PDA

View Full Version : Casting bullets

Blue
12-02-2006, 9:55 PM
Anyone here cast bullets? My buddy has a metric crapload of wheel weights and we're looking into possibly casting them into bullets. Mainly 45acp. Is this something that we can do with the right tools? I'm reading that proper ventilation is required, I take it out in the open in the back yard would hopefully be good enough?

762cavalier
12-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Blue- you can get a boatload of casting info at this sitehttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/ Yes casting can be easy but is a hobby unto itself. Bare minimum requirements are a steel pot to melt lead in, a burner, bullet mold and lead.Surf that site they are very helpful;)

50ae
12-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Outside should be good and you could put a fan behind you to help disperse the fumes. You might want to add another metal so you can harden up the mix a bit more than lead.

FatKatMatt
12-02-2006, 11:15 PM
You can get melting pots from Lee Precision for about 40-50 bucks, you need to also get a bullet mold, they run $20 and up. You might want to get some ingot molds to save your extra lead, a ladel, and some sort of thing to "purify" the lead; i think you can use beeswax but there is more modern stuff. Of course you also need lead.

That's really all you need for basic casting.

50ae
12-02-2006, 11:31 PM
You know, after all these years of reloading I'm really getting the bug to cast my own. I think that's what I'll set myself up with for Christmas.

Hunter
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
....You might want to add another metal so you can harden up the mix a bit more than lead.

Actually wheel weights are already an alloy mixture and are pretty hard as is for casting.