PDA

View Full Version : hinged magazine for AK-type rifles

alpine18
12-02-2006, 9:30 AM
Looking at my son's airsoft AK I thought of this:

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=29e7f17365905965681f90443a8efb48

Basically, fix a 10-rnd AK mag to the front trunnion. Essentially, the magazine is "fixed" to the rifle by the front hinge, and no other magazine can be inserted. However, it retains the ability to be loaded easily by using the existing mag release to pivot the mag out of the action.
Similar idea to the 10rnd SKS.
Has anyone done this kind of thing yet?

fun2none
12-02-2006, 10:03 AM
The swing-out magazine for Barrett M82CA has already been approved by the DOJ-FD Director. The same design should work for any other rifle.

SemiAutoSam
12-02-2006, 10:05 AM
The only drawback to this design is if a untethered mag can be inserted the firearm is still capable of accepting a detachable magazine.

The swing-out magazine for Barrett M82CA has already been approved by the DOJ-FD Director. The same design should work for any other rifle.

JPglee1
12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
The only drawback to this design is if a untethered mag can be inserted the firearm is still capable of accepting a detachable magazine.

You'd have to make a limiter so it could only swing open enough to load rouds.

Ive thought of it too... i'd rather just shoot the stupid thing with no grip and a 30rd magazine.

JP

Fjold
12-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Just make the pivot so that the magazine only tips about 80 degrees and doesn't completely clear the mag well.

SemiAutoSam
12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I would rather go gripless than to have to be that extreme about it.

Too much hassle. (Read Royal Pain)

the only drawback is your weapon wont have the killing potential without the pistol grip.

but we must make sacrifices to have our weapons after all this is the PRC we live in.

Just make the pivot so that the magazine only tips about 80 degrees and doesn't completely clear the mag well.

SquidBeak
12-02-2006, 2:15 PM
Cool idea but it would be a royal pain to reload.

Prince50
12-02-2006, 2:45 PM
It's a great idea! Do it, make them in large numbers so they are inexpensive, and sell them to us.

We need ideas like this. Do not worry about how hard it is to reload. An AR-15 with a locked mag is no harder to reload, and trust me LOTS of people are doing just that.

Yes the laws suck. Yes the consessions suck, but more alternatives is better than less right? Some folks like the PG look more than massive firepower. Your design will look like an unmodified AK. That is what some people want.

Great concept. Good luck.

Darin

wilit
12-02-2006, 3:03 PM
I think it's a great idea too. Yes, you can go gripless with a fixed stock AK, but for those of us with underfolders, gripless is not an option.

laabstract
12-02-2006, 3:24 PM
I think it's a great idea too. Yes, you can go gripless with a fixed stock AK, but for those of us with underfolders, gripless is not an option.

very true

alpine18
12-02-2006, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. You have a point with the loading... I think this concept would probably be about the same to load as my vulcan fixed mag rifle. Also, I hadn't thought what this would mean for people with underfolders. I think i'll order a couple front trunnions and some 10-rnd mags and see what I can come up with.

Charliegone
12-02-2006, 5:08 PM
You'd have to make a limiter so it could only swing open enough to load rouds.

Ive thought of it too... i'd rather just shoot the stupid thing with no grip and a 30rd magazine.

JP

Same here. I would rather just go gripless. Works fine with me.:D

JPglee1
12-02-2006, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. You have a point with the loading... I think this concept would probably be about the same to load as my vulcan fixed mag rifle. Also, I hadn't thought what this would mean for people with underfolders. I think i'll order a couple front trunnions and some 10-rnd mags and see what I can come up with.

Play with SKS magazines too..they are designed to actually do what you want to do, and with minimal widening the AK receiver will accomodate them.

J

Toolbox X
12-03-2006, 8:18 AM
I think this is a great idea. I'm just starting an AK build myself. This could be the answer I've been looking for.