PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed 10/22

Veggie
05-09-2011, 4:55 PM
I am thinking about picking up a 10/22 and going to some Appleseed events. There are so many 10/22 versions. What is the best version to start with?

cmichini
05-09-2011, 5:25 PM
I took a standard 10/22, got tech sights, and put Uncle Mike Sling swivels (one and 1/4")on it. That with a CMP old cotton USGI sling and GTG.

All told my rifle was just over $300 ($200 rifle + $35PPT + $59-ish sights + $12 swivels).

Pic
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac249/cmichini/DSCN6438.jpg?t=1304987101

davek8s
05-09-2011, 5:48 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any 10/22, but I'd look for the standard carbine model. It's inexpensive and basic.

Eljay
05-10-2011, 9:40 PM
I used the sporter version and it worked very well but the carbine models are fine.

I think the only thing to be careful of in general is that some models don't have the front sight dovetail - the target and tactical versions don't look like it on their website anyway.

Rock6.3
05-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Dump the barrel band on the carbine.
Models without the front dovetail are just fine for techsights, there is an adapter available to solve the problem.
Low power scopes are another way to go, especially for old eyes.

Eljay
05-11-2011, 7:25 AM
If he already had one without the dovetail I'd suggest trying the adapter, but if he doesn't have one already why would he get one that requires an extra part? And have you actually tried the adapter? Can you vouch for it? I'd sure rather just have it sitting in the dovetail - one less thing to worry about.

Rock6.3
05-11-2011, 7:32 AM
Yes, my Ruger 10/22 is a 'T' model with a bull barrel, thus I have the adapter on the rifle and scored rifleman with no problems.

My wife has the 10/22 Carbine and it can also score rifleman with tech sights or a junky 3 power scope.

Eljay
05-11-2011, 1:36 PM
Good to hear the adapter actually works OK.

So I guess the answer for OP is "Get any that appeals to you, and if you don't really care get the cheap one."

jbush
05-11-2011, 9:32 PM
Any 10/22 is ok. The standard models have a heavy trigger. but the aftermarket parts are cheap to lighten it up.

Killawhale415
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Nodak spud even has a front sight post for heavy profile barrels. Turn your target style 10/22 into an appleseed shooter.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2hhof8k.jpg

Spetsnazos
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Im tempted to do it as well but its a little pricy

cal3gunner
05-11-2011, 10:58 PM

8200rpm
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Are their any advantages or disadvantages to using a scope in appleseed if its allowed?

You can shoot whatever you like. The program's goal is to teach/promote fundamental marksmanship; it's not a shooting match with a strict rulebook.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=419996

jimbos44
05-12-2011, 7:27 AM
already have 4 .22's, but if I were to get one it would be the LVT(light varmit target). colored, laminated stock and heavy barrel.

FastFinger
05-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Dump the barrel band on the carbine.
Models without the front dovetail are just fine for techsights, there is an adapter available to solve the problem.
Low power scopes are another way to go, especially for old eyes.

I'm starting to get my 1022 ready for Appleseed also, just picked up the Nikon Prostaff 4-9x.

Does the barrel band make that much of a difference? It looks empty w/o it, but if it improves accuracy... well I'll need all the help I can get, so function over form and the band will get tossed. Although that means I'll need to get another sling swivel also.

I wanted to earn the patch with iron sights, but I'm finally suffering from presbyopia, hence the Prostaff.

Just removing the band will also help?

Toyman321
05-15-2011, 6:46 AM
I've got a 10/22 with a heavy barrel, the barrel is rather long and makes the rifle front heavy, which isn't a problem bipod shooting, but would the front heaviness (is that a word??) this be a problem for Appleseed? I've been thinking about picking up a 2nd 10/22 for an LTR build, but if I could just use the adapter and swap out sites that would be great.

Eljay
05-15-2011, 6:57 AM
Barrel band: Depends on the rifle. Barrel harmonics are kind of strange and having an artificial point like that sort of pinching things doesn't help any. Judging from testing on some of the rimfire groups a majority of the people see an improvement without it, and only a few people see it get worse. I'd do a test before blindly removing it, but yeah, it's probably a cheap way to pick up some slight improvement.

heavy barrel: I'd just as soon not have the extra weight but other than wearing you out a little faster it's no problem. Pick it up, go into a standing position, and ask yourself how do you feel about doing 10 shots, one per breath, 2 minute time limit (which is enough time to lower and come back up every couple of shots just so your muscles don't get shaky.) Lighter's nicer but you won't get any sympathy from the guy shooting a Garand if you know what I mean.

gratefuldog
05-15-2011, 8:57 AM
(putting on my flame suit...)
The best 10/22 you can buy is a Marlin 795! :)(@ 1/2 the price)

Flyingpootang
05-15-2011, 9:23 AM
(putting on my flame suit...)
The best 10/22 you can buy is a Marlin 795! :)(@ 1/2 the price)

My 10/22 is an excellent shooter, yeah I put a lot of work into mine, but to get a stock one to shoot just as well can be done for under 50.00. I don't own a Marlin, but from all that I read about them I would definitely look into it.

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 5:40 PM
Hello,

The one I used was set up like this:

1. Tech-Sights.

2. Smoothed barrel bed, band in place, thin piece of cork gasket material under barrel at the point where the barrel band sat. This established one known pressure point, which I believe to be best for sporter barrels, as opposed to heavy barrels.

3. M1 Carbine sling.

Expect to hit the bolt with CLP after every 100 rounds or so. You won't get to do any more cleaning that that.

Ran through it with that setup real quick to make rifleman, then switched to the SKS (which promptly broke its hammer spring -- figures) and then my bolt action Savage.

Most times it's a "shoot what ya' brung" thing. On my 'scoped bolt action Savage .22, they would not let me use the bipod (I'm glad I have a sling on it), and they would not let me try scoring rifleman with my 1911, though there was some small debate about it among the range officers.

Oh -- on the Tech-Sight rear, I did drill out the 0-2 peep to a ghost ring. Faster target acquisition that way, and practical accuracy is not really affected at 25 yards.

Josh