PDA

View Full Version : Please precisely define "dry-fire"

Reynold
05-13-2011, 1:29 AM
After searching, I learned that it is not recommended to dry-fire rimfires such as the Sig Mosquito.

If you use snap caps though, then is it no longer considered dry-firing, and thus safe? I was confused because I thought dry-firing just meant pulling the trigger without live ammo in the gun.

Is it or is it not OK to pull the trigger on a Sig Mosquito with a snap cap?

dominic
05-13-2011, 2:03 AM
After searching, I learned that it is not recommended to dry-fire rimfires such as the Sig Mosquito.

If you use snap caps though, then is it no longer considered dry-firing, and thus safe? I was confused because I thought dry-firing just meant pulling the trigger without live ammo in the gun.

Is it or is it not OK to pull the trigger on a Sig Mosquito with a snap cap?

You already precisely defined what dry firing is (in bold). Damage occurs when there is nothing for the firing pin to hit. Snap caps give the firing pin something to hit.

llamatrnr
05-13-2011, 2:25 AM
Yep, you're good to go with SnapCaps, as Dominic stated

E Pluribus Unum
05-13-2011, 2:27 AM
Remember that snap caps are only required on rim fire weapons.

Center fire weapons do not require snap caps...

Flyingpootang
05-13-2011, 4:40 AM
Some FP are pinned and do not allow for the FP to hit the barrel (newer 10/22). The best way to /check is to manually push the FP forward and see if it extends past the bolt face.

Lurch762
05-13-2011, 5:51 AM
Remember that snap caps are only required on rim fire weapons.

Center fire weapons do not require snap caps...

Not true. A CZ52 will work harden its firing pin and eventually break it if you dry fire without a snap cap. Not a good idea to dry fire old revolvers with fixed firing pins too unless using a snap cap.

As for .22lr, seems nobody makes a reusable snap cap. I usually save some empty shell casings from the range to use so I don't chew up my .22 dummy cartridges. I've heard of others using a small drywall anchor as a snap cap too.

Izzy43
05-13-2011, 6:57 AM
No. 4 drywall anchors (yellow in color) at Home Depot, really cheap, will usually feed from most magazine and ejectors work on them as well. I use them all the time in all my .22 rifles and pistols. Did I say CHEAP.

MaHoTex
05-13-2011, 7:49 AM
No. 4 drywall anchors (yellow in color) at Home Depot, really cheap, will usually feed from most magazine and ejectors work on them as well. I use them all the time in all my .22 rifles and pistols. Did I say CHEAP.

No Kidding? Huh... I will have to give that a try!

Reynold
05-13-2011, 9:27 AM
You already precisely defined what dry firing is (in bold). Damage occurs when there is nothing for the firing pin to hit. Snap caps give the firing pin something to hit.

Suppose I were to ignore all the good advice and dry-fire my Sig Mosquito anyway and destroy the firing pin. How much would it cost to replace it?

As for .22lr, seems nobody makes a reusable snap cap.

Wow.. really? I am surprised.

Kryptyde
05-13-2011, 9:35 AM
The general danger with firing a rimfire with nothing in the chamber is that on some designs this will allow the firing pin to strike the breech when the rim of a cartridge is not present to absorb the blow. The breech damage issue is not generally a concern with centerfires as the firing pin is in the middle of the chamber rather than at the edge.

Enough blows to the breach can cause it to become malformed and this can in turn cause issues with the chamber and ultimately accuracy and reliability.

If the design of your rimfire allows this to occur then it is wise to use a snap cap or some other item to protect the breech on the last round.

I havent researched the Sig Mosquito but I know that my rimfires (10/22 and CZ 452) are safe so I dont worry about it.

E Pluribus Unum
05-13-2011, 9:49 AM
Not true. A CZ52 will work harden its firing pin and eventually break it if you dry fire without a snap cap. Not a good idea to dry fire old revolvers with fixed firing pins too unless using a snap cap

I've never seen, nor have I ever heard of a problem dry firing center-fire weapons. You may be correct about "old revolvers" and "CZ52"s because I am not familiar with these models. Suffice it to say that 99.99% of the rest of the center fire guns are perfectly fine to dry-fire.

M4rk
05-13-2011, 2:44 PM
so, is it bad for .22 to dry fire?

AAShooter
05-13-2011, 2:47 PM
Check with the manufacturer but generally dry firing a rimfire gun is not recommended.

