PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Buckeye 38/40-10mm

f4tweet
12-02-2006, 9:16 PM
I have been bitten by the 10MM bug. I currently own a Glock 20 w/ Barsto barrel, and a Para Ordanace P-16 Limited converted to 10MM. If anyone has seen a Ruger Buckeye 38/40-10 MM conversion in good shape,in any Gun shops in Southern California, please let me know. Thanks. Semper Fi

m1371
12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
I have been bitten by the 10MM bug. I currently own a Glock 20 w/ Barsto barrel, and a Para Ordanace P-16 Limited converted to 10MM. If anyone has seen a Ruger Buckeye 38/40-10 MM conversion in good shape,in any Gun shops in Southern California, please let me know. Thanks. Semper Fi

Keep an eye on the firearms auction sites (ie- GunBroker, etc) as there seem to be one or two available fairly frequently.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61710895
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61672730

If you haven't already, you might want to check out 10mmtalk.com for further info.

f4tweet
12-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The problem is I can't bring them in from out of state.

m1371
12-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The problem is I can't bring them in from out of state.

Yes, you can. It's a single-action revolver.

CALIFORNIA FIREARMS LAWS 2006 (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf#xml=http://search.doj.ca.gov:8010/AGSearch/isysquery/6294b052-9542-498b-b3ce-1b3096bd81d3/6/hilite/)

Look on page 46 of 65 in there, where it outlines which handguns are NOT required to be on the approved list.

Get your Buckeye and enjoy it. :D

f4tweet
12-03-2006, 5:06 PM
I sent a PM, but can anybody else help explain how to do this. Thanks.

m1371
12-03-2006, 8:26 PM

PM replied to.

zefflyn
12-03-2006, 8:34 PM
How to do what?

If you mean buy out of state, you find a seller, agree on price & send off your money. You find out who their FFL is (addr or fax #) and have your preferred FFL mail or fax their permit to the other guy's FFL - or to the seller, if he's a FFL.

When they get the FFL, they ship it to your guy, and when it gets there, you start up the paperwork, pay some fees, wait ten days, then pick it up.

f4tweet
12-08-2006, 7:27 AM
Back to top.

f4tweet
01-06-2007, 9:13 PM
Back to top.

bwiese
01-06-2007, 9:24 PM
OOPS APOLOGIES, I GOT DYSLEXIC.... you can ignore text below dotted line; while correct, I got Buckeye vs Hawkeye confused.

... Ruger Buckeye - special single-action Blackhawk revolver run for Buckeye Distributing.

.. Ruger Hawkeye - Ruger pistol on SA frame that has single-shot tilt-out chamber.

Yes, Ruger Buckeye editions are exempt single-action revolvers.
Ruger Hawkeyes are likely not - they are single-shot pistols that may not be dimensionally large enough to be exempt under 12133PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ruger HAWKEYE is *not* a single-action revolver - or at least does not qualify under CA definition - it is a single-shot pistol!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the HAWKeyes do not have a cylinder, but a single shot tip-out loading chamber instead.)

Aside from dimensional restrictions, 12133 PC defines exempt single-action revolvers to have ability to chamber 5 or more rounds. Clearly the HAWKeye's tilt-out single chamber removes it from CA's defined exempt single-action status.

As per 12133PC, modern single shots are exempt from safe gun listing, drop test, etc. if and only if they have bbls of 6" or more length, and overall length of 10.5" or more.

You will have to find one in CA to PPT, unless you can find one out of state with a long barrel that brings it up to the min. size standards for single-shot pistols, or can do a barrel swap on it before it enters California to render it dimensionally exempt.

zefflyn
01-06-2007, 9:29 PM
INCORRECT. The Ruger Buckeye is *not* a single-action revolver - or at least does not qualify under CA definition - it is a single-shot pistol!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the Buckeyes do not have a cylinder, but a single shot tip-out loading chamber instead.)

The two featured in the auctions posted above have regular 6-shot cylinders.

m1371
01-06-2007, 9:36 PM
INCORRECT. The Ruger Buckeye is *not* a single-action revolver - or at least does not qualify under CA definition - it is a single-shot pistol!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the Buckeyes do not have a cylinder, but a single shot tip-out loading chamber instead.)

Aside from dimensional restrictions, 12133 PC defines exempt single-action revolvers to have ability to chamber 5 or more rounds. Clearly the Buckeye's tilt-out single chamber removes it from CA's defined exempt single-action status.

As per 12133PC, modern single shots are exempt from safe gun listing, drop test, etc. if and only if they have bbls of 6" or more length, and overall length of 10.5" or more.

You will have to find one in CA to PPT, unless you can find one out of state with a long barrel that brings it up to the min. size standards for single-shot pistols, or can do a barrel swap on it before it enters California to render it dimensionally exempt.

Uhhhhh.......... Bill?

Have you even bothered to take a look at one?

It's a single-action revolver.

I have NO idea where you're getting the whole "tilt-out single chamber" thing.

For example: http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---owatonna---handgun---586762-rugr3840-owa.shtml

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3973/586762rugr3840owa02mmb8.jpg

bwiese
01-06-2007, 9:42 PM
Oops, sorry. I edited my original post. Got confused.

Ruger BUCKEYES are special editions for Buckeye Distributing and are indeed legit, exempt single-action revolvers.

I confused them with Ruger HAWKEYES, a fairly rare pistol based on an SA frame, but which has a flip-out/tilt-out chamber instead of loading gate; there is no cylinder present in a HAWKEYE.

Hawkeye is an actual Ruger model name; 'Buckeye' referse to a distributor (kinda like we speak of "Acusport Bisleys").

Hawkeyes are fairly rare and highly desirable.

Sorry about the sturm und drang, close enough is good enough for the DOJ but not us...

f4tweet
12-20-2008, 9:14 PM
Bump

gotgunz
12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Bump

From nearly 2 years ago? :eek:

f4tweet
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Why not? Somebody might decide to sell one. Besides, I still want one.