PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding. Chiappa Puma 1873-22 SA Vs Heritage Rough Rider

TYCONTEST
05-13-2011, 3:50 PM
Okay, went to Turner's today and had planned to purchase the Rough Rider. They also had the Puma there as well and now I don't know what I want. They were the same price.

Puma is more to scale to a real SAA 45lc. I liked the matte finish better. It is heavier. The action is smoother.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/tycontest/puma.jpg

Rough Rider comes with 2 cylinders, do owners of the RR really shoot the magnum as well? The ejector rod is better and smoother. I like that the safety is a simple flip of the thumb.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/tycontest/RR.jpg

Please help me decide! Pros and Cons of each.

tonelar
05-13-2011, 4:06 PM
If the puma has no safety- thats the one Id buy.

TYCONTEST
05-13-2011, 4:15 PM
There is a hammer block safety on the left side that you have to use a 2 pronged key.

Cokebottle
05-13-2011, 6:09 PM
You should buy the Puma.

Why?

Because I just bought the Heritage, and if we go shooting together we can trade guns to see if we made the right choice ;)

dangerranger
05-13-2011, 8:12 PM
the gun on the right is an early Heritage. Ive had it since the early 80s, every kid I know has shot a few hundred rounds through it. my uncle bought it new in the late 70s.its probably had 15 to 20,000 rounds through it. its on its third refinish tho. It still locks up tight as ever. only thing thats been replaced is two trigger springs. it used to ride the tractor with me every day and has shot many snakes and coons. DR

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/dangerranger60/IMG_22811.jpg

davek8s
05-13-2011, 9:13 PM
I use the 22mag cylinder all the time. It's my only 22 mag gun right now. I think you'd be happy with either gun. But I can tell you that my RR is a blast to shoot. I'd buy it again

BayAreaShooter
05-13-2011, 10:48 PM
I have never shot the Chiappa but I am a very happy owner of a Rough Rider. It has served me well with no problems ever. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

vega
05-14-2011, 7:47 PM
Can only comment on the RR, everytime I take it to the range I would scatter some spent shot shells about 25 yards away and shoot it. it's fun seeing those shells fly Kmthrough the air.

aghauler
05-14-2011, 8:15 PM
I just posted a couple of these photos in another thread before I ran across this one. This is my RR with Cocobolo grips, still unfired after a coupla years. Yeah, unfortunately I don't get out much and usually have some newer toy to try out when I do get out. this has the steel frame, not alloy. My FFL searched around for the steel frame said I'd like it better. I didn't know they had to different frames. These seem like nice pistols. BB

TYCONTEST
05-14-2011, 8:39 PM
I just posted a couple of these photos in another thread before I ran across this one. This is my RR with Cocobolo grips, still unfired after a coupla years. Yeah, unfortunately I don't get out much and usually have some newer toy to try out when I do get out. this has the steel frame, not alloy. My FFL searched around for the steel frame said I'd like it better. I didn't know they had to different frames. These seem like nice pistols. BB

I like the finish on this frame. Thanks for sharing.

aghauler
05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome! I "think" but not sure that the "Case Colored" frames are actually alloy. You'd have to research that a little if it makes a difference. BB

Cokebottle
05-15-2011, 1:22 PM
Welcome! I "think" but not sure that the "Case Colored" frames are actually alloy. You'd have to research that a little if it makes a difference. BB
They are all alloy, except for the models with the part numbers "S-RR22MBS#xx"
Those are all satin finish black with the green camo laminate grips.

rubber duckie
05-19-2011, 4:12 PM
stupid question... but why aren't these on the roster? is ther a SA revolver exempt i can't find?

Cokebottle
05-19-2011, 8:08 PM
stupid question... but why aren't these on the roster? is ther a SA revolver exempt i can't find?
Yup.

Single action revolver with a capacity of at least 5 rounds, barrel length of at least 3", and OAL of at least 6.5".

Thank the SASS... and then thank them for aiding in the creation of the roster in the first place. This exemption was a political tradeoff to stop the SASS members from opposing the roster.

para-frame
05-19-2011, 8:36 PM

I hope you didn't pay extra for those "cocobolo" grips, those grips are pakawood.

h2o4lf
05-19-2011, 8:46 PM
Invest in a Ruger single six and don't look back!

m1a1driver
05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm stuck between the Puma and Rough rider too, But i'm leaning toward the rough rider now because of the adjustable sights, longer barrel, and .22lr magnum cylinder.

rubber duckie
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
i saw the ad today and i really want one of these.. maybe just get the puma for cheaper price. i dont expect to use this past 25 yards , just plane fun at the range, so the cheapest one that feels good in my hands will be it.

davek8s
05-20-2011, 8:07 AM
Invest in a Ruger single six and don't look back!

The single six is way nicer, but you can buy 2 RR's for the same price and for what i paid, I'm happy with my heritage

aghauler
05-20-2011, 2:02 PM
I hope you didn't pay extra for those "cocobolo" grips, those grips are pakawood.

Didn't pay extra for the grips as I have no idea what the heck cocobolo is/was. I did pay a little extra for the steel frame as opposed to the alloy. Still much less than a Single Six. I see now Heritage refers to these grips as "Camo" on thier website. A couple of years ago when I bought the pistol they refered to those grips as cocobolo. I have no idea what pakawood is either. BB

ltdanicecream
05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I looked at both the Puma and the Heritage today at Turners. I liked the feel the the Puma, but the sights and the ability to shoot both .22lr and .22 magnum won me over. I'll be picking up the Heritage Rough Rider in 10 days :D

rubber duckie
05-22-2011, 1:07 AM
i think i have to go check out the puma tm. im thinking since ill only be shooting .22lr the puma might be the one.

TYCONTEST
05-22-2011, 9:44 PM
I looked at both the Puma and the Heritage today at Turners. I liked the feel the the Puma, but the sights and the ability to shoot both .22lr and .22 magnum won me over. I'll be picking up the Heritage Rough Rider in 10 days :D

I was thinking about the RR with the fixed sights. So it is the look and feel of the Puma vs the .22 mag cylinder and better ejector for me. Still not sure.

Tom Slick
05-22-2011, 9:54 PM
A friend of mine has a brand new RR that's nearly identical to my Single Six. The RR is mechanically rougher and looser in every way than my Single Six. He regrets buying it but does admit "it was cheap".

TYCONTEST
05-22-2011, 10:11 PM
i think i have to go check out the puma tm. im thinking since ill only be shooting .22lr the puma might be the one.

Let me know if you get one and once in, how it shoots. I think I will buy one for myself for Father's day so any input before will help.