PDA

View Full Version : Wearing out a mainspring???

J.D.Allen
05-09-2011, 2:56 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or had a mainspring loose tension or wear out due to ALWAYS keeping the hammer back on a single action pistol? Is that even something to be concerned about?

NorCal Einstein
05-09-2011, 3:02 PM
The action of a spring compressing AND decompressing will wear it out. Holding a spring in one state OR the other shouldn't wear it out prematurely.

himurax13
05-09-2011, 3:14 PM
The action of a spring compressing AND decompressing will wear it out. Holding a spring in one state OR the other shouldn't wear it out prematurely.

Exactly. This is why it is possible for a magazine to be loaded for years and still work properly.

wu_dot_com
05-09-2011, 3:47 PM
keep in mind that the above assumptions is made assuming the spring was never compress pass its permanent set.

thus under normal ideal condition, the spring will never loose its spring tension while being held in any stage of its compression. however, normal environmental elements like corrosion, temperature variations, Foreign Object Damage (FOD) can all give this infinite life a finite number.

J.D.Allen
05-09-2011, 4:26 PM
keep in mind that the above assumptions is made assuming the spring was never compress pass its permanent set.

I would assume that cocking back a hammer on a pistol would not do this.

thus under normal ideal condition, the spring will never loose its spring tension while being held in any stage of its compression. however, normal environmental elements like corrosion, temperature variations, Foreign Object Damage (FOD) can all give this infinite life a finite number.

I think it would be a long time before I had to worry about any of this happening to the spring of a properly maintained pistol.

sigfan91
05-09-2011, 4:40 PM
A sig representative told me that main spring (hammer spring) on a sig does not wear out and therefore no replacement is needed, for the life of the pistol. Not sure if this holds true for other pistols...

J.D.Allen
05-09-2011, 5:02 PM
A sig representative told me that main spring (hammer spring) on a sig does not wear out and therefore no replacement is needed, for the life of the pistol. Not sure if this holds true for other pistols...

I'm specifically asking bout single action pistols that require the hammer to be cocked back (and therefore mainspring compressed) to be ready to fire. Sigs are mostly double action.

wu_dot_com
05-09-2011, 6:16 PM
1. I would assume that cocking back a hammer on a pistol would not do this.

2. I think it would be a long time before I had to worry about any of this happening to the spring of a properly maintained pistol.

1. you are correct. the cocking action of the hammer on under properly install condition will never result in compression beyond its design limits. however, if there are broken parts involve, the spring can be deform during cycling action from the recoil force. it is possible for the above scenario to occur, but the likelihood of such occurrence is rare.

2. true, im suspecting based on intelligent guest that the design fatigue life for those springs are probably in the 10 to 100 million cycles. at that point, the part is to be consider to have infinite life under normal useage. most people wont even get pass 100k rounds on their guns.

wu_dot_com
05-09-2011, 6:22 PM
I'm specifically asking bout single action pistols that require the hammer to be cocked back (and therefore mainspring compressed) to be ready to fire. Sigs are mostly double action.

under mechanical design principle, the cycling action is what constitute wears on springs. thus, a DA/SA design will actually experience more main spring wear cycles due to the nature of the design. i.e. rather than lock and cock, a DA/SA pistol will more likely experience decock than recock.

Chief-7700
05-09-2011, 6:23 PM
Since a hammer spring comes with the recoil spring change them both out in the .45 autos around every 10,000 rounds.

ojisan
05-09-2011, 6:51 PM
Almost all gun springs are under some tension even "at rest".

9mmepiphany
05-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Since a hammer spring comes with the recoil spring change them both out in the .45 autos around every 10,000 rounds.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but that a bit long. The general consensus over on Sigforum is 3500-5000 rounds. The rule of thumb for the 1911 is about the same if not a bit less

Chief-7700
05-09-2011, 8:19 PM
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but that a bit long. The general consensus over on Sigforum is 3500-5000 rounds. The rule of thumb for the 1911 is about the same if not a bit less

It all depends upon what ammo I'm shooting factor ball or reloads? I run 16# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring. Measure the springs around 2K rounds and change if needed.