PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Rifle time coming up again!

M. Sage
12-02-2006, 5:45 PM
The 17'th at Chabot - it's gonna be a good time as always, I'm sure. Who's planning on being there?

http://chabotgunclub.com/tactical_rifle.htm

Badong
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I will try be there.
Last match I almost did not make the signup when I arrived at 9:30 AM.

M. Sage
12-04-2006, 7:26 PM
Yeah, it helps to be early. :p Then you can help set up! Maybe even get roped into being an SO. :D

rocketboy
12-06-2006, 7:51 AM
I'm in!! I missed the last one.

JamesY
12-06-2006, 3:03 PM
I missed the last one and unfortunately, I'll have to miss this one as well... Don't you just love Christmas parties?

rocketboy
12-06-2006, 3:35 PM
I missed the last one and unfortunately, I'll have to miss this one as well... Don't you just love Christmas parties?

Dude, you teh suck!! Haven't seen ya in a while. How was your trip!?:)

blkA4alb
12-06-2006, 3:37 PM
Whats the format of this competition like? I would consider entering but the only rifle I could do it with has a 20" bull barrel and fixed mag. Though I could just take the PG off and go detachable, but I wouldn't have any grip or working safety:o .

M. Sage
12-06-2006, 6:07 PM
Short-range, fairly quick. Kinda like a combat pistol course, but with a rifle. The bull barrel probably isn't a plus, but it shouldn't hinder you, either. Longest shot possible on this is about 70 yards. You'll see shots inside 20, the closest targets I can think of were probably only 5 feet from my muzzle.

Shooting from behind all sorts of different covers, sometimes you'll be told to take certain targets from certain positions behind the cover, occasionally shooting under stuff (sometimes really low stuff), etc. It's hard to know what to expect, it changes every time. The stages are designed by the people who show up to shoot, and modified if needed by the organizer.

I'd go detachable in your case, but there were two fixed-mag ARs there last time, they were in Open Class with me. It worked out Ok for 'em, and they were both pretty slick on their reloading strategies. Fixed-mag can be done. Detachable puts you in Semi-Auto class. FWIW, it's less about the gun you shoot (there's everything from registered ARs, OLLs, SU-16s and M1As. I use a 91/30, cause I'm poor.)

I don't see a problem with the safety being out, it's open and unloaded with muzzles straight up when you're not hot.

It's not really serious competition (though there are some REALLY good riflemen out there!), I do it for the sake of getting off the bench.

Contact info for the organizer is on the link I posted above if you have any other questions, or feel free to ask me. I'll let ya know if I can't handle 'em.

oaklander
12-06-2006, 6:23 PM
I'm in.

M. Sage
12-06-2006, 6:44 PM
Sweet! Feelin' like a FAL this time around? :cool: Or gonna hit it with the M1 Carbine again?

megavolt121
12-06-2006, 7:00 PM
Whats the format of this competition like? I would consider entering but the only rifle I could do it with has a 20" bull barrel and fixed mag. Though I could just take the PG off and go detachable, but I wouldn't have any grip or working safety:o .

I ran this course w/ the fixed mag last time. It is doable if you keep the following in mind...

-Walk through the course and count shots to figure out where the best reloading points are.
-Take your time loading. If you rush, you get flustered and drop ammo.
-After you load, chamber a round, and top off your mag. There was part of one course where I needed 12 rounds before a good reload point. I had one in the tube, 10 in the mag, and an extra round in my mouth. When all 11 ran out, I dropped the extra mag into the ejection port, slammed it shut and fired.
-You only compete w/ M.Sage.. he sucks.. jk Mike. He'll give you a run for your money.

JamesY
12-06-2006, 7:47 PM
Dude, you teh suck!! Haven't seen ya in a while. How was your trip!?:)

I know, I know. I'll have to check what time my fiance's (yep, got engaged! I guess I'm not a good listener ;) ) Christmas party is at. If it's late enough, I might be able to set up and run the course really quickly.

The vacatioin was GRRRRRREAT! It's a little hard coming back home once you're in HI for 1.5 weeks. Couldn't have asked for a better trip, except of course, she wouldn't let me take a peek at the nude beach in Maui. I would have had an even better time :D

kaneda
12-06-2006, 9:58 PM
I know, I know. I'll have to check what time my fiance's (yep, got engaged! I guess I'm not a good listener ;) ) Christmas party is at. If it's late enough, I might be able to set up and run the course really quickly.

The vacatioin was GRRRRRREAT! It's a little hard coming back home once you're in HI for 1.5 weeks. Couldn't have asked for a better trip, except of course, she wouldn't let me take a peek at the nude beach in Maui. I would have had an even better time :D

Hey James,

Congrats on getting engaged. She's a lucky woman and you're an even luckier guy. haha, j/k.

