PDA

View Full Version : Where is there a cheap ffl transfer store in Bay Area?

glocker65
12-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I am in the East Bay and was looking for a well priced FFL which I can make an internet purchase through. Anyone know of a good place to do this that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

david_place_834
12-03-2006, 7:46 AM
Larry Hamby, Security Six, San Leandro. 1-925-443-6676.

He's an FFL which operates out of the San Leandro Gun Range near the garbage dumps. I like using him because 1. he will transfer out of state OLL's, 2. he charges $55 which includes DROS and transfer (at least 2 months ago). 3. he is a good natured guy.

Caveat, he's fairly busy guy at the range and with his other principal responsibilities. He provides this service as a courtesy, so be nice and call him first.

DB2
12-03-2006, 8:50 AM
+1 for Larry. He's normally there Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday through Sunday. Call him first though, don't just show up. Cool guy to deal with. I bought my lowers through him, and plan more purchases though him.:cool:

gose
12-03-2006, 8:55 AM
Irvington Arms in Fremont.

Very nice, friendly and cheap.

Cesar G.
12-03-2006, 9:08 AM
+ 1 for Irvington arms great people to deal with

WokMaster1
12-03-2006, 9:43 AM
I heard rumors that m14gunner in Bakersfield is cheap. j/k :D :D Not in the Bay area, though.

Turbinator
12-03-2006, 9:44 AM
Another vote for Irvington Arms, the guy's very helpful and courteous.

Turby

glocker65
12-03-2006, 9:49 AM
I normally shoot at bullseye over in Marin, and I heard the owner on the phone--man they are expensive for transfers! I recently moved to CA, and anything over $35 dollars is unheard of in my former state.... Oh well... I will contract Irvington Arms or Larry!

Thanks again!

Santa Cruz Armory
12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
How much is the transfer fee at Irvington Arms

1911jerry
12-03-2006, 3:19 PM
Martin is tops in service and his prices are the lowest I have used in the Bay area.

+1 for Irvington Arms.

FatKatMatt
12-03-2006, 5:02 PM
Big 5; $10 dealer fee for long guns, $15 fee for handguns, on top of the state fees. Pretty good deal in my opinion. However, a lot of the people there are extremely incompetent with guns, and often take way too long to complete transfers. There are some knowledgable folks there but you never know. It is quite cheap so I would go there if you really want to save. There is one in Terra Linda and one in Corte Madera.

TonyM
12-03-2006, 5:34 PM
Another vote for Irvington Arms, the guy's very helpful and courteous.

Turby

+1

Martin is good people and will take care of you.

Inoxmark
12-03-2006, 6:02 PM
Big 5; $10 dealer fee for long guns, $15 fee for handguns, on top of the state fees. Pretty good deal in my opinion.Wow, you actually found a Big 5 that would accept an out-of-state transfer for you? How did you finess them into mailing their FFL to the seller, if you don't mind sharing? Also, I thought they deal only with long guns?

FatKatMatt
12-03-2006, 6:06 PM
Oh, I haven't done any such thing. I'm just posting the price that they have for PPT's. I wouldn't work with them though, seeing as how incompetent the workers are.

Inoxmark
12-03-2006, 7:13 PM
My bad, since OP asked for FFL prices for interned transfers I assumed you were replying to his post.

6172crew
12-03-2006, 7:30 PM
My guy is $45 per firearm and maybe more for handguns....Concord/Martinez area.

FatKatMatt
12-03-2006, 7:51 PM
How much is the transfer fee at Irvington Arms

Yes, just how much is Irvington Arms?

PonyFiveO
12-03-2006, 9:35 PM

Same question here. Thanks! :)

Trader Jack
12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Yes, just how much is Irving ton Arms?

If Martin at Irving ton Arms is such a "Great Guy" and "Tops in service" Why worry about what he charges. Question I have is this.

If Martin at Irving ton Arms or Dmitri at City Arms where higher priced or for that matter two of the highest in cost, Would they still be "Great Guys" in your minds? I doubt it. Trader Sports charged $150.00 when they were in business and they did it day in and day out. Reeds in San Jose is about the same and they survive.

Look for the service, not the price.

