PDA

View Full Version : Questions about rifles

Adrian
12-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Ill seperate this in 3 sections :)

1)Ok first one about a hunting rifle. I bought the Mossberg 500 for hunting now I want a good all around rifle with plenty of power for say a pig or maybe deer. I was told a 30-06 was a good powerful rifle. My dad has a (i think its a remington) 30/30 caliber rifle. I wanted something bigger that would be my own:D

2) Coworker has a few SKS and he said he will sell me one of his. Its a Russian with less that 20 rounds one it. Super clean he said polished something he said lol, told me that he would sell it to me for a few hundred bucks. Whats the going rate on them? I just seen some go for 350-400. After he noticed that I was interested in getting one he told me that he would let one go.

3) I have my stag lower and lpk on the way, im probobly going to go with a Stag 1H upper on that build. The next one I want to build, I want it to be for long range shooting. Whats the biggest/farthest reaching round I can configure the Ar to use? I seen another link that they posted all the rounds that you can configure a AR. The only sized i know on the top of my head is the standard 5.56 and the 6.8. Any suggestions welcome.

Aluisious
12-01-2006, 10:48 PM
1) The Remington 700 in .308 is a fine rifle with a rich history of military and police service, and excellent also for hunting. I'd get one for a bolt action rifle. You can also get it in .30-06 if you want, or even .300 Winchester Magnum or other calibers for extra punch, but that costs more in ammo.

2) A Russian SKS is worth a lot more than some other Soviet Block SKS. I don't know exactly, but keep that in mind. Russian = better quality, often.

3) What round you're going to be able to use depends on your barrel rifling twist. A faster twist will stabilize a heavier bullet, and heavier bullets have superior ballistic coefficients and long range accuracy. Lots of people are shooting 77 grains which I believe requires a 1 in 7 twist, and some people get silly with up to 100 grain bullets that have to be hand fed. They are breaking records at 1000 yards with such loads.

When you build it, just start shooting at 62 grains and work your way up as long as the groups stay tight.

eckerph
12-01-2006, 11:32 PM
+1 for the old '06, has plenty of power and good factory ammo is cheap and easy to find. Example, me and a buddy went hunting for the weekend and i brought my '06 and he brought his 25-06. Well in the hurry to reach the cabin before dark we left our bag of ammo and cleaning stuff in the driveway :o and got all the way up to shaver lake before we realized what we had done, luckily my friend remembered some little hardware store place that had ammo. Well they had plenty of .308 and 30-06 so i was good to go while my buddy was SOL. Those uncommon or less common calibers are hard to find when you're in a pinch, i had a similar problem happen with another friend except this time it was a .300 Savage and nobody in Fresno had a single box:eek: . As for the SKS, if hes letting go for a couple bills and it is in good shape buy it if you really like it.

triaged
12-02-2006, 12:09 AM
That russian SKS sounds like a good deal. Jump on it.

30-06 or 308 will both do you well. Don't get anything bigger then that for a first rifle. Personally went with 308 in a Savage. They are good guns and there is more at home gunsmithing that can be done on them then just about any other gun out there. For example with just a few tools you can swap barrels out to a different caliber. Savages (and the cheaper Stevens) are known for their excellent out of the box accuracy.

Adrian
12-02-2006, 8:48 AM
Thanks for the info!

1) Im going to try to search around with for some more info. On this one I want to stay withing the $500 price range. Something accurate with a punch.

2) I want the SKS mostly because I dont have one:p The only concern I have is that he has a few of them. Then I remember him telling me that one of them was sold to him by his neighbor who is a LEO, because he was scarred of some sort of ban on them. The thing is it was never registered. I hope its not that one because then I would not get it, not worth the hasstle to me.

3) I have been reading alot about the 6.5 grendel and how good it was at long distince. It seems to be a real good round. Any other suggestions?

neomentat
12-02-2006, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the info!

2) I want the SKS mostly because I dont have one:p The only concern I have is that he has a few of them. Then I remember him telling me that one of them was sold to him by his neighbor who is a LEO, because he was scarred of some sort of ban on them. The thing is it was never registered. I hope its not that one because then I would not get it, not worth the hasstle to me.

All the Russian SKS are over 50 years old and are C&R, you can buy and sell them between individuals without any paperwork or FFL transfer within the state as a FTF transfer. I was selling my Russian on gunscal.com but decided to keep it, it's such a beautiful rifle and will be worth alot in the future since they're getting very hard to find.

FatKatMatt
12-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info!

1) Im going to try to search around with for some more info. On this one I want to stay withing the $500 price range. Something accurate with a punch.

