PDA

View Full Version : Weaponlight/Laser for Handgun advice

K3n
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a question for those who are familiar with the Surefire x400, Streamlight TLR-2, the Crimson Trace for the full size M&P, as well as the Viridian C5L and X5L.
How well do these lasers hold their zero? Any nagging issues?
If the CT Grip is good, I'm thinking of getting it and the x300 or TLR-1s for my FS M&P.
Otherwise, I'll most likely be going with a laser/light combo unit unless any of you have alternative words of wisdom. :)

McTerry
05-09-2011, 3:34 PM
Crimson Trace seems to be the Go-To Laser for the M&P crowd (as long as you are right handed and don't have the Thumb Safety on your M&P). I know there is a company out there making laser rear sights but from what I have heard they are about what they look like, cheap, ugly, and not worth the shipping it would cost even if they were giving them away for free.
Streamlights are also very popular along with the x300 series lights for the rail. Can't really go wrong with either. Best bet is to find a light that fits you though.

djleisure
05-09-2011, 3:48 PM
I have the a TLR-2 on my full size HK USP .45 and it works great. I like the ability to use the light alone, laser alone or light and laser at the same time, plus the rocker switch (for temporary or full-time on) is very easy to access. No problems with it returning to zero after removal either. I have TLR-1's on a couple other carbines and pistols and have never had any problems with Streamlights - they are very bright and rock solid.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/img_8226.jpg

Skunk2Racer
05-09-2011, 4:23 PM
I have the Viridian C5L on my HK P2000, Works Great, Holds Zero, Just point & Shoot

K3n
05-09-2011, 4:23 PM
sweet. thanks you two. dj: your HK looks mighty fine :D
anyone else got opinions please chime in!

RobT2K
05-09-2011, 4:47 PM
I have the TLR-2 on my MP 9mm, it has been problem free. The only issues I've had is carbon buildup on the lense after extended range trips. Now I mostly shoot with it off and then put it back on for a few mags worth to check zero. It's always right on.

LBDamned
05-09-2011, 4:51 PM
I have laserlyte rear sights with a Insight WX150 on my M&P .45...

I like the Insight light a lot - but the laser sight's adjustment springs went bad (or something) after one shooting... I had it zero'd then after shoot it was off and couldn't adjust it... Laserlyte's customer service was great, sent me an entire replacement (even prior to me returning the bad laser).

I've shot it once since installing the new leaser sight and so far it has stayed on target.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get an iTAC WLL1: http://itacdefense.com/ShowProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=23&CategoryID=40

It's a laser/light combo - the same exact light as the Sig Sauer STL-900L (made by iTAC): http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/stl-900l-tactical-lightlaser-285.aspx I have to believe it is good quality for Sig to be carrying one branded for them...

iTAC are sometimes hard to find... a primary source I use is Hinterland Outfitters... and they carry iTAC product (holster and lights) - here's the light: http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/itac-defense-itacwll1-tactical-light-laser-p-33053.html (looks like they are out of stock right now)...

Cheapest I found on quick internet search is $156 (not sure how much shipping is): http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=itac+wll1+for+sale&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=5067921082265013259&os=sellers#scoring=p

Z_SprizL
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
+1 on the Streamlight tlr-2. Supper sturdy when mounted feels solid, and the ambidextrous controls make it simple to operate with either hand.

K3n
05-10-2011, 8:47 AM
thanks. starting to lean towards Streamlight because of lower price and what seems to be good reliability.

I have the Viridian C5L on my HK P2000, Works Great, Holds Zero, Just point & Shoot

The illumination from the light adequate? Ive seen the laser in action. Looks awesome.

camron882
05-10-2011, 9:51 AM
are surefires worth the price, i know the safariland holster for warrior with light is olny for surefire...i like the lower profile than some other lights as well.

Skunk2Racer
05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
thanks. starting to lean towards Streamlight because of lower price and what seems to be good reliability.

The illumination from the light adequate? Ive seen the laser in action. Looks awesome.

Yeah for a small LED that sucker is pretty bright, works well in strobe mode also. for $325 It's Excellent.

