View Full Version : Can I ship a (legal) AR15 out of state (CA) for modifications?

12-02-2006, 1:20 AM
I have a legal AR15 that was registered with DOJ in 2001....I have a letter attesting to this fact.

Question: I am considering of sending my AR15 (Colt) to Compass Engineering to have said rifle mated with a new upper receiver, and have trigger work performed on the lower receiver.

Can I do this legally (ship to an out of state company and then have it shipped back to me (legally)? Do I need to have an FFL ship it for me or can I do it myself?


San Diego

12-02-2006, 1:22 AM
With assault weapons it HAS to go through an AW FFL in the state. It can't be just ANY FFL, they have to be licensed as an AW FFL. I know of two and one of those I wouldn't use. The one I would use is ColdWarShooters. See if CWS can help you, and if not I am sure they would know someone who can.

ETA: CWS is a member here, they are also a sponsor with a link at the top of the page, or you can go to www.coldwarshooters.com for more contact information.

12-02-2006, 1:40 AM
or you can always go to this guy http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=43128 he is a registered aw dealer and there are only a few of them

12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
If it is an assault weapon specifically banned by make and model, (either RR or Kasler) then no. If it is a SB-23 features firearm, then you may remove the features that would make it an AW and ship direct.