PDA

View Full Version : Sac Co SO and POST questions

medicdude
05-09-2011, 1:47 PM
I am thinking about putting in an application for Sac SO.
I am currently a Paramedic and thinking about a career change.
Most, if not all, agencies require either a POST certificate or proof of enrollment in a POST program. Ive been on the POST website numerous times and maybe its just me but I am very confused as to how to enroll in a basic academy.
When I click any of the academy locations on the POST.ca.gov site, it just takes me to that agency's homepage. I emailed their recruiting guy a while back and he just sent me to the POST website. A vicious circle I tell ya!

Any ideas? Thanks.

medicdude
05-09-2011, 1:50 PM
also, if I find a place to take a PELLETB test, and submit my score, does the SO put you thru a POST academy?

socalblue
05-09-2011, 1:56 PM
also, if I find a place to take a PELLETB test, and submit my score, does the SO put you thru a POST academy?

If you were to be hired the agency would send you to an academy. Given the current hiring situation most agencies are only hiring laterals or POST certified people.

POST certified academy link:
http://www.post.ca.gov/basic-training-academies.aspx

Falconis
05-09-2011, 1:58 PM
To obtain the post certificate yourself, you have to enroll in an academy. More than likely a community college based one.

A Sac Co SO will have to answer the pelletb thing for you specifically. Most agencies will put you through the academy once you passed all their testing phases. The POST certificate you are probably asking about is a basic academy certificate. The 2 most common ways to get that are putting yourself through the academy or getting hired by an agency and having them put you through an academy.

scarry scarney
05-09-2011, 2:03 PM
Yes POST is confusing.

Basically, going to the academy is done one of two ways. You are either sponsored (by an agency, drawing a paycheck from them to go to school) or self sponsored (you pay your own way). Some agencies require you to attend thier acadamy (LAPD, Oakland, CHP, etc), other agencies will accept a POST accreditted school (Check you local community college).

As far as Community college goes, you can either do full time (20 something weeks), or modular (part time). Full time is normally done during the days, and some schools offer the part time in the evening. The modules normally go level III, level II and level I. Full time officers require level I. Some agencies allow Reserve offices to have level II. (level II completes level III first, and Level I completes level III and II).

Not too many agencies are hiring right now. If you are thinking about a career change into law enforcement, you might consider doing the Reserve thing first. It allows you to do the work, and let you see if this is something you (and your family) really want, and it gives you exposure (and experiance) to the prospective hiring agency. (An agency is more likely to hire one of their reserves, before an "outsider.")

On a plus side, being an Paramedic is an advantage if you do get accepted, and then apply to their swat team (after completing FTO, and probation).

Good luck, feel free to pm me for any further info.

BigDogatPlay
05-09-2011, 2:04 PM
California POST academy locations. (http://www.post.ca.gov/basic-training-academies.aspx)

Many are run by community colleges. In Sacramento, the sheriff and city police department run their own. There is also the regional training center which is run by American River College. If you put yourself through an academy you might stand a better shot that trying to get hired and having an agency to sponsor you through. You probably would be best served by asking questions of the recruiting team at the agency you are interested in.

In the current economy I would not limit myself to one agency or geographic area.

If you are hired by Sacramento Sheriff and haven't been to an academy, they would put you through theirs almost certainly. Considering the layoffs of the past year or two I can't imagine they'd be hiring too many outside of their own guys back that they had already invested in but were forced to layoff.

There are guys from Sacramento agencies posting here who can school you better on the local 'lay of the land'.

pbchief2
05-09-2011, 2:10 PM
Los Rios College district here in Sacramento had a public saftey school that offers P.O.S.T. Training. Here's a link.

http://web.arc.losrios.edu/~safety/

fullrearview
05-09-2011, 2:18 PM
I will find the page on POST for you, but as far as I know, SSD is only looking for laterals right now... I hear rumors, both good and bad about hiring for them right now and in the near future, but in this economy, you can take that rumor in one hand, and guess what else in the other. As far as I know, they do not have an academy running anytime soon.

fullrearview
05-09-2011, 2:23 PM
http://post.ca.gov/basic-training-academies.aspx

Just zoom and click away.

EDIT: Bigdog already handled it for ya.

1G_TaLoN
05-09-2011, 3:01 PM
SCSO's training center has been closed for academy programs and is only being used for in-service training. So you are not going to get sponsored through them. SPD is not sponsoring through their academy although it is still running. Putting yourself through an academy is your best bet. And on a side note so you don't get blindsided by this, SCSO has a 7 year minimum jail time requirement before you can go on patrol. You do your 9 month FTO program and then straight into the slammer. But that is for a very good reason, you acquire skills there that make you a safer officer on the street and it is common practice at most SOs. Sac county has the longest term that I know of.

J_B
05-09-2011, 6:16 PM
9 month FTO program? I don't recall it changing..being that there's 2 FTO's in my household (myself and my girlfriend) it's at least 12 weeks long for new deputies fresh from the academy, when we had one.

I don't recall doing your time in a custody or courts setting being a mandatory of 7 years. It's longer now than it used to be due to budget cuts and our patrol staffing being cut.

AND no, we aren't hiring and our academy is no existant for the time being. I hope this all changes.

1G_TaLoN
05-10-2011, 9:11 AM
I got 9 months from 12 weeks for each phase 1, 2, & 3. If it is only 12 weeks in tottal than thank you very much for the correction.
SCSO is one of the most sought after agencies to get into in northern California, that being said the common joke when when I hear people talking about lateraling over to that department is "life in jail, with no possibility of patrol" based soley on the long jail term. But hey 4+ years is pretty much standard for any SO in California so it is really a non issue for most guys. I honestly do feel that the jail time does make the officer safer and smarter in reference to the behavior of suspects.

medicdude
05-10-2011, 4:02 PM
thanks guys for the awesome info. i kinda figured not many would be hiring brand new guys with all the layoffs and guys trying to lateral. i guess ill just keep an eye out. id love to work for an SO around here. swat or detective would be cool. and i wouldnt mind the years in the jail i bet id learn alot of good stuff there.

Petro6golf
05-10-2011, 6:50 PM
pm sent

Huevos Machaca
05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
SSD did just hire some on-calls, and a recent grad from the SRPSTC (AR academy) got hired. SRPTC's academy will be co-located w/ SPD's next month, and shares many of the same instructors and facilities.