12-04-2006, 6:13 AM
Service is a wonderful thing, but if it comes with a price rape then it isn't worth it. If someone wanted $150.00 to do a transfer that takes a matter of minutes to accomplish I'd call that rape. What services can someone possibly offer to make a person feel good about being gouged a hundred bucks on some routine paperwork?

chickenfried
12-04-2006, 9:26 AM
I've been to all three shops for transfers and Traders was the worst in service and the highest in price. But even then, there wasn't much of a difference in service. You go in fill in your paperwork, come back in ten days and pick up your gun. What more do you expect?

If Martin at Irving ton Arms is such a "Great Guy" and "Tops in service" Why worry about what he charges. Question I have is this.

If Martin at Irving ton Arms or Dmitri at City Arms where higher priced or for that matter two of the highest in cost, Would they still be "Great Guys" in your minds? I doubt it. Trader Sports charged $150.00 when they were in business and they did it day in and day out. Reeds in San Jose is about the same and they survive.

Look for the service, not the price.

acegunnr
12-04-2006, 9:53 AM

From a PM I got:

I charge 50 bucks per transfer plus DROS. On multiple long guns I reduce the rate to 30 bucks each.

30.00+30.00+5.25 tax+25.00 dros=90.25 otd for a two rifle transfer.

If your intersted in going forward with the transfers just come by and I'll give you a copy of my license and fill you in on how I like it to work.

Martin
Irvington Arms 510-226-7910

rips31
12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
My recent transfers and purchases are being done at Irvington Arms and SJ Gun Exchange (which is not a vote of no confidence for City Arms, Tabor and Imbert&Smithers; they are just too far away).
Tabor's won't do transfers, so that's one less ffl to do so.

i heard jackson arms will, but not sure what their prices are for transfers.

PeteyG
12-04-2006, 11:59 AM
In the Southbay. Rogers Relics, Great people to deal with great prices, as transfers and custom orders are the majority of what they do. Only downside to them is that they are by appointment only.

Hunter
12-04-2006, 2:25 PM
... Rogers Relics, Great people to deal with great prices, ....

http://smileyicons.org/s/thumbsup735.gif
I second that!

Aluisious
12-04-2006, 2:26 PM
In the Southbay. Rogers Relics, Great people to deal with great prices, as transfers and custom orders are the majority of what they do. Only downside to them is that they are by appointment only.
I had a gunshow purchase go through Roger's Relics. Good people.

Aluisious
12-04-2006, 2:31 PM
Service is a wonderful thing, but if it comes with a price rape then it isn't worth it. If someone wanted $150.00 to do a transfer that takes a matter of minutes to accomplish I'd call that rape. What services can someone possibly offer to make a person feel good about being gouged a hundred bucks on some routine paperwork?Reach around?

guns_and_labs
12-04-2006, 2:33 PM
FWIW, gunbroker.com has a "search for FFL" service, with most of the fees posted.

12-04-2006, 2:53 PM
Aluisious- I was going to try to work in the reach around but it just wasn't clicking at the time. I completely agree though. :D

thedrickel
12-04-2006, 3:12 PM
Another +1 for Roger's Relics. Great folks, great prices, funny little dogs to play with while you wait. The "appointment" is really just a call a few hours in advance to make sure they're not super busy that day, or out buying groceries, or whatever.

EricCartmann
12-04-2006, 3:41 PM
The stores I know in NH only charged $35 and no DROS, what the hell is DROS?.. but then again I spent about $7k between 3 gun shops in NH so I figured they owed me at least a couple FFL transfers. If you are using a store strictly for FFL's and not a regular there, then I see no problem with them charging you $100. But if you are a regular that support their business I am sure they will give you a screaming deal.

leelaw
12-04-2006, 5:06 PM
The stores I know in NH only charged $35 and no DROS, what the hell is DROS?.. but then again I spent about $7k between 3 gun shops in NH so I figured they owed me at least a couple FFL transfers. If you are using a store strictly for FFL's and not a regular there, then I see no problem with them charging you $100. But if you are a regular that support their business I am sure they will give you a screaming deal.

DROS is Dealer Record Of Sale, otherwise known as CA DOJ's Exercising Of Rights Extortion Fee #10097.(B)

DROS is required for all non C&R PPT sales in California, and runs $25.00.

mur
12-04-2006, 5:19 PM
Another +1 for Roger's Relics. Great folks, great prices, funny little dogs to play with while you wait. The "appointment" is really just a call a few hours in advance to make sure they're not super busy that day, or out buying groceries, or whatever.

