PDA

View Full Version : Head space Problems

Mike 56
12-03-2006, 1:26 AM
I just bought a go and no head space gauges for a Romy i just built. I did pulled the barrel. I striped by bolt and cleaned the chamber and bolt face. I inserted the go gauge and bolt will lock up but will not close all the way. The no go gauge does not lock up at all. If i put a live round in the camber the bolt will close all the way easy in fact it is a little lose. Then i put a piece of black tape on the bottom of the shell case and the bolt closed all the way easy. When i added a second piece of black tape the bolt would not close all the way. Does any one know what all this means? Do i need to have my head space re set. Mike

xenophobe
12-03-2006, 1:33 AM
No, it sounds like you're fine.

If it will close on a go gauge, and not close on a no-go, then you're where you should be. If it's a little loose on the go gauge, that's okay.

NeoWeird
12-03-2006, 2:01 AM
Yup, the No-go gauge is made extra large (at the large end of what is acceptable to the manufacturer) so that IF the bolt closes on it, then you know there is too much room. The Go gauge is made smaller (at the minimum length needed for the case) so that if it can not close on the Go guage then you know there needs to be a little more room in the headspace. It should fit nicely between the two. Some manufacturers have different suggestions; some will say it should NOT close on a no-go gauge, others say it is ok if it will close on a no-go gauge with a bit of force. It should never close freely on a no-go gauge though.

Sounds like you are alright. If you are having problems you might want to check again just to be safe, but chances are your rifle is fine and won't give you any problems.

xenophobe
12-03-2006, 2:11 AM
Some manufacturers have different suggestions; some will say it should NOT close on a no-go gauge, others say it is ok if it will close on a no-go gauge with a bit of force. It should never close freely on a no-go gauge though.

That's not always the truth though. The Italian M1 Garands, for example, routinely close on a no-go gauge, but will not close on a field gauge. The headspace on a Garand is sometimes larger than spec, and does not affect the accuracy or safety.

Also, closing tightly on a no-go would show that the rifle is fine for a shooter, especially for milsurp rifles, but you should never force a headspace gauge. Even though the material is super hard, it's such a tight tolerance that you don't ever want to force them... If it closes loosely on a no-go, I wouldn't fire it personally.