I'm planning on making the shoot. Hope to see you there. If not, see you next year.

Kenny

rocketboy
12-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry Mike, but.....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h243/readytorock556/hijacker_1.jpg

James you are a lucky man ++ your woman likes shooting and that makes it even better.

PurplePeople
12-07-2006, 3:50 PM
We're planning on turning up again. Still sharing an SU16 between us. Picked up a few Bushy AR mags in place of the Keltec std. issue, might speed things up a tad. Sure hope the upcoming storm doesn't turn Range 5 into Chabot Swamp...

(We now return this tread to its regularly scheduled digression.)

M. Sage
12-07-2006, 8:15 PM
(We now return this tread to its regularly scheduled digression.)

Lol!

I didn't get a chance to say hi last weekend. I noticed you two on the public line, I was shooting with my wife.

-You only compete w/ M.Sage.. he sucks..

I forget... who got the top Open score? :D :p

Seriously, planning on showing up again? That 11+1 reload struck me as being slick as hell.

JamesY
12-08-2006, 5:31 PM
Thanks, Kenny & Paul. If she didn't like shooting, I guess she wouldn't be buying me an M1A as an engagement present :)

Anyway, looks like I won't make it since the party is at 10AM. Have fun, everyone!

megavolt121
12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I forget... who got the top Open score? :D :p

Seriously, planning on showing up again? That 11+1 reload struck me as being slick as hell.

Top out of three people..

Sorry I won't be able to make it. We have our Christmas party the night before. (Accountants + Open bar = No shooting the next morning. Esp if you wake up still drunk)

M. Sage
12-09-2006, 8:07 PM
Sounds like a good time! Have fun.

F4E Phantom
12-13-2006, 8:29 AM
Looks like it is not going to stop raining. Are we still a go for this Sunday. I don't like my toys getting wet.

rocketboy
12-13-2006, 8:57 AM
Crap! Just got bumped to Saturday's Tac Pistol. Wife made plans for Sunday and didn't speak up till the last minute. Oh well, see ya next time fellas.

grywlfbg
12-14-2006, 3:09 PM
Hey guys. My wife's X-Mas party is the night before so I probably won't be able to show up early enoguh to shoot but I'd like to come watch to learn what you all wear, try to get a feel on sling vs no sling, etc.

I've never done any tactical stuff - just deer and pig hunting as a kid and bench stuff since. Though last week I started practicing shooting 50 yards ffrom different positions. Do you think I should shoot Rifle PPC before doing Tac rifle?

I have a fixed mag OLL but w/o stripper clips I don't think tac rifle is feasible? I'm in the process of building a gripless rifle (waiting on the new MM grip) so I expect to compete next year.

Finally, where is Tac rifle held? I've only been to Range 1. When I drive into Chabot do I just keep driving until I see Range 5?

M. Sage
12-14-2006, 6:36 PM
Chabot Tactical Rifle can be done with no clips and a fixed-mag build. I got to see two people do it last go. Was really fun to watch, they had to have solid reload strategy to get by. A fixed-mag will put you in a different class than a detachable-mag semi-auto.

Sling? IMO, definitely. It keeps your hands free and muzzle up. As long as you know how to sling and unsling without sweeping everybody around you, it'll be fine.

What do we wear? Everything from all tacticooled-out gear to jeans and t-shirts. Even in warm weather, I probably wouldn't recommend shorts, you'll scrape the crap outta your knees. This weekend will probably be a bit muddy, so I'm planning on bringing a spare change of clothes. You just need to keep in mind you need somewhere to keep ammo for a stage. That can be a pocket, or pockets, an ammo/mag pouch, or whatever works for you.

You sign up and pay and all that down at the range 4/5 area. If you can get there early (looks like you might not make it in time anyway, but sometimes we get started a bit late, so mabye bring your toys anyway), you can help us set up. :D Maybe get stuck working a stage. :cool:

@Phantom: AFAIK, it's a go rain or shine. Feel free to emial Scott to find out if you want. I'm going to show up and take it on faith. If it's a wash, I'll just wander down to the public line and destroy milsurp for the UN for a while. :p

oaklander
12-15-2006, 5:44 PM
Sweet! Feelin' like a FAL this time around? :cool: Or gonna hit it with the M1 Carbine again?

My stripper clip fu is still not as powerful as I would like - M1 Carbine time again!

oaklander
12-15-2006, 5:46 PM
p.s. - if you haven't done this yet - it's a blast!!!

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 3:44 PM
Well, that was a fun! Glad to meet some of ya. It seemed to be a good turnout.

grywlfbg
12-17-2006, 4:05 PM
Well, that was a fun! Glad to meet some of ya. It seemed to be a good turnout.

