingers?

model63
05-18-2011, 1:35 AM

100% agreement here and am a mini-mag 36 and 40 grain fan. For whatever reason my 37 grain Winchester Super X have given me the best groups. My only other dislike is that dovetail and my ring setup allowing my scope to walk backwards changing my point of impact causing me to think I was having flyers... I finally picked up a firm scope base and it seems to have worked. Others have mentioned problems with it on boards so I guess it is not unique.

mindwip
05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Mine love blazer the best, the federal, then winchester, the way down the list rem

mindwip
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Forgot to add, I only shoot lr,

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-18-2011, 10:35 PM
100% agreement here and am a mini-mag 36 and 40 grain fan. For whatever reason my 37 grain Winchester Super X have given me the best groups. My only other dislike is that dovetail and my ring setup allowing my scope to walk backwards changing my point of impact causing me to think I was having flyers... I finally picked up a firm scope base and it seems to have worked. Others have mentioned problems with it on boards so I guess it is not unique.

Should I get pitcanny rails for mine then? I want to get a new stock for it when I have the money, I'll probably have my friend order it for me.

model63
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Should I get pitcanny rails for mine then? I want to get a new stock for it when I have the money, I'll probably have my friend order it for me.

I don't want to get you off track here and spend more than you need and I think you should at least try a more traditional ring mount with an appropriate scope for a .22 first and see if you have the same problem I had with my scope 'walking back' over time. If you want to trick out a .22... Ruger 10/22's have tons of add-on's and is probably a better match for you. Regardless of the scope walk thing, this gun for me has been an excellent shooter. Put your money into ammo :)

I had to end up going with something like the attached as my original rings didn't cut it.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/5737036593_01fa080d42_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5736960371_a8df571bc5_z.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2512/5737561806_f6bd9a8631.jpg

An extreme someone else went to drilling the top of the receiver (see screw behind rear ring).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/5736885539_f5f507ccc3.jpg

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-19-2011, 7:45 PM
This is the stock I am gonna get for it.
SVD Stock (http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/marlin-model-60-fiberforce-svd-stock-mar3000-/products_id/28)
And I want to get scope for it as well.
Walther 1x30 Red & Green Dot Gun Sight Scope (http://www.buyelectronicstore.com/walther-1x30-red-green-dot-gun-sight-scope_p3706.html)

dangerranger
05-21-2011, 4:27 PM
boyds has a new addition to there line of marlin replacements.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-s/186.htm

this ones shown on a ruger but they are now selling them for Marlin 60s.

I have a couple like this also

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/MARLIN-60-THUMBHOLE-STOCK-p/640-217.htm

Heres one I did for my son in laminate

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/dangerranger60/IMG_21941.jpg

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-21-2011, 5:55 PM
I would rather get the svd stock, I like the look of it on the 60.

afcbasser
05-25-2011, 12:12 AM
i've never heard of rat shot damaging a barrel, but the rifling will cause it to fan out into a rather wide cone (think: opposite of choke on a shotgun).

afcbasser
05-25-2011, 12:29 AM
also, rem .22lr vipers (1400 fps) seem to work well with my 60 as they're not nearly as hot as cci stingers or aguila super max's.
however, i should probably look into upgrading the buffer if i plan on doing it much more.

Ranger of the Wasteland
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info, where could I find a new buffer?