View Full Version : reloading for Garand, how do you prevent slam-fire?

11-30-2006, 4:44 PM
I'm going to try to reload Garand ammo for the first time? I've never reloaded for auto-loader before. What are the do's & don'ts to prevent slam fire? Do you load the same as for a 30-06 bolt-gun (e.g. 03A3)?

11-30-2006, 6:45 PM
Another place to ask/research would be here:

You probably already know this, but reloading .30-06 for the Garand is not the same as loading .30-06 for civilian rifles. Civilian/commercial .30-06 loads are a little too "hot" for the Garand, and could result in a bent op rod and possibly worse.

12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
1. I set my FL sizing die with a case gage so that I push the shoulder back by about 0.004"
2. I cut my primer pockets so that the primer is about 0.010" below flush when seated
3. I clean the pockets after each firing
4. I check each primer is seated below flush

I use WLR primers.

12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I've never had a slam fire. Never seen one. I always hear about people that have supposedly had one.

With properly created cartridges, slam fires in Garands are no more frequent or infrequent than in any other semi-auto firearm.

12-01-2006, 1:03 PM
I don't know the specifics of the Garand firing pin, but IIRC it's not free floating like the AR15 firing pin.

Yes the Garand firing pin is free floating.

12-01-2006, 4:13 PM
Those are floating pins. I use CCI primers for my M1A reloads since these are known to be harder than most primers. Stay away from the softer ones and you will be alright. Search the web as this is a common post in the battlerifles and service rifles forums. A good place to ask is in the reloading forum on Jouster.

12-01-2006, 9:36 PM
I use CCI primers and make sure i clean the primer pocket everytime. I then seat the primers and check it for uniformity. I always load military cases 3-10% below suggested load because of the thickness of the brass. It will increase pressures. Not to mention there is no reason to mistreat these fine rifles.

12-02-2006, 6:08 PM
CCI #34 primers are supposed to be designed for Military Semi Autos. Most people claim that the cup is thicker material. I read something from CCI that actually stated they anvil legs were slightly shorter to reduce sensitivity and reduce slam fires. Personally, I use Winchester WLR and WSR primers and have never had a problem. I would stay away from primers marked Benchrest and Federals, as they are supposed to have a softer cup.
Yes, the Garand has floating firing pin, which will often dent the primer with a small dent. Which is normal with the bolt slamming home on a cartridge. This firing pin strike is why one is not supposed to load a round in the chamber and drop the bolt on it. There is a much increased chance of a slam fire that way. During normal firing, the bolt is slowed when it strips the round out of the magazine. So there is little chance of a slam fire.

12-05-2006, 7:22 PM
I had a slam fire with my M1 Grand. Took me a few minutes to realize what happened. The guy next to me spoted it scared him so bad. It trashed my stock and the bolt. It took me about twenty minutes to pull the stock pieces out of my hand. Other than that I remained calm ( nervous wreck ) while I removed the pieces of stock and controled the bleeding. Why did this happen???? I was loading one round at a time by pushing it into the chamber. This is not good. Get yourself a one round loading block. Make sure your primers are not raised on the round. A primer should be flush or resessed into the round. You keep releasing that bolt on a single cartridge and eventually you get a slam fire. Always check the primers when you load them to make sure they are not raised.