Definitely. I am SO glad I made it in time to shoot! I had a blast. It was good to meet M. Sage, Oaklander, and the purple people. For anyone else who was there, I was the guy w/ the fixed-mag AR, green sweater, and green hat. We need calguns shirts or hats!

Everyone was very patient with my newbiness (I was so nervous my first stage that I forgot to turn on my EOTech - I just shot the stage w/ irons) and fixed-mag reloads (that 34-shot stage was brutal!). Anyone know of a 10-round AR mag that will accept stripper clips? :D

I'll definitely be back. Looking forward to Rifle PPC as well (though my gripless build will be finished as soon as MonsterMan finishes his new grips).

See everyone next time!

Chris

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 4:11 PM
Heh, they put up with me every time, dunno why they wouldn't put up with you. :p

Stage one was a killer for me, too. Man, 5 round capacity makes it tough. A couple of times, I stopped to reload and forgot which target I was on.... So I wound up shooting some of 'em 4 times.

grywlfbg
12-17-2006, 7:47 PM
Heh, they put up with me every time, dunno why they wouldn't put up with you. :p

Stage one was a killer for me, too. Man, 5 round capacity makes it tough. A couple of times, I stopped to reload and forgot which target I was on.... So I wound up shooting some of 'em 4 times.

Yep. That happened to me on stage 2 - I ended up having to throw in an extra reload as I double-shot 2 targets. Maybe we can switch to all steels for those of us who have short memories ;)

Chris

kaneda
12-18-2006, 7:09 AM
:(

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I was too exhausted to make it to the shoot that morning. Hope to make it up in the New Year. Happy Holidays to all.

midvalleyshooter
12-18-2006, 7:18 AM
Hey this was my first time out to this match. I enjoyed myself and I suggest anyone who likes to shoot a rifle (or carbine) give it a try:) I was the guy shooting the old mini 14 ranch.

Keith

Badong
12-18-2006, 11:06 PM
About how many showed up ?

M. Sage
12-19-2006, 5:48 PM
Yep, we all had a good time. I don't know how many people showed up, but we'll find out when we get the scores. It was a pretty good turn out, I thought it was a good mix of new blood and regulars.

Two of the regulars got "broken in" as SOs on stages. Mr. Purple (if you will :p ) and Oaklander - I helped Oaklander on Stage 2 by being the score-card guy. You guys did a great job, IMO. Everything stayed running smooth from what I could see.

Thanks to all the tapers, too! Taping those holes helps get everybody onto the stages faster. Thanks, too for waiting for us to score said holes before taping. Don't wanna get people out there QUITE that fast. :eek: :D

grywlfbg
12-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Yep. I can't say enough how welcoming everyone was. I was expecting a very hard-core, "professional" group that would be frustrated by my slow stage times but everyone was so helpful and patient.

If you're the least bit curious come on out and give it a try (Though February may be a bit dodgy on the weather).

Chris

M. Sage
12-20-2006, 6:11 PM
(Though February may be a bit dodgy on the weather).

Chris

That just makes things more interesting. :D

Glad you had fun, and hopefully you'll become another regular. Every time, this seems to be more about fun than about who has the biggest... umm... rifle. Scott does a really good job of keeping it friendly and low-stress. Just running the stage with that timer going and knowing everybody's watching is enough for me, no need to add in a highly competitive atmosphere.

OptionX3
12-20-2006, 10:12 PM
anything like this for so. cal? I feel like we're missing out.

grywlfbg
12-30-2006, 6:49 PM
That just makes things more interesting. :D

Glad you had fun, and hopefully you'll become another regular. Every time, this seems to be more about fun than about who has the biggest... umm... rifle. Scott does a really good job of keeping it friendly and low-stress. Just running the stage with that timer going and knowing everybody's watching is enough for me, no need to add in a highly competitive atmosphere.

Definitely! Actually, in the new year I'm planning to compete in both open and semi-auto classes :D I have some ideas for using stripper clips on my fixed-mag AR for the open class and I'm working on a gripless build (just waiting on Monsterman's new grips) for the semi-auto class. Now I just need some tacti-cool clothing :rolleyes:

Franksremote
01-02-2007, 3:15 PM
Are my pre-ban ar's welcome at this Tactical Shoot? or am I going to have to make it CA legal in order to participate?

I've been looking for a whiles for something like this (event) and am glad to have stumbled upon this and would love to bring the gf to the Feb '07 event.

rocketboy
01-02-2007, 3:28 PM
Are my pre-ban ar's welcome at this Tactical Shoot? or am I going to have to make it CA legal in order to participate?

I've been looking for a whiles for something like this (event) and am glad to have stumbled upon this and would love to bring the gf to the Feb '07 event.

