PDA

View Full Version : What is your departments policy on Tattoos

CBRKURT
05-10-2011, 8:22 AM
I have always wanted to become a police officer. I am in construction now and have been since I was about 14 in that time span I have aquired alot of tattoos (comes with the territory). I am just wondering what department standards are on tattoos i.e. Full Sleeves, Hand Tattoos etc etc.. I dont have any facial or neck tattoos but I do have full sleeves and my hands. I was told by an LAPD friend of mine that they would probably allow the full sleeves on a condition that I wear long sleeve uniforms but I would probably have to get my hand tattoos removed. I am sorry if this has been covered before I just want to get some more insight on different department standards.

Thanks in advance!

762.DEFENSE
05-10-2011, 8:42 AM
A have a few friends that have tattoos in OC Agencies and their department standards vary. One who works for Fullerton, told me that if the tattoos make up 25% of that body part or more, it needs to be covered up via Long Sleeves etc.

You obviously shouldn't have any face, neck, hand or head tattoos. Keep in mind you need to look "professional" on duty.

Triad
05-10-2011, 8:57 AM
If they are visible, they need to be covered.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-10-2011, 10:06 AM
No visible tatoos. At least one deputy I personally know had to have one removed if he wanted to wear a short sleeve shirt.

BigDogatPlay
05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
No visible tattoos every place I worked. Sleeved would require a long sleeved shirt or jacket both in uniform and in business attire.

When I was last in DC I happened past a restaurant that was a gathering place for on duty LEOs. A couple of young DC cops I noticed in particular were fully sleeved, with hand and extensive neck work as well. I remember thinking at the time how really unprofessional the visual of them in uniform made me feel about them. But that's DC... not my backyard to manage. :)

cacop
05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Our city doesn't have a policy but no one is getting anything lower than elbow to be safe. One guy was hired with forearm tats within the last 10 years and of course there were a few old timers who had military tats on forearms. Of course the old timers were hired when there was no such thing as short sleeve shirts. One guy did just get tats on his knuckles and no one said anything.

I honestly think the last few chiefs have not wanted to fight that fight.

Erin
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
when i met my chief she shook my hand and looked at my forearms and said. "well i guess itll be long sleeves for you." i had already bought all long sleeves so no biggy. however some of the special teams wear whatever they want with tattoos showing.

Bobby Ricigliano
05-10-2011, 1:19 PM
Nothing may show in uniform. Hands and neck are a big no-go. Bear in mind this includes P.T. uniform during the academy. People usually use ace bandages or big bandaids. Sometimes wrist tattoos can be covered up with a big watch. I am pro-tatoo by the way and have a few.

Jack L
05-10-2011, 3:37 PM
Last time I was crossing back into CA from TJ, I noticed a BP in shorts with leg tats totally visible.

tgriffin
05-10-2011, 4:34 PM
I've seen ccc sheriff contract city officers with full sleeves.

jksupplyco
05-10-2011, 4:41 PM
No Departmental policy, but I always wear long sleeves out of respect for the uniform.

erik18
05-10-2011, 5:04 PM
We used to have no formal policy but people who had full sleeves typically would cover them out of respect.

Since then, a new policy has been passed and now there will be no visible tattoos. If you wear short sleeves, you must wear a "skin patch" such as a TAT JACKET (www.tatjacket.com).

I just wear long sleeves 95% of the time now.

tyrist
05-10-2011, 7:21 PM
Tattoos must be covered

cowboykenny
05-11-2011, 4:44 AM
Must be covered. they don't want us to look like the customers.:eek:

Notorious
05-11-2011, 5:55 AM
No policy really... better not be... we got guys who have pretty extensive or fairly obvious tats... including some of the top brass. Nothing outrageous but you can see them. I have one that is covered by my short sleeves unless I totally reach and the sleeves ride way up then you can see like maybe at most about a half square inch of ink.

One lady one time saw a bit of mine poking out and asked if I had a tattoo and I said yeah. She was so shocked... "YOU GUYS ALLOW THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

I was like... wow... it's not like I had "FTW" across my forehead or "THUG LIFE" across my knuckles or nothing... it was a little tiny dot on my arm.

jaysen
05-11-2011, 9:57 PM
I have "1" on my left Tri and "3" on my right, usually can't see it when I'm wearing long sleeves, however my "X3" on my neck shows quite obvious :) *JOKING*

I've got a half sleeve which extends just pass my elbow and on to the forearm. When I was hired the policy read something like "Nothing offensive or obscene"... However due to the recent idiots in a certain special assignment *COUGH*DICKS*COUGH decided it would be cool to get full sleeve work done our policy quickly changed. It now reads; Anything showing must be covered. Being the bad MoFo that I am, I stopped tailoring my sleeves to show my guns and use the excess to cover the tats - of course if I flex or extend they show..

I know DEPS in the jails are forbidden to have anything showing for obvious reasons...

bubbagump
05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Be honest guys...how many of you got a St. Michael tattoo?

retired
05-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Even tho I know he is the patron saint of leos, being Jewish, I can honestly say I don't have a tattoo of him nor wear a medal of him.:)

2patchHero
05-12-2011, 3:48 AM
For Border Patrol, it's no neck, hands or face tatts. Arms showing is fine as long as it's not offensive.

jaysen
05-12-2011, 3:49 AM

One? I've got several ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk