PDA

View Full Version : Model 1 Sales

Prc329
12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.model1sales.com/

What is there reputation. A buddy of mine is starting a build and looked at the uppers they sell. Prices seem to good to be true. What's there rep? Build quality?

fal_762x51
12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I like the company, I got my heavy 16" barrel and flat top from them. Good price and it shoot excellent.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/calegal/v4.jpg

cornholio1
12-01-2006, 1:00 PM
I like em too. They are okay and my AR is dead nuts accurate.

Joe
12-01-2006, 1:06 PM
Do NOT use their LPK. I am happy with my 20" stainless varmint upper.

That being said, I would never buy from them again. You can buy a good quality Stag or RRA upper for just a very small amount more. It is not worth it to buy M1S parts in my opinion.

bwiese
12-01-2006, 1:13 PM
Run, don't walk: "bottom feeder".

In the past, I've worked on quite a few Model1s and Olys. They buy mixes of nontested parts with wide variation.

The folks that have 100% working guns are lucky. Even a stopped clock is accurate 2X per day.

Spring tensions vary widely. Order 20 springs from Model 1 and you'll likely have 20 different tensions. Barrels are usu not chrome lined and certainly not MPI'd. Quite a few of the unlined bbls have had rough chambers/too tight. Nothing's near milspec unless luck intervenes.

You wouldn't/shouldn't bet your life on a Model1 gun.

Why save $25- $55 when you can get better elsewhere? A used gun from 'name' parts is likely better than most Model1 gun.

Some of the bull bbl varmint uppers may be accurate, but again I think that's luck of the draw.

I'm not picking on Model1 alone, either: I'd put Olympic Arms, M&A Parts, Sherluck Marketing and JT in that category as well.

Depending on what you're looking for think about CMMG, BravoCoUSA, Bushmaster, Armalite, Stag, Global Tactical/Denny's Guns, etc. Some of these are bigger guys, some smaller "boutique" vendors. These are the guns I'd bet my life on.

Oftentimes guys on AR15.COM Equipment Exchange sell name uppers, etc. below MSRP that you'd ordinarily be charged from, say, Bushmaster.

The few bucks you might save going to Model1 offer a good chance of being spent, instead, on tools, etc. to fix the rifle and more frequent trips to the range just to debug the gun.

JPglee1
12-01-2006, 1:19 PM
Run, don't walk: "bottom feeder".

In the past, I've worked on quite a few Model1s and Olys. They buy mixes of nontested parts with wide variation.

+10000

go check out CMMG.

J

Prc329
12-01-2006, 2:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let him know. my buddy handles mine and wanted one. He ran across there add in shotgun news. I told him it looked a little odd. There prices were so much less then what I have seen elsewhere.

NSR500
12-01-2006, 2:39 PM
If you are picky about your stuff; Run, Don't Walk.

Joe
12-01-2006, 2:54 PM
You can get a RRA or Stag upper for nearly the same price, just a tad bit more.

cornholio1
12-01-2006, 3:23 PM
Before you make a final decision, go to ARF forums. There is a lot more feedback there than there is here for AR's. The majority will say they are fine.

bwiese
12-01-2006, 3:33 PM
Before you make a final decision, go to ARF forums. There is a lot more feedback there than there is here for AR's. The majority will say they are fine.

The majority vote for Democrats too.

That just means there's more befuddled folk there, doesn't mean they know anything more than folks here - just because it says AR15.COM does not mean it validates their knowledge. Half these folks prob wanna praise their jam-o-matics in the hope of later selling their 'problem child'.

The folks who have spoken up here against Model1 have some very good expertise in ARs. There are quite a few sharp AR folks here on Calguns.

Hell, even I have built a half dozen personal ARs, often under continuous reconfiguration/modification, have helped build or modify/improve another dozen for other folks over the years, and in the last 8+ years have debugged a LOT of folks' ARs at various ranges when there's a problem.

Aside from crappy magazines and poor lubrication, the rifles I've seen with the most problems that result in ammo sensitivity or require parts replacement to resolve are Oly Arms, Model 1s and ASAs, with various crap parts guns in the mix.