SixtyDashOne
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a TLR-2 on my P30S. It stays on the gun fulltime since that's my night stand gun, so I can't make any claims about whether it holds zero with repeated removal. I honestly don't get much use out of the laser though, so I kind of wish I had saved myself a few bucks and just gone with the TLR-1 instead. I think for the money though, it's about the best bang for your buck.

It did take some getting-used-to on my part to shoot the gun with the light attached though. I found myself shooting either way too low or way too high with the light attached, something like 6" or so at 10yds. It was pretty drastic. Wish I could remember if I was shooting high or low, but at any rate, with enough practice I was able to get it sorted out. If I ever take the light off, I'll probably have to re-adjust to it again. Just a friendly heads-up, once you get your light on your gun, make sure you practice with it, whether it's turned on or not you need to get used to all the extra weight up front. Don't just assume you'll be shooting exactly the same with the light as you used to shoot without.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5008/dsc01292hm.jpg

MrOrange
05-10-2011, 12:05 PM
If'n I had such a weapon, I'd seriously look at the CTC Lightguard/Lasergrip combo.

One thing that's always bugged me since the first Surefire jobbies went out of fashion is why there's no great demand for instant, grip/relax your grip on/off for lights? I don't like the idea of having to play finger tap-dance, especially with the bang switch in the mix, at oh-dark thirty.

Anywho, I'd rather not have 200 lumens on a weaponlight, it'd be just as likely to blind me if it got pointed at a white wall, plus I'd be too tempted to use it for a flashlight, and we all know that's a bad wrong do. So I anticipate the Lightguard would be plenty, and then you'd have both illum and pointer available instantly and automatically when you grab the gun with the adrenalin going.

I have CTC grips on several weapons and they've never shifted POI on me. Here's a pic with a 5+ year old CTC on the left and a 2 month old LaserLyte on the right.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/joesat/dots2.jpg

K3n
05-10-2011, 1:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Very thorough and helpful.

You guys with the tlr-2, is the laser activated with a button or is it a switch?

The only issue i have with the Crimson Trace is that it can be difficult to do momentary "on" "off" without touching the master switch. If i was clearing a house, the laser would be flying around everywhere for all to notice. Not sure if i'm comfortable with that.

And MrOrange, when you use the laser/light combo, is the laser diminished quite a bit with the crimson trace? Or is it just peachy?

I think i'm just going to have to buy EVERYTHING :shrug:

SixtyDashOne
05-10-2011, 2:32 PM
You guys with the tlr-2, is the laser activated with a button or is it a switch?

It's a switch that partially rotates about 45 degrees clockwise or 45 degrees counter-clockwise from center. You can rotate it counter-clockwise and hold it there for "momentary on", or rotate it clockwise for "steady on" and it settles into a kind of "notch" where it remains there, so you don't have to keep holding it down to keep it on. Very easily done with the index finger of your firing hand.

When I say "rotate" I'm probably making it sound more confusing than it is. Basically there are two paddles, one at either side of the trigger guard. If you're right-handed and operating the light with the index finger of your firing hand, you will flip the right paddle up for momentary, or click it down for steady.

awl168
05-10-2011, 6:40 PM
Viridian C5L FTW.

It's compact, offers 100 lumens, has a green laser that the light does not drown out, and it holds zero (so long as you don't take the unit on & off constantly).

The only downside is the cost of the unit and it possibly being out of stock.

tbhracing
05-10-2011, 7:28 PM
For what its worth, I bought the Streamlight TLR-3 because of this Nutnfancy review-

2l9jAKf5gNY

socal425
05-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm running a TLR-1S on both my 1911 and AR15. TLR-3 on my SIG P228 and XD9. No issues at all. "Confidence is high" on Streamlight.

Picasso2
05-11-2011, 7:53 AM
Two thumbs up for the TLR-2.
It's what I'm running on my beretta vertec nightstander, and I am very pleased with it.
Picasso

Can't buy anything here
05-11-2011, 8:56 AM
I'd much rather go with a standalone light and CT grips...no switch to activate for the laser...just squeeze...I have the tlr-3 on my P2000...great light at a great price.

MrOrange
05-11-2011, 1:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Very thorough and helpful.

