View Full Version : Intrafamily transfer question (husband to wife)

05-09-2011, 6:59 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has come up before, I did not find it with the search function.

If a husband wants to transfer a handgun into his wife's name, do they need to do anything other than fill out the Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and send a check for 19 bucks to the DOJ?

Does it make any difference if both the husband and wife are Sworn LEO's?

Thanks for the help,


05-09-2011, 7:02 AM
nope, just fill out the form.

the only difference is that since the recipient is an LEO, she doesn't need an HSC card since as an LEO, she is exempt from the HSC regs. (and I seem to recall that someone had mentioned that op-law transfers were exempt from HSC so that might not even matter).

05-09-2011, 7:20 AM
See here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4912852#post4912852) and here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1092992&postcount=7), although not absolutely required it wouldn't hurt if you first write out a simple 1-sentence contract documenting the transfer of ownership ('Kimber hereby transfers ownership of his NiftyGun s/n 1234 to MrsKimber, and MrsKimber hereby takes ownership of the NiftyGun'). You and your wife would sign and date the contract and you'd keep it in your family records, no need to send a copy to DOJ with the form.

05-09-2011, 9:22 AM
Asked and answered. It really is that simple.

See also the wiki article - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members