PDA

View Full Version : swivel holsters

jjdeneen918
05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Who uses them?

Pros cons, ect....?

I thought I would look into them, even just for novelty sakes. Who makes the better holsters out there. I've heard Hoyt made the best but no longer in the industry.

Who makes a good 1911 with tactical light (Surefire 300 series) swivel holster?

biochembruin
05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't much care for the "hon solo" swivel holster, but there are many that do. In a struggle, the holster can swing around quite a bit, making it difficult to retain your weapon, or even draw it, if it swings forward and gets pinned between you and the suspect. However, it can be slightly faster on the draw from standing. Some also say it's more comfortable when sitting, as you can place the gun on your lap.

Ted Blocker makes some really good ones: http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/

I see you're in Long Beach. Lapraac at the LAPD academy usually has them in stock. Although you may want to call ahead.

Jonathan Doe
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I used to use Hoyt revolver holster when I issued a revolver. My department now authorized Safariland non swivel holster for Beretta or other authorized pistols. I don't like swivel holsters for semiauto pistols. The fixed holster is not slower that swivel holster.

BigDogatPlay
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Swivel holsters are, to some degree, frowned upon these days in many uniform regs. I have a Hoyt swivel for 6 inch K frame that I got second hand, a CHP guy apparently had it made as it's marked with his name and ID #. I also have a Safety Speed swivel for S&W 39xx / 59xx that also (somewhat) fits a Commander length 1911. Both gave very good service in their day, and they make riding around in the unit all day a little more bearable.

They suck to run with though.... :)

Back in the old, old days a lot of swivels for revolvers exposed the entire trigger guard, like the one below. These could actually be used, in an extreme, by simply undoing the strap, taking a firing grip, rotating the muzzle forward and firing through the bottom of the holster. A sergeant I had way back when changed from a belt level breakfront to a swivel similar to this one after an actor got the drop on him late one night for exactly that reason... being able to rock and fire without having to draw against a gun who already had a gun on him.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/robbt1959/pythonshoemaker.jpg

oddjob
05-09-2011, 3:13 PM
I used to use the non swivel Hoyt with my M-66 4". Still have both. I'm retired now, but I know a few officers now who use the swivel with their semi-autos. Their reasoning is that its more comfortable in the car. I didn't ask the brand name though. I think Nelson holsters make swivel holsters for semi's.

I remember the Super Vel rounds when they first came out. The days of saps, sap gloves are long gone now.

bluestaterebel
05-09-2011, 4:00 PM
Ted Blocker FTW

artthestampede
05-09-2011, 4:41 PM
I just got a ted blocker forward only swivel 4'' drop and I love it

tyrist
05-09-2011, 6:00 PM
If you want a swivel then Ted Blocker is great. It has a snap to secure the pistol when not in the car.

I don't care for the swivel myself.

Notorious
05-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Ted Blocker FTW!

I got one for my Colt revolver from a generous copper who doesn't need it anymore. It's on my leather setup for dress occasions. Nothing looks as right as a cop in leather gear with a big hunk of metal and wood revolver in a swivel holster backed up by 29" of red dymondwood.

CapnHawk
05-10-2011, 7:58 PM
I used a Tex Shoemaker swivel for my revolver throughout my entire career. Never thought about changing to anything else.

cowboykenny
05-11-2011, 4:47 AM
we don't allow them any more. I saw a LAPD motor's gun fall out of one one time.

Notorious
05-11-2011, 5:29 AM
Oh... I'm sure we allow them based on the fact that we have guys using way cheaper holsters... like the cheap-oh nylon jobbies that make you hurt to see a gun inside it.

Andy Taylor
05-11-2011, 7:47 AM
The only people I've seen lately using them are motor officers with various agencies.

retired
05-11-2011, 4:04 PM
I used a Tex Shoemaker swivel for my revolver throughout my entire career. Never thought about changing to anything else.

Nice guy. I didn't carry a swivel, just wanted to mention that Tex was a nice guy. His company was/is in San Dimas, one of my patrol areas.

Notorious
05-11-2011, 6:56 PM
Just double-checked, mine is a F.M.Pitt made by Earl's Saddlery out of NorCal.

c3 rolling
05-11-2011, 8:12 PM
Swivels are still pretty popular in the LAPD. I carry a Alfonso's swivel for my 4506-1. I like it because its more comfy in the car and I like having my gun right next to my hand without scaring the public:rolleyes:. Its a double retention (2 snaps) and only swivels forward so its not an issue on foot pursuits and never had an issue with it during uses of force. Their website sucks and has no pictures of duty holsters, ill try take a pic of mine. Only con I can think of is that the butt of your duty weapon tends to get banged around more. The grips on my Glock 22 look like crap from less than 4 years in a swivel.

http://www.alfonsosgunleather.com/

jjdeneen918
05-14-2011, 1:45 PM
Here is the response I got from emaling the Ted Blocker website:

We can make a swivel holster for your 1911.* However, we have to include an additional strap on the holster because of the 1911 being carried in the cocked & locked position.* There is a picture of a tac light holster for a 1911 on our web site under the SP100L.
Regards
Shelley

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/product.cfm?pi=61740C82-A016-93F2-2C3AEA1A1512822A