PDA

View Full Version : Robinson M96 rifles.....CA legal?

GI-M1
12-02-2006, 1:45 AM
Has any seen the website for Robinson Armament and their assult rifle that they have (perported) permission to distribute into California?

Robinson Armament Co.
http://www.robarm.com/mainpage.htm

If you click on the "California Rifles" link in the lower right corner of the page, you will see 3 links to letters issued by DOJ and this rifle. According to the last issued letter, it 'appears' that their rifle is 'legal' in California.

Any comments about these letters?

Why do I not see any of these rifles in CA gun shops for sale?

Are the Robinson M96 rifles woth the money and are they fairly accurate?

Are they on the ban list?

Thanks for advice on this 'Stoner' style rifle.

TIA,

Mark
San Diego

James R.
12-02-2006, 1:58 AM
Yes the M96 is legal so long as you leave the pistol grip off the rifle.

IIRC they won't even sell you the grip in California. The stud is left intact however so if you move out of the state you can always add it back on. There was a blow up a number of years back when the DOJ went house to house using data gathered from form 4473's and collected all of the M96's they could get their hands on because they had, "the capacity to accept a pistol grip". Of course there's nothing in the law that says that makes a gun illegal. They ended up with egg on their face and had to give them back...

Buy with confidence...

Regards,

James R.

damon1272
12-02-2006, 5:53 AM
Good luck trying to find a new one. If you are interested in one look on bigerhammer.net. they are expensive and heavy for what you get. Robinson has a bad reputation regarding customers service and when I last spoke with the company 6 months ago they were not even producing the M96.

DV8
12-02-2006, 8:16 AM
Robinson has been concentrating on their XCR hence no more M96. Best bet is to find a used one (one was sold here recently). They dont show up as often but I've seen them at gunshows. I almost buy one but the 1500 or so price tag makes me back up and reconsider the M1A.

They are legal and good guns despite being heavy. Some owners rate them as equal if not better than the AR. There also used to be bren type conversions where the mags fed from the top which made the gun even cooler but those are few and far between nowadays.

Just checked M96.org http://www.m96.org/postnuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=636
looks like theres some for sale, you could buy one there then have the seller remove the pistol grip and be good to go.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-02-2006, 9:54 AM
I just checked and there are several new and used M96's on the auction sites.

Here is one available in CA: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976794583.htm

Here is a brand new one: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976745758.htm

As stated previously, just ask the seller to remove the pistol grip and you are good to go. IMPORTANT !!ÖMake sure the seller has had the rifle upgraded, if needed, by Robinson.

PRODUCT UPGRADE NOTICE ( http://www.robarm.com/Upgrades.asp )

The only complaint I have with my registered M96ís is that the pistol grip is too small for my hand. I have never had any malfunctions and they are reasonably accurate for a rifle with a quick-change barrel.

http://www.fototime.com/5888940CAB0352A/standard.jpg

Itís also fun to collect all the accessories for them.

http://www.fototime.com/19D2E19B2CD631B/standard.jpg

JPglee1
12-02-2006, 9:59 AM
The only complaint I have with my registered M96ís is that the pistol grip is too small for my hand.

Ive heard you can use both a FAL and an AK grip with a little modifications.

I'd think the FAL would work the best. Maybe a "SAW" style FAL grip

J

CALI-gula
12-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Everyone keeps saying they are heavy - they really are not heavy at all. They may not be as light as an AR but I would say that a Mini-14 is heavier than the M96. And an M1A SOCOM is much heavier than the M96 for a similar sized rifle.

And as far as reliability issues, from my observation on the problems that arose, there was contributory negligence on the part of owners handling their guns in a sloppy manner as regards the barrel attachement problems. While Robinson Armament did fix that issue, and made amends, I don't think there was any bad customer service at all. Many of those bad-service stories arose out of irrational people that wanted their rifle returned within 2 days after sending it in for the upgrades. With as many as they had to upgrade, it was understood it might take a few weeks to get all of them done, but people got very impatient, so the bad stories of service got posted online. It was quite unfair to Robinson in many ways. They saw a flaw which could be exasperated by inserting the barrel sloppily, made amends, corrected the problem on later production, and still got hell for it.

As far as getting one, they were always a little hard to get in large number in CA. But now, they are no longer producing it. And yes, they are currently concentrating on their XCR and VEPR rifles, therefore the M96 production has been set aside. However, I got the impression when I last spoke with them at SHOT show 2005, that they will indeed tool up again in the future to continue with the M96 production upon growth obtained through their sales of their VEPR rifles which have really taken off.

Technically, their rifle was the first dabble in OLL rifles here in CA addressing many of the issues that came up later with OLL AR-style receivers. That is why I put the two I own in my Avatar recently, sort of a commentary that the OLL issue has been with us longer than just this past year. The fact that it was based on a Stoner influenced receiver and used AR magazines is of great note.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Ive heard you can use both a FAL and an AK grip with a little modifications.

