PDA

View Full Version : SKS laws

RandallH1989
11-30-2006, 5:08 PM
I'm very confused on the laws of the SKS. I know you need 10 rounds fixed mag, bayonet isn't an issue.. But what's up with the GL thing? I've seen Yugo ones with and without GL's that both said they were CA compliant. What is the deal here?

I THINK that Yugo SKS' HAVE to have the grenade launcher welded on.. And other makes do NOT. Am I right? Also, is the SKS stock with the collapsable butt stock and pistol grip still legal?

blkA4alb
11-30-2006, 5:39 PM
Having the grenade launcher welded on or not does not matter. All the sks that you see for sale (should) have the grenade launcher made inoperable by welding a sleeve over it or replacing it with a muzzle brake. Having the functioning grenade launcher would make it a DD (Destructive Device.)

Since the sks has a fixed magazine you are free to add a collapsable stock and pistol grip (or any other evil feature.) However, if you do this you will also have to play the federal 922(r) game.

mltrading
11-30-2006, 5:40 PM
In Ca, GL is big no-no. Period.

I think you are talking about YUGO SKS 59/66. The original GL must be either neutralized or removed to be CA compliant.:)

neomentat
11-30-2006, 6:26 PM
what's a GL?

blkA4alb
11-30-2006, 6:28 PM
what's a GL?
Grenade launcher.

rayra
11-30-2006, 6:48 PM
Would someone refer me to a good primer on CA law regarding nation of origin re SKS models. I've read a bunch of BS about what is and isn't legal to own in CA when it comes to SKS models and I'd like to get to the real laws of it.