View Full Version : Ankle Holsters

05-14-2011, 4:20 PM
Just decided to get an ankle holster for my Taurus 738 (same size as LCP), and wanted to see what recommendations there were. I know I don't want any of the ones that require a calf strap, just want something that's comfortable to wear with dress/casual clothes.

05-14-2011, 4:24 PM
Try a Galco. But, more than likely you will want a calf strap later.

05-14-2011, 7:59 PM
+1 on Galco.

And there is a strong chance you will eventually want to find a different solution. Ankle holsters often lead to ankle problems.

05-14-2011, 8:28 PM
Plus your gun gets dirty as hell.

05-14-2011, 8:32 PM
Have you tried pocket carry? A LCP or J frame sized revolver is right at home in some loose cut jeans. Not sure if 'Clip Draw' is made for your gun or not, but that works well too.

05-14-2011, 10:58 PM
+1 on Galco.

And there is a strong chance you will eventually want to find a different solution. Ankle holsters often lead to ankle problems.

One of the guys I worked with (rest his soul) used to wear an ankle holster. He got gangrene and the docs said it was due to the holster. Thankfully they were able to save his leg and he got rid of the holster.

Another deputy I know got in a fight for his gun with a suspect. He was unable to get to his ankle holster since they remained standing the whole time. He told me this as we drove by that suspect's home as he was mowing the lawn. The incident had occurred years before and that was the last time he wore ankle holster.

05-15-2011, 2:37 AM
Wow, you guys have me worried. I carry an airweight over my boot and believe it to be the most comfortable thing ever. Although I've only been carrying it like this for a few months, I would have never thought things like that were mentioned could occur.

Might reconsider...

05-15-2011, 4:21 AM
I use a galco ankle holster for my Ruger LCR .357... no problems.. YOU NEED TO PRACTICE DRAWING AND DRY FIRING IT. 10-20 reps a day.

05-15-2011, 7:04 AM
There are better locations than the ankle to carry a back up. That said, if those other locations are impractical for your body type, it is still preferable to use the ankle holster than the alternate of not having a back up.

Also, if you have an ankle holster and are worried about a stand up gun snatch, a strategically located knife can supplement your back up gun in such scenarios.

El Gato
05-15-2011, 7:54 AM
Ankle guns can be really handy ESP in a car/ desk. I have and carry it constantly. Just ordered a 5 shot leather

05-15-2011, 9:10 AM
I just picked up an Uncle Mikes nylon one for occasional wear for boyfriend's little Kel Tec. It's not a great method for carrying, but it's more comfortable for riding his motorcycle and for long car rides than in waistband carry. It's not molded and it has a loose draw, but for the rare times he'll wear it, it's good just to have it on him.

05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a Galco Ankle Glove. You don't need the calf strap. It helps but not absolutely necessary. It is very comfortable as long as you rotate it so it's not on your ankle bone. When I used to wear baggier jeans, it was great as an off-duty setup as you can wear a tee shirt or whatever an not have concealment issues.

05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. As I don't wear it every day, I don't think I'l have any of the physical problems. I've ordered the Galco Ankle Light, which is the model for the 738 that Notorious mentioned. When it gets here, I'll let you know it works.

05-15-2011, 4:11 PM
Only use an ankle holster if you have no other options. It's better to have something than nothing but it will not be easy or practical to draw in most circumstances.

05-15-2011, 4:25 PM
The other problem with ankle carry is based on the pants you wear and the gun you Carey. With my G26 on the ankle, it works with longer pants with wider cuffs. The 511 pants don't work too well as they are not long unless you buy longer inseam than your usual pants. The bottom of the gun always peeks out. Also, pulling up the pant leg to access the gun can be hindered when the gun butt binds on the material.

Practice practice practice to see which pants in your wardrobe works and learn how to get to your gun when you need it so it's second nature. Or... You can always wear shorts and call it a day. :whistling:

05-16-2011, 3:11 PM
I use a Fobus ankle holster for my LCR. It's comfortable enough for a few hours but can loosen as you walk if you don't have it tight enough. It's really only a quick trip setup for me.

05-16-2011, 5:05 PM
It is important not to go cheap on an ankle holster. If you are going to wear it there, it has to not shift around, not be too tight and not let the gun fall out.