'Nuff said.

cornholio1
12-01-2006, 3:45 PM
The majority vote for Democrats too.

That just means there's more befuddled folk there, doesn't mean they know anything more than folks here - just because it says AR15.COM does not mean it validates their knowledge. Half these folks prob wanna praise their jam-o-matics in the hope of later selling their 'problem child'.

The folks who have spoken up here against Model1 have some very good expertise in ARs. There are quite a few sharp AR folks here on Calguns.

Hell, even I have built a half dozen personal ARs, often under continuous reconfiguration/modification, have helped build or modify/improve another dozen for other folks over the years, and in the last 8+ years have debugged a LOT of folks' ARs at various ranges when there's a problem.

Aside from crappy magazines and poor lubrication, the rifles I've seen with the most problems that result in ammo sensitivity or require parts replacement to resolve are Oly Arms, Model 1s and ASAs, with various crap parts guns in the mix.

'Nuff said.

Well theres a lot more opions out there that are just from Cali. My upper will eat any ammo, and spits it out like cake. I have full faith in the rifle and would consider it for SHTF. I have built close to the same amount of ARs as you have. One guy on ARF built 11 Model 1 rifles and none had failed. My buddy has a Model 1 upper and only his lower failed due to the installer crappy installation. What I am saying, is there always another side to the story and I encourage the OP to look at all the opinions (a lot can come from ARF).

762cavalier
12-01-2006, 3:47 PM

Actually I have been reading ARF.com and most people there seem to agree that Model 1 sales are bottom feeders. All the complaints about Model 1 are usually replied with "thats what you get":cool:

hoffmang
12-01-2006, 3:58 PM
Certainly do not get the LPKs. There is a thread a couple of days old of the pain I went through with a bad part from the parts kit.

My upper is enh. I haven't gotten it fully sighted in so I don't want to complain (yet.)

I'm not buying anything more from them though.

-Gene

C.G.
12-01-2006, 4:21 PM

Like this?:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=302552

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=302225

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=302264

Seems like fifty/fifty to me and a lot worse ratio for their LPKs (as Gene Hoffmang found out).

guns_and_labs
12-01-2006, 5:12 PM
It looks like M&A has about the same prices, but with "name brand" components. Anyone had experience with them?

http://www.mapartsinc.com/

Fjold
12-01-2006, 5:49 PM
I bought a kit from M&A for a bull barreled varminter, all quality parts and no problems with assembly for a guy who had never seen an AR taken apart before.

Four of my coworkers bought kits from M&A also on my recommendation and I assembled all of them with no issues.

WokMaster1
12-01-2006, 6:25 PM
I think that there is enough info on this board & arf.com about Model 1 Sales. One can make your own judgement. Just do your research.

It seems that there is a thread every week or so about the same thing. Not to put anyone down but PLEASE do a search. There is enough info here to fill a corner at the Smithsonian.:)

radioactivelego
12-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Uppers are a-okay and they are chrome lined if you make sure it says CHROME LINED in the upper title. Their LPK's are the equivilent of gouging your eyes out after attempting to assemble your lower for 2 hours and coming to a complete failure. I threw the LPK away and bought a DPMS. I've thrown quite a few thousand rounds through it and have yet to get any hiccups from it.

bwiese
12-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Uppers are a-okay and they are chrome lined if you make sure it says CHROME LINED in the upper title.

Yup, but even these and their bolts are still not MPI tested.

Model1 bolts have a very very poor reputation (one or two folks here, IIRC, have had failures in the last year or two), and their carrier keys have often not been staked properly (thus loosening).

That $50+ savings can buy you $200 of trouble.

cornholio1
12-02-2006, 3:20 AM
Like this?:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=302552

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=302225

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=302264

Seems like fifty/fifty to me and a lot worse ratio for their LPKs (as Gene Hoffmang found out).

Nope. All that stuff is recent. Get a paid membership and search the archives. This board is pretty biased about buying from them as well as a few other things.