PDA

View Full Version : What you bought, where you bought it, prices

brighamr
12-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm pretty new to the modified rifle\built from scratch rifles that are seen on this site (which are awesome!). I've read most the threads on how to build and modify, but one of the problems I run into is where to buy the parts and how much they cost? I think it would be a great idea for everyone on here to post up their rifle(s), the parts they bought, how much they cost and where they bought them from (links if possible). This would be of significant use to someone new, like myself. Who knows? Maybe it could become a sticky? ;)

I personally don't have any mods yet, but I should be getting my base rifle in two weeks :D (.308 RAA-Saiga)

brighamr
12-02-2006, 9:48 AM
anyone? :confused:

cornholio1
12-02-2006, 9:50 AM
u talking about ARs?

Solidsnake87
12-02-2006, 2:20 PM
If you want an AR build off of essential arms receivers. They are the hardest price to beat at $77 each. The only real difference between all of the off list AR lowers is the logo on the receiver so you might as well buy the cheapest one. My first off list lower was a stag that cost me $235 after all fees and taxes. I just bought 3 essential arms receivers and paid a grand total of $250 for the 3 after all fees. Just shop around for other AR parts there are deals to be had everywhere. Try gunbroker or ebay, there are usually excellent deals to be had on places like that. Just stay away from cheapo companies like model 1. Aside from that, You won't need tools. ARs are essentially 10 minute erector sets.

If you want to build an AK go with the NDS-3 from Nodakspud. at $55 they are cheap. You can buy a complete parts kit with a US trigger group from copes distributing for $140. The gun should cost no more than about $350 if you already own the necessary build tools. These are fun plinkers that will provide 8 inch to 2 foot groups at 100 yards. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. They will provide some challenges if you are new to metal work.

Thats about all I can help you with. ENJOY!

brighamr
12-02-2006, 8:32 PM
Thanks for your posts. I am asking about ARs, and AKs. Basically any gun\OLL with modifications. It would be nice to have a list of all the parts and where to buy them, so keep the info coming please! (I personally want to build both :-)

Joe
12-02-2006, 8:53 PM
For AR's you will need:

Lower (get anything EXCEPT vulcan)
Lower parts kit (I would get a Rock River Arms)
Buttstock (Stag and RRA make pretty good and inexpensive buttstock kits)
Upper (Stag, RRA, CMMG and many other companies make good uppers)
Magazine (Bushmaster and C products make good 10 round mags)
magazine lock kit or grip alternative (Prince 50 mag lock kit, MonsterMan grip, U-15 Rifle stock, SRB)

You can get everything you need from www.tenpercentfirearms.com

Draven
12-05-2006, 1:28 PM
A2 Upper w/ A1 Barrel, bolt and carrier- traded FAL (G1) kit for it, call it $300
Prince 50 Maglock- $20 at Glendale Gun Show
20/10 round magazine (postban Colt) $15 "
Spike's Tactical lower- $79.95 from Metroshot (+ tax and DROS, $120)
Model 1 sales A2 buttstock- $55 from Midway (interestingly, buffer was NIW GI with a DA serial number and date of 02/68 on the packaging)
Doublestar LPK- $57 (Midway)
Model 1 barrel wrench- $8 (Midway)
Model 1 pivot pin detent installation tool- $5 (midway)

$11 shipping from midway (for everything i got from them)

$591 for my AR build.

high_revs
12-05-2006, 1:59 PM
i'm still waiting for my parts to come in, but i got

- 2 mega and 1 doublestar lowers from DDS Ranch ($524 including shipping and DROS/FFL from SJGE). I bought a few to leverage a single DROS fee
- RRA varmint complete upper with 20" barrell
- RRA stage 2 LPK
- U-15 stock
- mag-lock, 1 10 rd mag and bipod

Not sure what caliber I want to build the other two lowers, but one will probabaly be collapsible stock with mag lock for the wifey to shoot w/ me (she's petite). Another with A2 stock.

Yeah.. I was realizing the cost afterwards. But I'm picking quality parts here based on some research I did. Wes at 10% answered a lot of my questions too. He's a cool cat to deal with.

Draven
12-05-2006, 2:18 PM
I seriously considered a collapsing stock (wifey is petite as well) but wifey would only allow one, and collapsing stocks aren't legal for CMP competitions.

flooby
12-05-2006, 9:51 PM
I really like the Superior Arms lowers..

I got 2 for $88 a piece. Built to mil-spec and they have an extra setscrew that lets you adjust standard triggers to have a bit better pull.