PDA

View Full Version : On-List or Off-List...AR's are boring. Get yourself a fun gun.

scootergmc
12-02-2006, 1:05 PM
I did... Marlin 1895GS .45-70!!! A buddy in Reno has one. The most fun I've ever had with a rifle!! I had to have one of my own! :D

ghost
12-02-2006, 3:38 PM
you cant compare a lever action rifle to ar15.two different rifles!hmmmm

Joe
12-02-2006, 3:40 PM
Yea, looks real fun :rolleyes:

M14Gunman
12-02-2006, 3:42 PM
you cant compare a lever action rifle to ar15.two different rifles!hmmmm

Its like saying.... Ditch that ferarri and buy a car thats fun! A lifted off-road 4x4.... :)

Both are fun in different ways....

NRAhighpowershooter
12-02-2006, 4:05 PM
Boring??!!!??? the poster sounds one of the DOJ's plants to me.... make us think AR's are boring so we won't buy any more lowers....:rolleyes: :p

sheeshhhh.........:D

TonyNorCal
12-02-2006, 4:10 PM
One of the great things about firearms as a hobby is that there are so many diverse options...and dare I say all are fun:D .

One could spend a lifetime and a lot of money and still have many roads to go.

ARs are fun, precision bolt action is fun, inexpensive milsurps with 50 year old commie ammo are fun, modernized clones of wild west lever guns are fun...list goes on and on.

That Davidsons Limited looks sweet.

I think a .45-70 in a short, compact, repeating package would be a great addition to any collection...sure it'll cost more than an AR to shoot...especially for those who aren't reloading gurus...but it would make a fine bush gun and could also be pressed into service for SHTF and home defense...nothing like getting thumped with a 300-400 grain bullet:p .

Also, the historical significance of the .45-70 makes it interesting.

Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun...stainless...

There's just something about leverguns.....
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/41204

Prc329
12-02-2006, 4:11 PM
I have 2 ARs and an 1894c in .357. two completely different shooting experiences.

cornholio1
12-02-2006, 4:12 PM
I did... Marlin 1895GS .45-70!!! A buddy in Reno has one. The most fun I've ever had with a rifle!! I had to have one of my own! :D

How much was it?

scootergmc
12-02-2006, 5:20 PM
This one was $670 before tax, license, dealer prep. extended warranty, etc.... I bought it at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin today at their grand opening. I actually didn't want this model, this is the Limited Edition, one of 500, I wanted the standard GS. But the Marlin Rep I was talking to said Marlin is not meeting the public demand for the standard 1895GS. There are none in stock at any of the wholesale dealers, and Marlin won't give anyone a timetable. Interesting stuff coming from the Rep. The Davidson Rep who was with the Marlin Rep said this Limited Edition series was actually requested by Davidson. Basically the only difference between this and the standard GS is the FO sights and the XLR-model furniture. It's really nothing special to me, I just didn't want to wait for the standard GS.

And it's funny to see you AR guys get all puffed up, like I violated some oath of Calguns... I'm actually an On-list member... don't worry.. I'm not here to get anyone's panties in a bunch... :D

NeoWeird
12-02-2006, 5:25 PM
You're name has scooter in it...

...you're obviously a family member of Wes. :p

And since no one has said it yet, why not buy both...twice...and another time for safe queens? :D

markymark
12-02-2006, 5:30 PM
I'm gonna get me a lever action one of these days...

M. Sage
12-02-2006, 5:52 PM
One of the great things about firearms as a hobby is that there are so many diverse options...and dare I say all are fun:D .

One could spend a lifetime and a lot of money and still have many roads to go.

ARs are fun, precision bolt action is fun, inexpensive milsurps with 50 year old commie ammo are fun, modernized clones of wild west lever guns are fun...list goes on and on.

Big +1 to all that. I shot a friend's AR out of state recently, so it was as evil as you can get without a tax stamp, and it was tons of fun. Was it more/less fun than my 91/30 or Marlin 60? No, it was just fun in a different way.

Full-power (or more, in the case of a .45/70) rifles are fun, just cause of how hard they're rocking whatever is downrange, IMO. :D

I think a .45-70 in a short, compact, repeating package would be a great addition to any collection...sure it'll cost more than an AR to shoot...especially for those who aren't reloading gurus...but it would make a fine bush gun and could also be pressed into service for SHTF and home defense...nothing like getting thumped with a 300-400 grain bullet:p .

Hehehe, *SPLAT!* and there goes an arm. :P

JHC
12-02-2006, 6:33 PM
Here's my fun gun, while I do find ARs fun they don't satisfy my appetite for recoil.:)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/phone015.jpg

Fjold
12-02-2006, 7:04 PM

If you're going to get a fun gun, get a real fun gun!

Left handed Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H magnum:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00300.jpg

Ryan HBC
12-02-2006, 7:46 PM
::Looks at lever action gun::

::Looks at tricked out AR's::

Yeah, that lever gun looks like a barrel of fricken monkeys......?

eckerph
12-02-2006, 8:03 PM
I had a marlin 336, it never really took and i sold it to my friend for $200. Besides if you want some real fun, get a .460 wetherby mag ,only cost $5 a pull.

