PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend building a 1911 from a frame, and where to get a frame?

Geofois
05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm building an AR, and always loved the 1911 but never owned one. Does anyone recommend a good place in socal to get a frame? Is it even worth it to build as far as price? I'm wondering if there are vendors to mail out a complete kit minus the frame for a good price. If I wanted to build a stainless steel one I'm wonder how much. I just want to build a beater.

jessegpresley
05-08-2011, 11:34 PM
You'd have to use a single shot exemption to get a frame. Wilson sells complete 1911 kits you can build yourself. Caspian is probably the most popular outfit to get a frame from.

Geofois
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry, for asking a dumb question, but what does using a single shot exemption to get a frame mean? Roughly how much for the kit and how much for the frame? I want to build a single stack. My friend has a paraordinance in stainless steel he'll sell me for $750, only 50 rounds through it, but it's a double stack.

ArkinDomino
05-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry, for asking a dumb question, but what does using a single shot exemption to get a frame mean? Roughly how much for the kit and how much for the frame? I want to build a single stack. My friend has a paraordinance in stainless steel he'll sell me for $750, only 50 rounds through it, but it's a double stack.

Why are you interested in a double stack if you're looking for a single stack?

Geofois
05-08-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm not interested in a double stack. I specifically am interested in a single stack if anyone knows roughly how much to build a beater.

IPSICK
05-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Find a deal on a Rock Island or Springfield GI. There is your frame, just dump the top.

Geofois
05-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Find a deal on a Rock Island or Springfield GI. There is your frame, just dump the top.

I keep checking to see if someone is selling one, but I mostly see some nice ones. One will turn up sooner or later.

Laura
05-09-2011, 1:00 AM
I just saw a RIA posted for $500.00 AND the money is for a great cause. You should check it out.

ELEVENTH HOUR
05-09-2011, 1:03 AM
I just saw a RIA posted for $500.00 AND the money is for a great cause. You should check it out.

+1:D

Geofois
05-09-2011, 1:11 AM
Yeah I saw that one too. I am really looking to trade my Russian sks toward one. I had too many toys under my bed so I'm looking to trade for things I want without spending any cash.

jonzer77
05-09-2011, 5:27 AM
Time to get a safe instead of a new toy.

Geofois
05-09-2011, 9:22 AM
Time to get a safe instead of a new toy.

I've thought about safes, but it seems like I would be advertising to a thief that there is something of value to steal. For not gunlocks and hide them somewhere is fine. Unless you mean giant safe that nobody can walk out with that costs more than anything they will steal.

Ubermcoupe
05-09-2011, 9:39 AM
Not to divert from original post but a safe is a must. A thief will just walk away w. Ur triggerlocked piece. A properly installed safe will negate transporting the weapons from your premises. Theres even testimonys about safes surviving tornados n fires.

As far as frames, caspian is well known but theres alot of work involed in custom smithng a 1911. If u just want to tinker, pick up any frame and gather parts, c wat works. :D best of luck.

Geofois
05-09-2011, 9:44 AM
Well, they'll probably be transporting my new plasma tv, and all my other unsafeable things. My guns are probably the hardest thing to find. I'd rather save the thousands since it's just a s&w I paid $299 for and another gun I paid $400 for. But yeah when I starting packing away the multiple $2k competition colts then I'll talk safe. I'm in a condo so messing with the structure of the house is not allowed, but maybe anchoring to the concrete in the garage would be ok.

smokingloon
05-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Not worth it if you just want to do one 1911 kit. There is a lot more that is involved to build a proper 1911 compared to assembling an ar-15.

InGrAM
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I've thought about safes, but it seems like I would be advertising to a thief that there is something of value to steal. For not gunlocks and hide them somewhere is fine. Unless you mean giant safe that nobody can walk out with that costs more than anything they will steal.