The only issue i have with the Crimson Trace is that it can be difficult to do momentary "on" "off" without touching the master switch. If i was clearing a house, the laser would be flying around everywhere for all to notice. Not sure if i'm comfortable with that.

And MrOrange, when you use the laser/light combo, is the laser diminished quite a bit with the crimson trace? Or is it just peachy?

I think i'm just going to have to buy EVERYTHING :shrug:
I don't have the Light/Laserguard combo, I use a separate Surefire G2 with a P61 upgrade bulb for my goes-with-the-gun around the domicile light. It's cushy duty so I'm not too worried about the incandescent bulb popping, and of course I have other lights laying around more or less handy besides the one on my belt.

I tried taking another wall pic with the flashlight in the mix, but it washed out in the camera. (I almost said it washed out "on film" but that ain't right.) IRL the CTC dot is bright and dandy in the 120 lumens the P61 supposedly puts out. This light is on the border of too bright for me for indoor use; if I shine it directly on the semi-gloss off-white wall at less than six feet or so it's distracting.

The Lightguard is rated at 100 lumens, so I don't think washout would be a problem.

I had to go look up the master switch location on the M&P Lasergrip. It seems strange they put it on the back of the grip, but it seems to work ok w/o being inadvertently turned off. At least I didn't see any mention of it doing that in a quick search. I think if it did, CTC would've fixed it ASAP.

Or, when you said you were worried about touching the master switch, were you worried about it turning the laser to constant on? That's not it's function, it's for turning the laser off completely, deactivating the pressure switch in other words, to prevent it from coming on accidentally while being transported or the like.

K3n
05-11-2011, 2:50 PM
ORANGE:
Sorry, i should have clarified. I meant that when the master switch is already on, the laser will be on as long as i am gripping the gun. Whereas with a laser that has a toggle switch or push button, i can hide my location/movements without having to take my hands out of shooting position.

fifthward
05-11-2011, 5:33 PM
+1 TLR-3...if you decide you don't need a laser!

Compact, Lightweight, Durable, Bright

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx10/fifthward_p2000/tlr3a.jpg

MrOrange
05-14-2011, 10:27 AM
ORANGE:
Sorry, i should have clarified. I meant that when the master switch is already on, the laser will be on as long as i am gripping the gun. Whereas with a laser that has a toggle switch or push button, i can hide my location/movements without having to take my hands out of shooting position.
Actually, it's just the opposite.

The beauty of the CTC style switching is that all you have to do is slightly tighten/lessen your grip to turn the laser and/or light on/off. It's intuitive and you'll do it without even thinking about it. Much less of a distracting movement than flipping a thumb safety, or moving your finger from index to the trigger, let alone reaching up and moving toggles around with any finger.

As a side note, almost all first-timers with the Lasergrips make the same mistake: They TRY to turn the laser on. They'll make motions or change their normal grip thinking they have to consciously do something to activate it, which causes it to not come on. Once I convince them to just grab the dang bullet-launcher like they have been (or would grab any other tool), it comes on just fine.

yuccales
05-14-2011, 4:04 PM
We have both a TLR-1s and a Laserlyte. Both are rugged, work great. The TLR is way bright. The wifes laser holds zero just fine.

Irv
05-14-2011, 5:02 PM
+1 TLR-3...if you decide you don't need a laser!

Compact, Lightweight, Durable, Bright

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx10/fifthward_p2000/tlr3a.jpg

Fifthward:
Did it come with a key for the HK45c so it doesn't slid forward?
If not, did you modify a key to hold it in place.

Can't buy anything here
05-14-2011, 8:34 PM
Here's the other side...:)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1070134.jpg

fifthward
05-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Irv

For the HK45c...I used the Key D (Keltec PF9)...although it isn't in the tlr-3 manual that Key D is specific to the 45c...it fits like a glove!

hyeg35
05-14-2011, 11:37 PM
TLR-1s on my 90-TWO

http://i.imgur.com/egHgG.jpg

Irv
05-15-2011, 9:58 AM
Irv

For the HK45c...I used the Key D (Keltec PF9)...although it isn't in the tlr-3 manual that Key D is specific to the 45c...it fits like a glove!

Thanks for the answer, looks like a viable option now.