PIRATE14
12-02-2006, 8:29 PM
well don't tell anyone but I purchased a lever action Winchester 30-30AE today......it was brand new......don't think I'll be shootin it but it would be fun.................:eek:

guimus
12-02-2006, 8:33 PM
My 1894C (lever-action .357mag) is the only rifle (of about 10) in my collection that goes to the range every time. The AR's have to take turns.

mltrading
12-02-2006, 8:59 PM
How about the Air Force Condor air rifle? It shoots .22 pellets at 1250fps.

No FFL required.:D

sammy
12-02-2006, 9:05 PM
I just got back from the range about 3 hours ago. Shot my new fixed mag AR-15 and I cannot wipe the smile off my face. It is the most fun I have ever had at the range. Cannot wait to get back. Also randomly ran into a fellow calgunner. Very nice NM M1a. Sammy

Paratus et Vigilans
12-02-2006, 9:24 PM
Guns are like cars - you can never really have too many, and there's no such thing as one that does everything you need it to do - the best of all worlds would be to have at hand at any given time just the right one to fit your varying needs and moods.

Take cars - I love driving my SUV, but there are times I wish it had a trunk, or was a convertible sports car, or a luxury sedan, or a jeep, or a pick up. If I had the money and the space, I'd buy 'em all so I could pick and choose. Only a very few of us can do that with cars.

Lots of us can do that with guns! :)

My Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 is fun to shoot in a whole different way than my Stags and BM's are - - glad I have a choice! :D

Prc329
12-02-2006, 9:26 PM
1894C shooting steel at Angeles was the most fun I have had at the range in a while. Shooting my Ar will be fun as well. I can see how they will be totally diffrent types of shooting though.

bonjing
12-02-2006, 9:30 PM
Take cars - I love driving my SUV, but there are times I wish it had a trunk, or was a convertible sports car, or a luxury sedan, or a jeep, or a pick up. If I had the money and the space, I'd buy 'em all so I could pick and choose. Only a very few of us can do that with cars.

wasn't there a nissan or something that could do all of that? :p

Poohgyrr
12-03-2006, 4:08 PM
Great minds think alike!! :D

EMF M92 in .44 Special before the tang sight and ammo cuff were added:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5015/croppedm92444cb.jpg

Dave in LB
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
I enjoy all my guns but the one that make s me smile the most is the Marlin 1895G in 45-70. It's a good get and have a great time with it.

Dave in LB
12-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry Duplicate

scootergmc
12-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Great minds think alike!! :D

EMF M92 in .44 Special before the tang sight and ammo cuff were added:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5015/croppedm92444cb.jpg

Sweet!!

Bump- because there are too many AR/OLL/AK threads right now!!

Outlaw Josey Wales
12-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Basically the only difference between this and the standard GS is the FO sights and the XLR-model furniture. It's really nothing special to me, I just didn't want to wait for the standard GS.

I was at the Rocklin store today and saw the limited edition gun on display. If I didn't already have a standard stainless Guide Gun I might have purchased one of these instead. Besides I am looking for an XLR, which they had sold out of before my arrival. :mad:

Scooter you must be very happy with your new rifle. Let us know how it shoots for you! :D

ivanimal
12-09-2006, 1:27 AM
Yeah they are fun and easy to reload a straight walled case.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/savage190758.jpg

But why stop there?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/myrifles010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/myrifles009.jpg

scootergmc
12-14-2006, 9:38 AM
Yee haw. Picked it up last night!!!

-Ivan, I wouldn't know what to do if I had that many guns... except not shoot them. :D

sthornwall
12-14-2006, 9:48 AM

Lever action rifles are very accurate and fun but I disagree that AR-type rifles are boring. All the possibilities and options with a black rifle make it (IMHO) the most fun rifle of all. I think this would pretty much be the same with even the AK series.

My dad has a lever action 30-30, I love that thing. I will be the one to inherit it so I am stoked. I think what you mean to say is "shooting and all marksmanship activities are FUN". Sounds like you had a blast, glad you enjoyed yourself.:)

scootergmc
12-14-2006, 1:02 PM
Lever action rifles are very accurate and fun but I disagree that AR-type rifles are boring. All the possibilities and options with a black rifle make it (IMHO) the most fun rifle of all. I think this would pretty much be the same with even the AK series.

My dad has a lever action 30-30, I love that thing. I will be the one to inherit it so I am stoked. I think what you mean to say is "shooting and all marksmanship activities are FUN". Sounds like you had a blast, glad you enjoyed yourself.:)

Nope, I meant to say, "Shooting my AR is boring compared to this thing." I guess I've shot mine too much to be exciting anymore.
The 30-30 and .38/.357 levers are pretty boring too, compared to this thing... :D It absolutely destroys bowling balls...

sthornwall
12-14-2006, 1:43 PM
Nope, I meant to say, "Shooting my AR is boring compared to this thing." I guess I've shot mine too much to be exciting anymore.
The 30-30 and .38/.357 levers are pretty boring too, compared to this thing... :D It absolutely destroys bowling balls...

I got a few bowling balls in the garage left over from when I was a kid.....HMMMM, I never thought to use them for target practice. This should be fun!! Thanks for the idea:cool:

scootergmc
12-14-2006, 2:03 PM
No prob.

chickenfried
12-14-2006, 2:09 PM
Now that's my kind of garage sale! Do you serve cookies and punch too?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/myrifles009.jpg