Why not bolt the safe to the wall? In a closet or somewhere out of the way but easy to get to? You can easily patch a few holes. Also pistol safes are not that expensive by any means.

morrcarr67
05-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I picked up a used 1927 Sistema frame for $175 plus $10 shipping. I'm going to order a complete builders kit for $225 plus shipping. The DuraCoat for the finish will be between $50-$75 plus shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jesse

morrcarr67
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Why not bolt the safe to the wall? In a closet or somewhere out of the way but easy to get to? You can easily patch a few holes. Also pistol safes are not that expensive by any means.

I was just @ Costco and they had a nice Winchester pistol safe for $299.

InGrAM
05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Well, they'll probably be transporting my new plasma tv, and all my other unsafeable things. My guns are probably the hardest thing to find. I'd rather save the thousands since it's just a s&w I paid $299 for and another gun I paid $400 for. But yeah when I starting packing away the multiple $2k competition colts then I'll talk safe. I'm in a condo so messing with the structure of the house is not allowed, but maybe anchoring to the concrete in the garage would be ok.

Thats a bad idea. Every time you open your garage you are advertising to the whole world that you have a safe first off and second off you have whatever comes with a safe. Which ='s guns, jewelry, ect. (you get the picture)

But back to your OP: I would get an RIA like others have said and then modify that to your liking. If you are serious in "building" a 1911 than you should know how to assemble (fit) parts to an existing 1911 with ease.

wu_dot_com
05-09-2011, 2:55 PM
first of all, how familiar are you with metal work? do you understand the inner working and requirements of the 1911?

here are couple options.

if you are skill with CNC programing and have access to a CNC mechine (3 axis minimum) then you can buy yourself a 60% forge frame ($80-120) w/o involvement of FFL and machine your own frame. Caspian, STI and infinity comes to my mind that may sell those items.

if you only know how to do precision metal work through power tools and hand tools and have TIG welding capability, then buy a complete and S/N frame like others have suggest.

if you only know how to use a file and assemble the gun, then buy a RIA and do the upgrades.

Mikeb
05-09-2011, 3:28 PM
It hasn't been mentioned yet so I will. You can't by a 1911 frame in CA, because the frame is the firearm and frames aren't on the "Roster". Anywhere else in America you can call Brownells and buy the frame of your dreams. Here buy a used gun or one the "State" will allow you to have
Good luck
Mike

POLICESTATE
05-09-2011, 3:33 PM
What about an 80% frame? I thought some folks used those to get their custom 1911's in CA?

Mikeb
05-09-2011, 3:37 PM
Yes you can buy a paper weight and make a pistol out of it ...if you have the skill and tools
take care
Mike

TMC
05-09-2011, 3:58 PM
Is it even worth it to build as far as price?

No. If you could get a frame it would run you $150 on the low end +DROS, then you need the rest of the parts which, if you bought the cheapest in both price and quality, would run about $300-$350. If you want trick stuff (adjustable sights, nice grip and thumb safeties and the like add another $150+++). So now you're at $500+ and you still have to build it. You might be able to get it together without tools but I doubt it so add another $50+ for the basic tools you need for a 1911 (I'll assume you have a hammer, pliers, and screw drivers. After all that if you don't know what you're doing you'll have $500 worth of junk.

I just want to build a beater.

Buy a used Springfield Mil-Spec, they run about $400-$450 and its a good quality gun.

M. D. Van Norman
05-09-2011, 7:44 PM
I picked up a used 1927 Sistema frame for $175 plus $10 shipping.Ö

Nice! Where did you score that sucker? :thumbsup:

Iím just about done bringing a battered 1928 frame back to life. It cost me quite a bit more, but I did get a Mk-IV upper as part of the package. :D

mikaarce
05-09-2011, 8:01 PM
check centerfiresystem, find an ffl and build from a basic RIA.

http://centerfiresystems.com/rockisland.aspx

morrcarr67
05-09-2011, 8:30 PM
Iím just about done bringing a battered 1928 frame back to life. It cost me quite a bit more, but I did get a Mk-IV upper as part of the package. :D

Cool sure would like to see pictures of her when you're all done.

M. D. Van Norman
05-09-2011, 8:38 PM
You can bet on it. :D