PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting the Heritage Rough Rider SAA .22lr/.22mag, thoughts??

TYCONTEST
05-12-2011, 9:16 AM
I am thinking about getting the Heritage Rough Rider SAA .22. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it a decent revolver or junk?

Rock6.3
05-12-2011, 9:33 AM
I have one. Cyl change is easy, trigger is ok, sights are ok, finish is reasonably good. Fun to shoot and slow to consume ammo due to the load/unload system.

jimbos44
05-12-2011, 6:19 PM
I just got back from trying to sight mine in. Was shooting way low. Filed at least 1/3 of the front sight off, still shoots a little low. It also shot way left, so I bent front sight left. Next time will shoot shorter distance for a tighter group and move out from there. Still like the gun , lots of fun :)

sequoia_nomad
05-12-2011, 6:58 PM
Save up and buy a Ruger, if you care a bit about fit and finish. Great if you want a beater I suppose, as they look abused straight from the factory.

davek8s
05-12-2011, 8:42 PM
I have a rough rider. It's a fun gun to shoot and works great. Mine is accurate and never fails. It's NO ruger single6, but you could buy 2 RR for the same price. If you like it, then get it. You'll have fun with it.

CSACANNONEER
05-12-2011, 8:53 PM
Having both, I can say that they are both reliable guns. The Single Six is a far nicer gun when it comes to fit and finish and will always be worth more. The final decision is up to you.

Cokebottle
05-12-2011, 9:08 PM
Wife wanted something cheap to throw cheap lead downrange.
She already has a 92FS, so a HiPoint was out of the question.
I made the mistake of buying 5000 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt 22 that won't feed in my CMMG AR upper.

That pretty much narrowed my choice to a revolver. Didn't want to spend the price of a Glock on a "cheap gun to throw cheap ammo".

DROS'd a Heritage 9-shot this afternoon.

BayAreaShooter
05-12-2011, 9:28 PM
I have owned one for a few years now and have never had any problem with it. The finish isn't great but I bought it to be a gun I can abuse and not really care to much. All I had to do was bend the front sight slightly and it shoots dead on now. Its a Fun and Great shooter and would recommend it if you are looking for a inexpensive single action. Plus think how great it would look with some new grips. Their are more than this but these are a few of my favorites.

http://www.heritagemfg.com/images/site_images/140708_lg.jpg
http://www.heritagemfg.com/images/site_images/68634_lg.jpg
http://www.heritagemfg.com/images/site_images/1456-436_lg.jpg
http://www.heritagemfg.com/images/site_images/1654_lg.jpg

BayAreaShooter
05-12-2011, 9:29 PM
http://www.firearmsforyou.com/images/product/image.php?id=15559

TKM
05-12-2011, 9:31 PM
All guns will eventually cost less than the ammo you put through them.

The Rough Rider makes this possible before the sun goes down.

TYCONTEST
05-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I wll head to Turner's tomorrow and check it out. It will go good with my Henry 22 lever gun. I think I will use the money I will save, by not getting a Ruger Single Six, towards a 1911 or Vaquero 45lc for Christmas.

stitchnicklas
05-13-2011, 9:27 AM
i love my heritage rr

Cokebottle
05-13-2011, 5:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I wll head to Turner's tomorrow and check it out. It will go good with my Henry 22 lever gun. I think I will use the money I will save, by not getting a Ruger Single Six, towards a 1911 or Vaquero 45lc for Christmas.
GET DOWN THERE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

3-day sale is over at close of business today.
$170 for the basic 4 and 6" model 6-shooters, $220 for the 6 shooter with adjustable sights, and $270 for the satin frame and the 9-shot combo!

TYCONTEST
05-13-2011, 5:24 PM
I know, I went in today and saw the Puma as well. Started a new thread puma vs rr. I might have to wait for the Father's Day specials or go in later tonight and do a lay a way to lock in the price so I can change my mind later if needed.

dangerranger
05-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Just out of curiosity I checked the list for the 9 shot and dont see them listed? did I just miss it, or is it exempted? DR

Cokebottle
05-15-2011, 1:29 PM
Just out of curiosity I checked the list for the 9 shot and dont see them listed? did I just miss it, or is it exempted? DR
Single action revolver with a 5+ round capacity and barrel over 3", OAL over either 6" or 7" = roster-exempt.

That is the "cowboy gun" exemption that got us the roster in the first place. SASS was fighting the roster because they knew that many of their favorite guns would not pass the drop test. They caved and agreed to support the roster if their guns were exempt.
Had it not been for SASS giving up the fight, we may not have a roster today.

winetoad
05-17-2011, 7:22 PM
I had the same problem. And decided to spend the money on a Ruger Single Six. Not at all sorry with buying the Ruger.

RedFord150
07-18-2011, 8:57 AM
All guns will eventually cost less than the ammo you put through them.

The Rough Rider makes this possible before the sun goes down.

The OP asked about actual experience, not gun price vs. ammo cost. What is your actual experience with the RR?

Cokebottle
07-18-2011, 7:51 PM
The OP asked about actual experience, not gun price vs. ammo cost. What is your actual experience with the RR?
And you had to necropost this? Thread's had a fork in it for 2 months.

RedFord150
07-18-2011, 9:05 PM
And you had to necropost this? Thread's had a fork in it for 2 months.

Since you took the time to post, why didn't you tell us about the Heritage you bought 2 months ago?

That would have actually contributed something to the thread.

Cokebottle
07-18-2011, 9:21 PM
It's okay. As expected, it's nothing to write home about. It's not a Ruger, and I didn't expect it to be.
Had one case where the cylinder stuck attempting to load, but it didn't repeat.

It does what it's supposed to do and suits the purpose for which it was bought.

Would I buy another one? Probably not.
Would I buy a Ruger? Probably not... unless my wife wants to upgrade.

I didn't comment earlier because the thread was long gone by the time I got it out of DROS and we got it to the range.
I don't generally see the point in resurrecting a thread that the OP seems to have lost interest in.

RedFord150
07-19-2011, 8:39 AM
It's okay. As expected, it's nothing to write home about. It's not a Ruger, and I didn't expect it to be.
...I don't generally see the point in resurrecting a thread that the OP seems to have lost interest in.

Thank you for the update.
For the most part, I agree wth you. In this case, there have been 3 different threads on the Heritage RR in the last week or so. One of them was started by me. Lots of CGers other than the OP on this thread seem too be interested.
I DROS'd a Heritage RR last week. I pick it up on Sunday. I have been searching the old threads looking for experiences and accessories. I will probably buy one of the grips shown in post #8.
I own some really nice guns; Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger Speed Six, Ruger GP100, Beretta 686E, etc.
I also own a few that seem to be 'scorned' by the people who do NOT own them; Bersa Thunder, Colt Double Eagle, Heritage RR (within a week), and possibly a Maverick 88.
I find it a waste of time to read a thread on one of the 'scorned' guns and see replies from people who have never owned or shot the firearm in question. Posters who simply make general statements (usually negative) or repeat some hearsay they read on a forum somewhere.
Anybody can find a good gun with $500 or more to spend. A few of us are trying to find something worth buying for $200 or $300. This is why a lot of these threads get started. Real experience is the key, not the BS circulated by many.