PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a scope

xbatis
05-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Any recommendations in the $150-100 range? I don't know much about about scopes. I need one to put on my new ruger 10/22 target.

I was looking at these two models:

Nikon ProStaff Riflescope

Power 3-9
Objective Diameter 40
Length 12.3
Weight 13.1
Eye Relief 3.6
Color Matte
Reticle Nikoplex
FOV @ 100 yards 33.8-11.3

$99.99

or

Nikon Omega Muzzleloader Scope

Power 1.65-5
Objective Diameter 36
Length 11.1
Weight 13.5
Eye Relief 5
Color Matte
Reticle BDC- 250
FOV @ 100 yards 45.3-15.1
$99.99

If there is a better scope and price please let me know..I would mainly be using this rifle for shooting squirrels n target shooting.

Any input would be appreciated.

Izzy43
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Take a look at the APV from Mueller Optics, around $150 from joeboboutfitters.com. Fully muticoated optics (Japanese glass) assembled in China. I own one and have no problem recommending it. Its a nice scope.

The Weaver 40/44 models are around the same price at similiar magnification. They are made in the Philipines and the quality is better than any Chinese scope that you may find. I have a Weaver 40/44 6.5-20x44mm and its very nice glass with excellent elev and wind turrets with very positive, audible clicks and focus goes down to 25 yds. Cost $185 delivered from Natchezss.com.

Don't go too cheap on a scope as you will probably not be satisfied in the long run. Been there, done that.

jbush
05-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I just put a Mueller APV on a 10/22. Very clear glass for a $130 scope with free shipping from gunkings.com or joeboboutfitters.com. Just might want to check it out. A lot of people on RFC putting these on 22s.

noob_tube
05-12-2011, 12:32 AM
I vote for the Nikon. Its the one I put on mine and I love it.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=431944

Kryptyde
05-12-2011, 9:56 AM
+1 on the Mueller APV. Love mine. Dont think you will find better for this price point.

straykiller
05-12-2011, 9:59 AM
im buying this one for my squirrel killer, glass is supposed to be great for the price

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=915&categoryId=156

xbatis
05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
what companies offer lifetime warranty on their scopes?

I'm looking for something good that I wouldn't want to replace but at the same time

I'm not looking to spend an arm and leg.

nbkvig2
05-12-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm looking for something good that I wouldn't want to replace but at the same time

Nikon does...the Nikon Prostaff you listed will fit perfectly into your budget...3x9-40 will be enough for all your applications. Only difference is choosing between Nikoplex or BDC reticle (price difference of about $50).

xbatis
05-12-2011, 3:13 PM
what's the difference between a Nikoplex or BDC?

Izzy43
05-12-2011, 3:28 PM

Mueller's warranty is lifetime and transferable to another owner if you transfer the original receipt and their customer service is excellent. Weaver offers a lifetime limited warranty to the original owner only. Leupold and Vortex have probably the best in the industry but the scopes ain't cheap.

If you intend to do any accurate target shooting beyond 50 yds you are gonna want more than 9x magnification. Serious target shooters use 36x and some at 45x @ 50 yds and beyond. Just saying that a 3-9x is great for hunting and casual target shooting but if you intend to get a little serious with the targets or long range varmit hunting for example, you will be pushing the envelope with a 9x. I use a miimum of 9x @ 50yds and a maxium of 25x out to 100yds. Really think over the possible uses of the scope so you only buy once. For hunting, casual target shooting and plinking the Prostaff would be fine.

PS: I wouldn't recommend any high mag scopes from BSA. Had two, very dark at high magnification.

Oldrice
05-12-2011, 4:09 PM
You may want to check this Leapers/UTG scope out:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_5th_Gen_4_16x50AO_Rifle_Scope_Illuminated_ Red_Green_Mil_Dot_Reticle_Zero_Lock_Reset/1808

I know it doesn't have Nikon's name, but the optics are tremendously clear. The red/green mil-dot reticle illumination is nice under certain lighting conditions, but I hardly ever use it. The scope comes with a 3" sunshade, too.

Don't let the price fool you - it is an extremely nice scope and Pyramid is a great company to deal with. I am NOT connected with them in any way other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

I have one mounted on my Benjamin Trail NP XL and really like it alot. I have put hundreds of rounds through the rifle with this scope and have never had a problem with it blowing out or losing it's zero. The Trail NP XL kicks WAY more than a 10/22.

noob_tube
05-12-2011, 5:34 PM
what's the difference between a Nikoplex or BDC?

You can see images of the reticles here: http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-prostaff-3-9x40.html

I have the Nikoplex reticle on mine. I like the fact that it gives me a clear sight picture without any unnecessary clutter. IMO, the BDC reticle is only useful for larger caliber rifles. You wont be doing many 2-300 yard shots with a .22...

pennys dad
05-12-2011, 5:36 PM
+1 for Nikon, I use them on my 22lr's

OpticsPlanet
05-13-2011, 7:44 AM
For newer shooters looking for a rimfire scope, it is important to consider how close the scope will focus. Many scopes without adjustment, have their parallax factory preset for centerfire rifles at 100 or even 150 yards which is much too long for a rimfire rifle. The longer setting will cause you headaches trying to zero the rimfire at closer distances. So, it is importantant to select a rimfire scope that is either factory preset at 50 yards or so, or select a scope with an adjustable objective or side focus capability. Often, muzzleloading/shotgun scopes will serve well for rimfire shooters because they are generally set for the shorter parallax distances.

As for warranties, Burris, Nikon and Leupold all have Lifetime Warranty protection.

George P.

Kryptyde
05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Warranty is yet another great reason to go with the Mueller APV. Lifetime and transferrable.

I had a warranty claim on one of mine. They shipped me a new one the same day I called. Cant beat the service.