+1 for RR, real nice peeps
Yep, Just a few hours notice is all you need. and YA, NO choice, gotta pet the pooches.....damn clingy little things

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-05-2006, 3:36 PM
Haha, yeah. Funny dogs. Always leaving their garage first so they watch you leave.

ghost
12-05-2006, 9:30 PM
i think targetmasters west is $35,might be wrong though.

guimus
12-05-2006, 9:46 PM
Another serious +1 for Lisa and Roger at Rogers Relics. I drive down there from Oakland to do transfers. They have the best prices around, are very friendly, and very knowledgeable about gun laws. The most family-like ffl experience I've ever had (and my Uncle is a FFL in Kentucky!) I've probably tranfered 10 firearms through them this year!

Racefiend
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Your guy is now my guy too :D I'll do business through no one else now, though I haven't bought anything recently.

bonjing
12-18-2006, 4:45 PM
Tabor's won't do transfers, so that's one less ffl to do so.

i heard jackson arms will, but not sure what their prices are for transfers.

sorry no ffl transfers there too.

6172crew
12-18-2006, 5:18 PM
Your guy is now my guy too :D I'll do business through no one else now, though I haven't bought anything recently.

Hes the best eastbay FFL imo...as a matter of fact he had a good deal on those Rock Island 1911s awhile back.:D

cseabass
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
+ for irvington, i transfered my R93 LRS2 through them. good shop.

PIRATE14
12-19-2006, 7:50 AM
Service is a wonderful thing, but if it comes with a price rape then it isn't worth it. If someone wanted $150.00 to do a transfer that takes a matter of minutes to accomplish I'd call that rape. What services can someone possibly offer to make a person feel good about being gouged a hundred bucks on some routine paperwork?

No such thing as routine paper work......have you seen how many shops are being closed because of routine paper work......:mad:

Franksremote
01-09-2007, 7:29 PM

Last time I was there, it was $75+ tax for a OOS PPT including DROS. A little pricey, unless some of these folks on here get a different price. I believe I saw $55 at Jackson Arms not long ago.

doctor_vals
02-09-2007, 10:40 PM
=Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew

Your guy is now my guy too I'll do business through no one else now, though I haven't bought anything recently.
Kevin not only your guy. I bought some tool from him 10 yers ago.

doctor_vals
02-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Last time I was there, it was $75+ tax for a OOS PPT including DROS. A little pricey, unless some of these folks on here get a different price. I believe I saw $55 at Jackson Arms not long ago.

Yeah, they charged me $50 + DROS for rifle.
In Pacifica you will find the same price. I dont know how much they charge for handguns, I beleive the same. And it isnt cheeeep.

xrMike
02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Another serious +1 for Lisa and Roger at Rogers Relics. I drive down there from Oakland to do transfers. They have the best prices around, are very friendly, and very knowledgeable about gun laws. The most family-like ffl experience I've ever had (and my Uncle is a FFL in Kentucky!) I've probably tranfered 10 firearms through them this year!Just picked up a rcvr from these folks yesterday. They are my new go-to FFL. Great price. Cool dogs. Friendly and professional. Can't say enough nice things about this couple.

Hunter
02-10-2007, 1:10 PM
Just picked up a rcvr from these folks yesterday. They are my new go-to FFL. Great price. Cool dogs. Friendly and professional. Can't say enough nice things about this couple.

Yep, I've been dealing with them for +15 yrs now and will continue for all the reasons stated!

david_place_834
02-10-2007, 1:19 PM
If you really want to go cheap. You can go to Cash Loan Inc. in South San Francisco. It is a pawn shop. The owner Dave Newman is very personable, but the other guy is. I just called to re-verify its $55 including DROS. (***CORRECTED $55 OTD (DROS included)***)

Cash Loan, Inc.
337 Grand Ave
S San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 589-4433

I've used them several times in the past when they were even cheaper.

Also try Larry Hamby at Security Six, San Leandro (San Leandro Gun Range).

timmy8151
02-10-2007, 1:37 PM
If you really want to go cheap. You can go to Cash Loan Inc. in South San Francisco. It is a pawn shop. The owner Dave Newman is very personable, but the other guy is. I just called to re-verify its $55 including DROS.

