PDA

View Full Version : Shooting trap with an HD gun in NorCal?

krby
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I've been looking at a few of the local outdoor ranges (Livermore, Los Altos, Sunnyvale, and Coyote) and all but Livermore have restrictions on shorter barrels. I figured shooting trap with an 18.5" barrel would be much tougher but doable and the practice would do me good. Are these rules enforced? What's the idea behind them?

JOEKILLA
12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I shot at United Sportsmen with my 18" Rem870 Security with no issues.

krby
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok, so that's United Sportsman and Livermore. Can anyone offer advice for Los Altos or Sunnyvale?

doitdave
12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Ok, so that's United Sportsman and Livermore. Can anyone offer advice for Los Altos or Sunnyvale?

Sunyvale From there website:

Trap Range Conditions:
Minimum barrel length of 26 inches
No shot larger than 7 1/2
Maximum allowed load is 1 1/8 oz. shot, 3 dram equivalent velocity of 1250 FPS
Magnum shells are not allowed due to Santa Clara County sounds restrictions

As for Los Altos, i couldn't find a min length...

Coyote Valley has it listed as a minimum of 22''

xenophobe
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Los Altos mechanical trap (the trap range at the end of the road) is fine as long as you have a stock. No barrel requirements. I used to take my SPAS-12 out there.

krby
12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks dotidave I saw the info on Sunnyvale's website. I was kind of hoping someone would say "oh you can shoot with a shorter barrel at Sunnyvale if you prove to them you're not an idiot" or something.

mike100
12-01-2006, 2:18 PM
the handicap loads are pretty loud coming from 18" barrels..I have an express HD with a choke and I did once get 17 out of 25, but in general it is extremely difficult to pick up hard right and left birds.

looks like the reason is for noise abatement. luckily the ranges in San diego Co aren't quite to that point. I got to shoot trap with a saiga once (pre ban loaner). I could see some clubs not liking the tactical image since the shotgunners are the most snobbish of all the shooters at any club.

Archenemy550
12-01-2006, 5:42 PM
what about socal?

bwiese
12-01-2006, 5:46 PM
I've shot trap w/my Benelli NOVA 18" 'Special Purpose' pump shotgun at Los Altos Rod & Gun.

Cool!

blkA4alb
12-01-2006, 5:47 PM
I have shot Trap with my 18.5" barrel on my 500 at Richmond Rod and Gun Club.

krby
12-04-2006, 9:18 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I'm going to buy a longer barrel for my HD gun. From what I can tell, it'll take a while to get here, so I'll go to the non-restrictive ranges in the meantime, plus there's always some paper that needs holes in it.

megavolt121
12-04-2006, 2:28 PM
I've shot an 18" @ Metcalf

krby
01-02-2007, 6:04 AM
the handicap loads are pretty loud coming from 18" barrels..I have an express HD with a choke and I did once get 17 out of 25, but in general it is extremely difficult to pick up hard right and left birds.

I shot 4 rounds of trap last Saturday at Livermore-Pleasanton, my first time shooting at a moving target. It was great! I broke around 10-14 with a 18.5" barrel, improved cylinder choke. I missed nearly everything from position 1 every time. I really need some practice.

I called ahead of time and the RO said it was fine as long as it was legal. When I showed up, he said: "Did you call earlier? I was waiting for that gun to show up! You did really well!" Overall, thumbs up to Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club, everyone was really helpful and friendly.

I can't wait for the 26" barrel to come in.

ryang
01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Chabot also has a "anything goes" policy with regards to shotgun barrel length on their trap.

anotherone
01-02-2007, 1:07 PM
I've never been to a range where there was any particular length requirements for shotguns. However, it is an undeniable fact that 26" and longer barrels are superior for shooting trap and most game. You can probably get away with using an 18.5" barrel to shoot trap and maybe Turkeys. I would be extremely impressed to see someone kill a goose with anything less than a 28" barrel though.

Nylo
01-03-2007, 4:54 PM
I don't know about other ranges but out at Sunnyvale it has to do with noise abatement. There is even a guy that comes out now and then to take reading to make sure we are in the groove. I have seen one individual get turned away because of barrel length so they will ask you if they think your under the mark.

All of this is to keep the locals happy so I feel its a good thing.

I've been looking at a few of the local outdoor ranges (Livermore, Los Altos, Sunnyvale, and Coyote) and all but Livermore have restrictions on shorter barrels. I figured shooting trap with an 18.5" barrel would be much tougher but doable and the practice would do me good. Are these rules enforced? What's the idea behind them?