View Full Version : Buckmark rail screws --> always loose!

05-14-2011, 1:39 AM
Do your rail screws always work themselves loose too? I've tried new washers, and blue loctite.... I called Browning too and they said "they are just like that". Anyone else have this issue? I love my buckmark, and maintain it well, but this is quite annoying. I was thinking of using clear nail polish instead of loctite next time.

05-14-2011, 7:27 AM
Degrease the screw holes with alcohol first and then put in a non-permanent loctite.

Hillbilly Flyer
05-14-2011, 5:21 PM
I had the same problem on my Buckmark. It had a washer under the rail at the back screw. The problem was that the tinny piece of crap that Browning uses for the rail would bind up the slide if the rear screw was tightened. I tried loctite but it didn't do any good.I bought a Tactical Solutions rail that is a picatinny rail with a rear sight incorporated into it. It is much more substantial and you can tighten the screws without binding up the slide. I use loctite with it but have not had the screws come loose since it was installed.

05-14-2011, 5:54 PM
Never had that problem? news to me. I was having issues with my mag popping out after a few rounds though.

05-14-2011, 7:02 PM
Is this one of the screws that you need to unscrew to field strip the pistol?

If so, then I don't remember mine coming loose while shooting. How many rounds do you shoot each time? Maybe I just didn't shoot as many rounds (I usually shoot 100rnds/session; maybe 200 at most). I used to clean after each session (I was a newbie and was actually excited to clean a pistol back then :)

05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a Tac Sol rail, and i clean the screws good before tightening. I probably shoot 100-300rds/session, and often tighten down 1-2 x a session. Usually the forward screw is worse, I wonder if I get more vibration due to the lightweight TS barrel I have up front...who knows. I otherwise love my buckmark, but this is annoying. I have many 1000's of rounds through, but its been doing this since day 1.

05-16-2011, 8:49 AM
I used red loctite on my TacSol Buckmark. Held up better than usual. My screws usually come loose every so often as well. Maybe I should start carryinig around an allen wrench bullet button tool on my keychain. :D

05-16-2011, 3:55 PM
It happens all the time with my Buckmark. I just keep a screw driver in my gun box. I recently bought loctite but have not been to the range since applying it.

05-17-2011, 10:50 PM
ya, i always have an allen wrench to tighten and check every 100 rounds. I love buckmarks, and after completely taking it apart its so simple of a gun, I just wish it'd stay tight!! I shoot it more than any other gun, @ 50 feet it strikes fear in the hearts of a swinging tennis ball.

05-18-2011, 6:19 AM
Never been a problem. Mine had little lock washers and they've worked perfectly.

05-18-2011, 7:48 AM
Teflon tape is your friend.

05-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Haven't had that problem either. The washes hold the screws tight on mine.

06-11-2011, 9:07 AM
When I field strip my buckmark I clean the screws and holds first with fingernail polish remover and then use blue locktite on them. Works great for me. I will go out and shoot between 300 - 500 rounds at a time and they stay tight.

06-11-2011, 8:54 PM
man..good idea... i have some nail polish remover somewhere... was gonna buy some clear nailpolish too lol. I still might, never know when it might come in hand ;) "its....not for me...its...its for my gun!!"

06-11-2011, 9:09 PM
When I field strip my buckmark I clean the screws and holds first with fingernail polish remover and then use blue locktite on them. Works great for me. I will go out and shoot between 300 - 500 rounds at a time and they stay tight.

This...mine always got sloppy after 200 rds or so, this was the fix. Worse after installing a TacSol barrel, no now issues.

06-11-2011, 9:19 PM
Can't recommend the TacSol rail enough. I had Browning replace the plastic sight base twice before buying the Metal TacSol... and I've never had an issue with binding, screws or cracking, since.

06-12-2011, 12:11 AM
ya..i have tacsol barrel and rail... and... loose screws even with blue loctite and also with teflon tape (my latest attempt).. I will try the np remover method and this time i'm gonna find some nail polish too...

06-14-2011, 7:24 PM
Yhis may be too late to help you, but have you replaced the bolt buffer? The bolt may be hammering the screws loose due to the worn buffer. You can find them at Midway.

06-14-2011, 8:36 PM
Same here......tighten it every 300-500 rounds.

06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
My Buckmark with TacSol rail comes loose too but not after 100 rounds... more like 500 maybe. Are you using enough loctite to thoroughly fill the gaps in the threads?

06-16-2011, 8:32 AM
Blue Loctite works for me. Getting a new star washer may help. I also had the grip screw come loose and the magazine retention spring fell out. Blue loctite helped again.

07-03-2011, 11:18 PM
sadness of sadness, my tacsol barrel or make that my front site screw and rail screw gave up the ghost, the front site sleeve failed and my front site flew off. On complete disassemble I noticed the sleeve failing on the rail screw too. I love my barrel for its weight and accuracy, but the screw holes sure are not as robust as I would hope. Currently at tacsol being repaired or even better, replaced *crosses fingers*.

07-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Barrel fixed, new screw hole inserts placed... took a bit over a week, i paid my ship them, they paid ship to me.. overall, good TS service.