Cash Loan, Inc.
337 Grand Ave
S San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 589-4433

I've used them several times in the past when they were even cheaper.

Also try Larry Hamby at Security Six, San Leandro (San Leandro Gun Range).

I 've used Cash Loan and dealt with Dave and had a good experience. Actually I dealt with the "other guy" and thought he was rude and uninformed. He wouldn't let me cash and carry my CZ-52 even though I provided my C&R FFL, COE and a copy of the Cal DOJ regs. Besides that, he just had an attitude about him that I didnt care for. However, Dave was a stand up fellow and is the only person I'll deal with at Cash Loan.

chickenfried
02-10-2007, 1:54 PM
I've also dealt with the Hawaiian(maybe)guy and had a similar experience. Agree Dave is a lot better to deal with and doesn't think he knows it all. The "other" guy is always the one working when I go there. How do you manage to only deal with Dave?

I 've used Cash Loan and dealt with Dave and had a good experience. Actually I dealt with the "other guy" and thought he was rude and uninformed. He wouldn't let me cash and carry my CZ-52 even though I provided my C&R FFL, COE and a copy of the Cal DOJ regs. Besides that, he just had an attitude about him that I didnt care for. However, Dave was a stand up fellow and is the only person I'll deal with at Cash Loan.

timmy8151
02-10-2007, 2:40 PM
I've also dealt with the Hawaiian(maybe)guy and had a similar experience. Agree Dave is a lot better to deal with and doesn't think he knows it all. The "other" guy is always the one working when I go there. How do you manage to only deal with Dave?

Yeah that Hawaiian guy. Haha

Oh I just call in before going in and asking when Dave is going to be there.

JMN68
02-10-2007, 5:45 PM
Hes the best eastbay FFL imo...as a matter of fact he had a good deal on those Rock Island 1911s awhile back.:D

I have a good deal on a PSS but need good FFL to accept the rifle. Who is your guy and how can I get a hold of him?

Joe

capitol
02-10-2007, 6:21 PM
Dont go to Irvington Arms. I cant stand Martin and his dog stinks! j/j

If you want a home town feel, great customer service, honesty and good prices go see Martin.

He will treat you right.

You do have to ask to leave though :D

K9paulc
02-11-2007, 3:00 PM
+100% for Irvington Arms. Good people!!!

rips31
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah that Hawaiian guy. Haha

Oh I just call in before going in and asking when Dave is going to be there.
lol...i think that guy is rick, or something.

for some reason, they don't allow you to have a copy of their ffl. seems strange, but it's the rule.

DIG
02-12-2007, 9:05 PM
+1 Irvington in fremont

chickenfried
03-29-2007, 4:47 PM
One of the quirks of Cash Loan Inc. They want proof of residency even on long guns.

tpirman
07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I 've used Cash Loan and dealt with Dave and had a good experience. Actually I dealt with the "other guy" and thought he was rude and uninformed.

I have dealt with Dave and he is cool. I had a 1911 transfered to Cash Loan and it was an OK experience. I guess I followed the rules so the "other guy" was reasonable when he helped me. It helped that he likes 1911s.

HOWEVER, I just had a long gun transferred there and the experience has been awful. I walked in to fill out the DROS and the "other guy" was very rude. He said that usually people wait to be called. He said he didn't know if the rifle was in the system and that he can't fill out the DROS until it is, otherwise it's illegal.

I said "What time does UPS come?" and he said they already had. I looked behind him and saw a long box and said "I bet that's it right there". He said yeah, it probably is and acknowledged that it came from Bud's. I said "You mind if I wait for it to be entered because I just came from work?" He said "No, I don't mind" and then just gave me a blank dumb stare and made no effort, making it obvious he wasn't going to enter it. I walked out thinking "I am going to go post my feedback on calguns right now...".

He had tons of attitude and was a total a-hole because me, the dumb customer, didn't follow his rules.

I tried to give them support because I do appreciate FFLs, but I am taking my business elsewhere from now on. City Arms has always been great and I regret not taking my business there in the first place.

Beside, $80 at CL is a lot for no customer service!