I'd think the FAL would work the best. Maybe a "SAW" style FAL grip

J

Here is the thread I started on M96.org describing the modifications I did to a penguin FAL pistol grip.

http://www.m96.org/postnuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=595

Q
12-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Itís also fun to collect all the accessories for them.
http://www.fototime.com/19D2E19B2CD631B/standard.jpg

WHOA i called a year or more ago to buy one. they told me discontinued for xcr production. many people rather have an ar for many reasons(cost,parts,and customer support etc.). i wish they would do the belt fed version. that would make me buy one! RA was not really listening to their customers and i guess that is why i never bought one. (promised the belt fed etc) although now that i have money coming in.:D hmmm. i might look for a vepr k. another hard to find RA item. the m96 is sweet. hard to find. just another must have rifle designed by e.stoner. i love how it breaks down.

SquidBeak
12-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Everyone keeps saying they are heavy - they really are not heavy at all. They may not be as light as an AR but I would say that a Mini-14 is heavier than the M96.

Not to split hairs here, but an M96 is a good 1 pound heavier than a Mini 14. Don't get me wrong I love the M96 but it is a little weighty.

xenophobe
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I had one registered in 2000.

Plans for belt-fed upper. Scrapped.
Plans for 7.62x39 mag well and barrel. Scrapped.

I wanted it for the belt-fed conversion. After 6 years of waiting, RA discontinuing the M96 and future plans focused on XCR. I gave up. I sold it.

CALI-gula
12-02-2006, 2:34 PM
Not to split hairs here, but an M96 is a good 1 pound heavier than a Mini 14. Don't get me wrong I love the M96 but it is a little weighty.

I guess you are right. The standard M96 is 7.6 pounds and the standard Ruger Mini 14 is 6.8 pounds. Maybe mine are lighter since they have the skeleton stock and shorter barrels. And if not, then the balance is definitely better as the M96 seems lighter when holding them.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-02-2006, 3:38 PM
I had one registered in 2000.

Plans for belt-fed upper. Scrapped.
Plans for 7.62x39 mag well and barrel. Scrapped.

I wanted it for the belt-fed conversion. After 6 years of waiting, RA discontinuing the M96 and future plans focused on XCR. I gave up. I sold it.

A Beta C-Mag works just fine for me. Especially since a Beta C-Mag only cost one tenth of the price Robinson was going to charge for their belt fed conversion.

http://www.fototime.com/9212C814DE10FDD/standard.jpg

C123K_LoadMaster
12-02-2006, 6:52 PM
I guess you are right. The standard M96 is 7.6 pounds and the standard Ruger Mini 14 is 6.8 pounds. Maybe mine are lighter since they have the skeleton stock and shorter barrels. And if not, then the balance is definitely better as the M96 seems lighter when holding them.

I was curious so I weighed a Colt Sporter (20 inch barrel) and a Robinson M96 (20 inch barrel). Both weighed 8.6 lbs on my scale.

Wahooo03
12-06-2006, 1:58 PM
Wow, talk about good timing. I'm new to CA (I work in the wine industry so this was inevitable) and was just browsing when I saw this thread. My brother (back east), who I'll see for Christmas, wants to give me his m96 as a gift. It has hardly been shot, but I know it has an HP prefix on the SN, which means it needs to go back for service. My question is, if I remove the pistol grip, can I just bring it back with me on my flight? Do I need to go through any registration? I'll tell you what, the laws out here really do confuse the heck out of me. Lastly, are there any other issues with the HP numbered guns? Thanks!

MEC

grammaton76
12-06-2006, 2:25 PM
Removing the pistol grip is exactly what Robarms did on the M96 to render it CA-OK. You should be fine with that, as long as it doesn't have any other prohibited assault weapon features on it. I.e. folding or underfolding or collapsible stock, forward pistol grip, all that jazz.

Wahooo03
12-06-2006, 2:39 PM
Removing the pistol grip is exactly what Robarms did on the M96 to render it CA-OK. You should be fine with that, as long as it doesn't have any other prohibited assault weapon features on it. I.e. folding or underfolding or collapsible stock, forward pistol grip, all that jazz.

So I can carry it back with me on the plane? I guess I can't ship it though (basically from myself to myself) because it crosses state lines...

MEC

luvtolean
12-06-2006, 3:37 PM
You cannot tranfer weapons sibling-sibling without going through an FFL.

The easiest way to do the transfer is for your brother to give it to your Dad, Mother or Grandparent, and then they give it to you.

Strange I know, but that's how it works.

If it has to go through your brother directly, you two have to use an FFL.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-06-2006, 3:44 PM
You should be good to go with the bolt carrier tail upgrade and trigger upgrade Robinson is offering for free.

Bolt Carrier Tail Upgrade: Robinson has been offering this since 2000. That is when I had both of my M96's upgraded. This prevents the rifle from firing if the barrel is not installed properly.

Trigger Upgrade: They used to charge for this, but now offer it for free.

You can read more about the different upgrades here: http://www.biggerhammer.net/m96/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=5058

Wahooo03
12-06-2006, 7:32 PM
You cannot tranfer weapons sibling-sibling without going through an FFL.

The easiest way to do the transfer is for your brother to give it to your Dad, Mother or Grandparent, and then they give it to you.

Strange I know, but that's how it works.

If it has to go through your brother directly, you two have to use an FFL.

I can make that work. Thanks for the info fellas.