E Pluribus Unum
05-13-2011, 2:54 PM
so, is it bad for .22 to dry fire?

Generally speaking... yes.

Cokebottle
05-13-2011, 6:04 PM
Actually, the problem is not when the pin has nothing to hit, the problem is when the pin hits the wrong thing.

Remember... Centerfire, the pin strikes the primer in the center of the chamber.
No primer, "click"

Rimfire, the pin strikes the edge of the cartridge.
Without a cartridge (or snap cap), the pin will hit the edge of the chamber. Enough strikes and it will peen the edge of the chamber and cause feed problems.

dangerranger
05-13-2011, 8:19 PM
I dont dry fire my center fire guns either. it promotes firing pin breakage. any kind of snap cap will allow firing without any strain on the pin. I dry fire [ with a snap cap ]hundreds of time a week when working up to a match. DR

Izzy43
05-14-2011, 10:31 AM
No Kidding? Huh... I will have to give that a try!

Yep! No kidding.

Cokebottle
05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I dont dry fire my center fire guns either. it promotes firing pin breakage. any kind of snap cap will allow firing without any strain on the pin. I dry fire [ with a snap cap ]hundreds of time a week when working up to a match. DR
Glock, XD, and most other striker-fired guns MUST be dry fired on an empty chamber to field strip.

How is the firing pin going to break when it's not hitting anything? The XD even has a rebound spring that forces the pin to retract after firing... that spring is going to coil-bind before the pin hits the back of the breech.

I've DF'd my XD hundreds of times, if not more. I removed the pin for the first time last week and there was no evidence that it was hitting anything that it shouldn't be hitting.

M4rk
05-14-2011, 12:32 PM
ive been dry firing, so i guess we'll see.

OHW
05-14-2011, 1:54 PM
The blue 22 dummy rounds are not snap caps. Chips of the aluminum will get into your gun. This is bad.
Ruger uses captured firing pins. The pin has a stop block to keep it from hitting the rim. Those are the only rimfires that I dry fire. Unless the manufacturer has it in writing that their design may be dry fired,

I own centerfires that cannot be dryfired without a snap cap. A floating firing pin will damage it's collar that stops the pins forward momentum. Eventually the collar gets beaten back enough that pierced primers may occur. Amongst other problems in some designs.
As a rule dryfiring is kept to a minimum around my weapons , just to keep the wear and tear in check. They get plenty of wet firing to be broken in.

covingtonhouse
05-14-2011, 7:17 PM
Check with Champion shooters supply. They sell Pachmayer snap caps for around $8 for 24. They claim reusability. Cheaper than a firing pin fix........

big50_1
05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
There are red plastic .22 dry fire cartridges that are designed for that purpose. Also the saving-some-spent-.22-hulls-from-the-range-for-dry-firing also works. Had a S&W 22A that the FP gouged a slot in the barrel just from a few dry fires. Had to "iron" out the slot and ridges next to it. Not a perfect repair.

tonelar
05-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Your firing pin can lose its sharpness from repeatedly striking the edge of your chamber.

MrPlink
05-16-2011, 2:39 AM
Ive dry fired the livin crap out of my M&P 15-22. No signs of marks on the chamber.

Joewy
05-16-2011, 4:42 AM
I have a Sig Mosquito and after reading this I checked it out. My Wife dry fires it all the time. Couldnt find any marks at all around the chamer or on the FP. The only problem Ive ever had with it is that you got to remember to oil it or it wont feed well.

E Pluribus Unum
05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Ive dry fired the livin crap out of my M&P 15-22. No signs of marks on the chamber.

Neil McCauley's slept with many unclean women and he doesn't have anything.... yet....

dangerranger
05-16-2011, 6:12 PM
Glock, XD, and most other striker-fired guns MUST be dry fired on an empty chamber to field strip.

How is the firing pin going to break when it's not hitting anything? The XD even has a rebound spring that forces the pin to retract after firing... that spring is going to coil-bind before the pin hits the back of the breech.

I've DF'd my XD hundreds of times, if not more. I removed the pin for the first time last week and there was no evidence that it was hitting anything that it shouldn't be hitting.

Its that suden stop where the FPs shoulder hits the bolt. the firing pins break at the shoulder. also not good for the FP spring. where the FP stops its compleately collapsed. I probably pull the trigger 200 times a day, without a snap cap firing pins dont last. DR