Your good-to-go with your prebans. I always bring mine!!;)

gose
01-02-2007, 4:17 PM
I'll probably show up as well, even though I hope it will get moved to another date...

Franksremote
01-02-2007, 5:54 PM
Your good-to-go with your prebans. I always bring mine!!;)

That being the case, we'll be there. It sounds like fun!

gamename
01-02-2007, 6:04 PM
I'm in! I just came to watch last time. This time I'll be there with my M1A.

-T

gamename
01-02-2007, 6:07 PM
Just to be clear, the next match is Feb 18th. Correct?

gose
01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Just to be clear, the next match is Feb 18th. Correct?

There was a rumor that the match might get moved, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this...

M. Sage
01-03-2007, 8:12 PM
I'm sure Scott will update us when he sends out scores. I'll make sure to post it if it's in there.

I kinda hope it gets bumped. I'd like to try tactical pistol.

aznglocker
01-05-2007, 2:03 PM
I had a great time, it was my first time shooting tactical rifle at Chabot. Midvalleyshooter and I were part of the Turlock contingent that showed up out there. If anyone remembers I was the one shooting the funny looking AR. Could someone tell me how the scores were tabulated? My thanks to Scott and everyone else who help set the match up. I'll try to make out there again soon.

grywlfbg
01-05-2007, 3:46 PM
I'm sure Scott will update us when he sends out scores. I'll make sure to post it if it's in there.

I kinda hope it gets bumped. I'd like to try tactical pistol.

I received my scores earlier this week (dead last - nowhere to go but up!) and in that note Scott said he wouldn't be able to make Feb and that he was trying to find a replacement. Hopefully he'll update us. Maybe someone should call Chabot in a few weeks?

Ooooh, just noticed PPC is coming up next Sunday. I don't have enough mags for my glock so I may bring the new gripless AR out there. :) Anyone else going?

M. Sage
01-05-2007, 9:36 PM
Man, I hadn't noticed the scores were in earlier this week... I finally got bumped off the top of Open... It was bound to happen. :D At least it was someone else with another $80 WWII surplus junker that did it! :cool:

I had a great time, it was my first time shooting tactical rifle at Chabot. Midvalleyshooter and I were part of the Turlock contingent that showed up out there. If anyone remembers I was the one shooting the funny looking AR. Could someone tell me how the scores were tabulated? My thanks to Scott and everyone else who help set the match up. I'll try to make out there again soon.

Ahhh, yeah. You FLEW through Stage 2, if you're who I'm thinking of! Glad you had a good time! Hope to see your group out there next time, you seemed like cool guys.

I don't remember how scoring works, it's some complex time vs accuracy thing. Math was never my strong point.

I think I'll hit the tactical pistol in Febuary whether or not the rifles are going. I'll just hit both. :D Hopefully my wife understands me spending a weekend at the range... I should just bring my tent and camp at Chabot.

gose
01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
I received my scores earlier this week (dead last - nowhere to go but up!) and in that note Scott said he wouldn't be able to make Feb and that he was trying to find a replacement. Hopefully he'll update us. Maybe someone should call Chabot in a few weeks?

Ooooh, just noticed PPC is coming up next Sunday. I don't have enough mags for my glock so I may bring the new gripless AR out there. :) Anyone else going?

I'll be there (as always), unless Tahoe gets a good dump.
Might try the rifle match this time.

grywlfbg
01-07-2007, 9:48 PM
I'll be there (as always), unless Tahoe gets a good dump.
Might try the rifle match this time.

Cool. Look for me - I'm always up for meeting more calgunners. I'll be the one w/ a gripless AR and the bewildered look. :eek:

Chris

M. Sage
01-07-2007, 9:50 PM
Cool. Look for me - I'm always up for meeting more calgunners. I'll be the one w/ a gripless AR and the bewildered look. :eek:

Chris

I'll be the one with the rifle that stands taller than half the people on range. :cool:

Caseless
01-13-2007, 5:16 PM
Man, I hadn't noticed the scores were in earlier this week... I finally got bumped off the top of Open... It was bound to happen. :D At least it was someone else with another $80 WWII surplus junker that did it!

Sage, The only reason I was able to fire the M44 so quickly is because I was using low-recoil 7.62x54R ammo.:p
I'll use full power rounds the next time if my Past recoil pad arrives before the next match.

M. Sage
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Sage, The only reason I was able to fire the M44 so quickly is because I was using low-recoil 7.62x54R ammo.:p

Lol, funniest thing I've heard all week!

With the fireball coming from the end of your M44's barrel, I really doubt anything was reduced! :cool: At these shoots, I've really started wishing I'd bought an M38 instead.