Savage 110 in .30-06

obligatory words

TonyNorCal
12-02-2006, 11:00 AM
1. Remington 700, CZ, Savage, Winchester, all fine. Savages have an adjustable trigger (accu-trigger) which people rave about. Savages also tend to run a little less expensive than the others. You're not going to want anything with a heavy barrel as it won't be much fun to carry or shoulder to fire when you're fatigued. .30-06 is a good hunting choice...plenty of range, bullet selection, and power for anything you'll encounter in California.

2. Too bad that he polished it. It's best to leave these type of things in their original condition. Going rate varies depending on where you buy. If you have a C&R and scour the net and are patient you can pick up shooter grades for 250 and nicer ones for 275-350. That's buying from out of state though...here in California things are different. Retail here is going to be over 400 most likely. Condition also affects price...if it's all stamp matching it'll command more than electropenciled. I wouldn't necessarily say the quality on Russians is superior to all others. Some feel Yugos have excellent machining. Russians do have a few things going for them though...most are chrome-lined (mid 51 on) and most are FFL exempt in California (those dated 55 and before, 56 on Jan. 1).
Regarding the comment about it not being registered. Standard configuration SKSs (fixed 10 round mag) were not required to be registered and are legal (with the exception of an unmodified Yugo 59/66 which has a grenade launcher).
If your friend's SKS is a standard, fixed 10 round Russian it's good to go. If it takes detachable magazines or has a 20 round fixed mag then don't buy it....not legal.

The Professional
12-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Tony, sent you a PM. Thanks.

Adrian
12-02-2006, 1:23 PM
The SKS he has has a top loader? He loades it in from the top from this clip of rounds. Where should I look for when it was made? I think he said it had a polished tip. Ill ask him more about it, hes a straight dude really doubt hed try to screw me with something crappy.

Adrian
12-02-2006, 1:28 PM
obligatory words
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/Adrian94928/110gxp3.jpg

This thing? I like it.

HKROB
12-02-2006, 3:11 PM
I have a yugo sks its by far the most fun to shoot.

RANGER295
12-02-2006, 3:41 PM
If you are buying a new rifle I would go with the Savage in .308. I just ordered one myself. I think they are good quality yet a cheaper than many others. I got one with a heavy barrel but you wouldn’t want that for hunting. For a deer rifle I am partial to a pre-64 Winchester Model 70. Mine was made right after WWII and is a .30-06. I only buy stuff in standard calibers that are very easy to find and usually less expensive.

SKS’s are great fun. That isn’t that bad a price depending on the condition. Though if you just want it to blow rounds through, you can probably find a better deal online somewhere.

Different caliber OLL… I will keep my mouth shut on this one as there are others here that are far more qualified than I am.

icormba
12-02-2006, 4:12 PM
Ill seperate this in 3 sections :)
2) Coworker has a few SKS and he said he will sell me one of his. Its a Russian with less that 20 rounds one it. Super clean he said polished something he said lol, told me that he would sell it to me for a few hundred bucks. Whats the going rate on them? I just seen some go for 350-400. After he noticed that I was interested in getting one he told me that he would let one go.

If this helps you...
I'm not sure what you mean by "Super clean he said polished something he said lol,"
But Russian SKS's have 2 types of finish from the Factories:
1) Blued (Original)
2) don't know what it's called, but it's almost like a black paint type finish. (Referb)

The Blued finish is a deep blue and can almost look "polished". If this is what you mean... snatch it up fast!

The other finish isn't too bad either, but it sure isn't a "polished" look. If he's selling it for ~$200 for this type, that's a good deal!

Here is a pic of the two types... (sorry the pic isn't of the greatest quality).
http://m1garand.net/M1Pics/Chris/SKS/2SKS.jpg
The top one is a 1954 Blued original SKS hard too see the blueing, sorry.
The bottom one is a 1950 Factory Referb SKS

Aluisious
12-02-2006, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the info!

3) I have been reading alot about the 6.5 grendel and how good it was at long distince. It seems to be a real good round. Any other suggestions?
1) Remington 700 with optics will run you more than that.

2) SKS with a fixed mag is not any problem.

3) Yeah 6.5 Grendel is great if you want to bankrupt yourself on ammo. Stick with the 308 or 3006 advice.

Adrian
12-02-2006, 6:28 PM
Cool thanks for all the info! Ill keep you guys posted on the sks if you care:p ***** I didnt know the grendel is about a buck a pop! That might be a little to pricey to shoot after all! Who knows im still going to look into it. So you guys are saying the Savage 30-06 is too heavy for hunting? I liked it and the price sounds good too.

triaged
12-02-2006, 6:53 PM
So you guys are saying the Savage 30-06 is too heavy for hunting? I liked it and the price sounds good too.No...just that you want a sporter model and not a heavy barrel. Just take a look on their web site www.savagearms.com. The hunter models (11/111, 14/114, 16/116) are around 6.5-7lbs. and the heavy barrel models (10/110, 12/112) are more like like 9lbs.+

Big5 carries the 111 in 30-06 in the package series that goes for $399 on sale (almost every other week like most Big5 stuff). I think they now have the new center feed detachable mag guns (mag release on bottom) but some might have the older ones still in stock (mag release on side). The newer style mags feed much better then the old ones...but there aren't any aftermarket stocks out there for them yet. The scope is a cheap $25 job. Head on over to http://www.savageshooters.net to get all the info you need and more.

