PDA

View Full Version : I ordered my OLL today :D

DedEye
11-29-2006, 10:51 PM

cornholio1
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and finally registered today. This forum got me really hooked on the idea of building an OLL type AR. I wanted to buy a CMMG OLL, but Cold War Shooters was out of stock so I bought the Doublestar lower.

Did I do good? I didn't make a mistake by buying Doublestar did I? They're no Vulcan, right?

Its gonna take me about a month before I even get the money to buy the rest of the parts for my build, but I'm already fairly certain the route I'm gonna take. I'm going to make a fixed mag M4gery with all the evil feature trimmings, and am planning on using an LMT upper with a 1/7" twist. What are the advantages of a chrome lined barrel over one that isn't? Anti-corrosive properties?

Also, I was curious. If the CA DOJ were to add my OLL (or any OLL for that matter) to the ban list and I had to register it as an AW, would I then be able to use it with evil features and detachable mags? What are the rules regarding firing or transporting an AW compared to a semi auto rifle?

Thanks a bunch, I imagine I'll be here plenty from here on out.

Yea, you did good. Doublestar ranks near Stag. Vulcans probabaly in a category by itself. The chromelined barrel is easier to clean. I don't have answers for the rest of your questions.

WokMaster1
11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Yea, you did good. Doublestar ranks near Stag. Vulcans probabaly in a category by itself. The chromelined barrel is easier to clean. I don't have answers for the rest of your questions.

What he said. +1. Welcome to the club.:)

PLINK
11-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Hold off the build and buy more lowers. You can never have just one.

NSR500
11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Congrats on catching the BRD! As far as building it up, just put it on hold and save up for more receivers just in case. There are quite a few folks on the board stocking up too.

NeoWeird
11-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Welcome, and you've done it now. Once it's in your hands there is this giddy euphoric feeling that comings over you and you just want to say "I own a ****ing AR!" It's one thing to think it, but once it hits you it's a totally different feeling. It happened to me when I first held my AR receivers, when I first held my AK receiver, when I held my finished AK, and most recently when I held my finished AR. It is just a wonderful feeling that you can't describe, and you will get hooked. So welcome, and kiss your credit cards good bye!

As for the question on assault weapons, well the DOJ only has until the beginning of the year to list. Yup, only one more month to list and after that there will NEVER be a registration period without a change in legislation (which I have a feeling is coming anyways, maybe not drastic, but I feel something IS coming). If you did register them about the only thing that would change is you would be required to keep them locked up at your home, they could only be taken to and from the range, and when transporting them they would have to be locked up accordingly. Of course this only applys to California, and once you left the state you could whip it out and throw it on your front seat for all anyone cares. It's only California with the messed up laws.

Joe
11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
So if the DOJ adds all the current OLLs to the ban list, can the manufacturers come out with new OLLs that we would still be able to buy?

Yup :)

SquidBeak
12-01-2006, 8:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm going to make a fixed mag M4gery with all the evil feature trimmings,

Do you really think having the evil features is worth sacrificing a detachable mag?

But now that I think of it, if you're just getting in the game you may not have any hi caps. If that is the case, then I guess I wouldn't blame you.

1hotshooter
12-01-2006, 9:04 PM
Hold off the build and buy more lowers. You can never have just one.

The same words have come from my mouth thousands of times!

:D

Thanks for the purchase and welcome to catching the B-R-D!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tzvia
12-02-2006, 7:00 AM
I thought that too at first. Then I started thinking about the real differences between fixed mag and removable. You are not stuck with the A1/A2 stock, just not collapsable. You are not stuck with nothing on the end of the barrel, just no flashhider. You are not stuck with no grip, just no pistol grip. So I did some searching, and built this (http://home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/ar15/cmmg/fullrifle.jpg). I have since put the sling swivel in the round hole above the grip, and filled in the square one with epoxy just in case (no thumbhole, remember?). I think it looks every bit as nice as this (http://home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/ar15/tangun.jpg). Only lack of $ stops me from putting a rail and reddot on the gripless and I enjoy shooting it more.

SemiAutoSam
12-02-2006, 10:57 AM
How about some pics of how that butt stock works and or in various stages of collapsed to extended positions.

and or a little info on the manufacturer ?

Of all the detachable mag ARs in the picture thread, yours was one of my favorites Tzvia. However, it just can't compare to something like this: http://home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/223orig.jpg

My next OLL build will probably be with a detachable mag.

SemiAutoSam
12-02-2006, 1:15 PM
It does have an interesting look somewhat like a Swiss army knife don't know if it has a function other than a standard telescopic stock but it looks like it folds out like a UZI's.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726&page=2
UberPhLuBB's build. According to him: RRA M4 6-position stock.
I'm not sure that's the stock I'd go with, but I do love the overall look of his build.

12-06-2006, 7:42 PM
I think that the latch to pull the stock out is under the circular part towards the receiver.

|-007-|
12-06-2006, 9:49 PM
Welcome to the party DedEye!

I came here seeking information but I ended up with an M4. Funny how that works.