There is one thing that the ankle holster is superb at. It gives the fastest access when you are sitting in a patrol car. All you have to do is drop your strong hand between your legs and you car make a very discreet draw while still in the car...no big lean forward or messing with the seatbelt.

The two I've either used or seen used sucessfully are the Alessi (I'm not sure it's still in production) and the Null...both are light, comfortable and secure

05-16-2011, 7:22 PM
The Galco never shifted around on me and as a matter of fact, I had to shift it when it was on my ankle bone. It stuck like glue.

05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I used to carry a Smith and Wesson model 60 Chief's Special in an ankle holster until it fell out in a foot pursuit. fortunately the homeless guy who found it in the dark alley turned it in to the station and it wise unfired and still in pristine condition. On another incident, I had a suspect that was wrestling with another deputy on the ground grab my ankle that had my gun in the holster. Fortunately, one tap on the side of his head with my 415 Gonzalez sap rendered him unconscious and no longer capable on operating a firearm. If that didn't work, I would have been forced to shoot him.

Add those personal experiences, along with the circulation issues the 'Retired' talked about (we worked the same stations and department), I DO NOT recommend ankle holsters.

Plus, they are too hard to get to in a struggle.

05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
i use this (http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/SW/J-332-340-342-442-640-640-1-642-2-14/POCKET-HOLSTERS/The-Nemesis) everyday for my airweight in my back pocket, dont even notice its there.

05-17-2011, 3:17 PM
I've never used the ankle setup on duty.

05-17-2011, 3:51 PM
Have used Desantis ankle holsters for my Chief's Special and Glock 26 when I traveled long distances where a IWB would be annoying or when on raids when I had my long gun and primary sidearm in a drop down rig.

05-17-2011, 4:05 PM
OK I got a question, my father, a retired CHP capt wants to got an ankle holster for his Airweight that I bought him, I dont think it's the best option, but he wants one, most likely I will get him a Galco, he is right handed, but said he might want to try to wear it on his left leg with gun on inside of leg?? he thinks it wont stick out like that, any one ever done that? seems like it would be hard to walk.

I think he's concearned because he had a cheap ankle rig years ago, and it would come loose and let the gun fall out a bit away from his leg.

05-17-2011, 6:55 PM
Wow I've never heard of ankle probs either! That being said, I use a Fobus ankle holster for my airweight, and carry a knife and taser on the left side in case of a struggle.

05-17-2011, 9:17 PM
he is right handed, but said he might want to try to wear it on his left leg with gun on inside of leg??
That is where it is supposed to be worn...did you think you wore it on the outside of your strong side leg?.

You're supposed to draw by reaching between your legs while pulling up the pant leg with your weak hand

05-18-2011, 9:09 AM
When working plain clothes, I made a holster that attached to the inside of my boot for a S&W Chief's Special. It was the back up for my other back up, a Colt Detective. My main duty weapon was a 4" S&W Model 15.

05-19-2011, 5:04 PM
I like the ankle holster for my on duty back up gun. That is the spot that allows me to draw a backup from any body position..face up, face down, standing , sitting, getting choked out, etc.
The pocket carry is good too, but if you are on your face with a guy on your back, you may not be able to access your pocket or vest gun.

05-19-2011, 6:04 PM
When working plain clothes, I made a holster that attached to the inside of my boot for a S&W Chief's Special. It was the back up for my other back up, a Colt Detective. My main duty weapon was a 4" S&W Model 15.
Tackleberry is that you? :D

05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Alessi Holsters....

I have had one for 12 years for a Glock Model 27 .40 caliber and it has been great to use......I don't think it gets any better and they custom fit them to the handgun and it won't be coming loose on you in a foot chase or other actitivity...i know that, be there done that..... :)

05-23-2011, 3:33 PM
Well, here's my report. I got the Galco Ankle Light and it's been great-no pain no binding, no slipping. I couldn't believe some of the stories I read here about ankle problems until I borrowed a buddy's Blackhawk ankle holster. What a difference! My ankle hurt for two days after wearing that thing for only a couple of hours. I guess it really does come down to you get what you pay for.