Adrian
12-03-2006, 8:15 PM
Well I went today to get the Savage Arms model 111 with the scope. The guy at the counter told me to buy the Stevens that it was the same thing and spend the other money on a better scope. So yea I bought the Stevens now I need to look into getting a scope for it.

SemiAutoSam
12-03-2006, 8:20 PM
OK you saved a buck or two. What did you give up by doing this ?
Arent Savage and Stevens owned by the same company ?

Also if anyone knows this I would be grateful: Does Savage and or Stevens still make a single shot over and under like a .223 and 12 gauge or maybe it was a 20 gauge?

this is going back alot of years but Im looking for one of these again.

Thanks

Well I went today to get the Savage Arms model 111 with the scope. The guy at the counter told me to buy the Stevens that it was the same thing and spend the other money on a better scope. So yea I bought the Stevens now I need to look into getting a scope for it.

Adrian
12-03-2006, 8:42 PM
1) OK you saved a buck or two. What did you give up by doing this ?
3)Arent Savage and Stevens owned by the same company ?

1) I donno, the name?
2) yes

I held them both identical to me. I saved a few bucks, enough to hopefully get that SKS on friday:D

FatKatMatt
12-03-2006, 9:26 PM
1) I donno, the name?
2) yes

I held them both identical to me. I saved a few bucks, enough to hopefully get that SKS on friday:D

The Stevens is basically the same as a Savage 110 but slightly different; blind box magazine, lower quality finish, no accutrigger, only 1 type of stock. There's nothing wrong with getting that but I would've bought the Savage; however you can get an Accutrigger to replace the trigger in the Stevems.

I bought the Savage 110 in 7mm; I'm picking it up tommorrow. Very nice gun.

triaged
12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Take a look on www.savageshooters.net and I bet you could get a good deal on a take off accu-trigger.

How much are you going to spend on a scope?

I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 mounted on my 11FCNS with Weaver #46M bases and med. Sure Grip rings. It worked out to be a light, low, and inexpensive package. I lapped in the rings till there was full contact on the aluminum lower half of the rings and high points were taken off the thin steel top strap. I didn't want to add the extra weight of steel bases and rings.

Here are some pics:
http://www.scbd.org/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album124/11fcns_08.sized.jpg

http://www.scbd.org/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album124/11fcns_07.sized.jpg

Weaver Sure Grip rings are short for med's and don't come in low...I could have gone a bit lower and not needed the cheek pad/stock pack but I think it looks cool anyways :cool:

jmlivingston
12-04-2006, 5:03 AM
The guys at savageshooters.net will suggest to you not to bother with trying to put an accutrigger on the Stevens, too much work to get it to fit. Instead go straight to the after market options: Rifle Basix, Timney, or SharpShooter Supply. The first two are only $80 at Midway, not sure what the SharpShooter cost is.

But go spend a little time at savageshooters.net, lot's of experts over there on this subject.

John

Adrian
12-04-2006, 7:25 AM
Take a look on www.savageshooters.net and I bet you could get a good deal on a take off accu-trigger.

How much are you going to spend on a scope?

I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 mounted on my 11FCNS with Weaver #46M bases and med. Sure Grip rings. It worked out to be a light, low, and inexpensive package. I lapped in the rings till there was full contact on the aluminum lower half of the rings and high points were taken off the thin steel top strap. I didn't want to add the extra weight of steel bases and rings.

Here are some pics:
http://www.scbd.org/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album124/11fcns_08.sized.jpg

Weaver Sure Grip rings are short for med's and don't come in low...I could have gone a bit lower and not needed the cheek pad/stock pack but I think it looks cool anyways :cool:
Damn I didnt realize the stevens didnt have the accu trigger. Man I should of paid more attention:mad: . O well cant do a exchange now. I dont know how much I want to spend on the scope. Guy at the counter said that the savage scope wasnt all that great and that I should get a better one? I dont even know what they run? Im not too worried about it right now. I cant get my hunting license til next month anyways. Right now im just going to get started on my AR build it finally arrived today, now I get to get it DROS'ed. Then friday im going to look at that SKS ive been talking about, then I might buy that. Damn this hobby is rather exhausting :p

triaged
12-04-2006, 9:29 AM
I have heard many people say you should spend as much money on the glass as you do the rifle. I didn't...My setup was around $200 with a good scope and cheap base/rings. The Burris scope is made in USA and has a lifetime warranty. If you wait for the right time you can get one with a free set of binoc's or spotting scope or just cheaper.