PDA

View Full Version : i guess i tend to go overboard a bit.

straykiller
05-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Ok this all started last night around midnight with a dam bipod stud. I decided last night i was going squirrel shooting today with my dad and i would take out my stock ruger 10/22 that hadn't been used in along time. After dusting it off i realized i couldn't even put a bipod on it like the bolt 22 i usually use. So i ran out to the garage, found a bipod stud i bought along time ago and drilled out the stock and put it in place. That got me wondering how hard it would be to add a bull barrel and do some other customizations to it (turns out not hard at all). Well 550 bucks later and i have a bunch of parts on their way to my house now. I'm still a bit new to the custom 10/22's tell me if i did alright for a decent build. Ohh ya and the squirrels shooting was great 25+ easy, i lost count. Thanks

better scope coming after payday.

1.KID Cocking Assembly
2.KIDD Fluted Barrel 20"
3.Harris S-BRM Bipod
4.Alpha-Bravo Bipod Lock for Harris S Model Bipods
5.Hogue OverMolded Rifle Stock OD
6.Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer Ruger 10/22 Stainless Steel
7.Power Custom Extended Magazine Release Ruger 10/22
8.Alangator TriMag Triple Magazine Coupler Ruger 10/22 Polymer Black
9.Ruger Magazine Ruger 10/22 10-Round x2
10.B-Square Bubble Bore Level Weaver-Style
11.Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor Ruger 10/22, 10/22 Magnum, Mark II, Mark III, 22/45

bjl333
05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Sounds about right !!! :eek::thumbsup:

MongooseV8
05-09-2011, 7:32 AM
Everything sounds great with the exception of the Hogue stock. They arent that great for precision work since they flex and change POI. But if you are only shooting squirrels at 30 yards you might be ok. I suggest getting a new or used Ruger Factory Target Model stock since they fit the bull barrels perfectly and wont flex at all.

Make sure to post pictures when you are done assembling ;)

straykiller
05-09-2011, 8:07 AM
Everything sounds great with the exception of the Hogue stock. They arent that great for precision work since they flex and change POI. But if you are only shooting squirrels at 30 yards you might be ok. I suggest getting a new or used Ruger Factory Target Model stock since they fit the bull barrels perfectly and wont flex at all.

Make sure to post pictures when you are done assembling ;)

well thats good information i didnt know, i shoot squirrels from 80-250 yards so flex would be really bad im going to look for other stockes now, im sure midway will either allow me to remove it from my order or send it back to them.

bombadillo
05-09-2011, 8:23 AM
I like it all but I didn't see a trigger upgrade. The Kidd trigger is about the best money can buy but its gonna be around $250 MORE!!!! Volquartsen is OK, but that kidd setup is the money shot. I've never felt a nicer trigger on a 10/22 than one of those.

straykiller
05-09-2011, 8:36 AM
I like it all but I didn't see a trigger upgrade. The Kidd trigger is about the best money can buy but its gonna be around $250 MORE!!!! Volquartsen is OK, but that kidd setup is the money shot. I've never felt a nicer trigger on a 10/22 than one of those.

it will come in due time one package i bought replaces the factory hammer and it is suposed to make a big diffrence but once i have the money i will get the full thing.

im trying to find a new stock that wont flex, i am not a big fan of wood so im trying to find something synthetic thats durable

bombadillo
05-09-2011, 9:47 AM
Man, I wish I had known that you were looking, I just gave my buddy a Fajen fully adjustable stock for a 10/22. I only got rid of it because I had plans to build one up but never ended up getting one as planned. Somehow I ended up with a Marlin 795, Marlin 60, and a Marlin "Revelation" from Western Auto from around the 60's. I'm content with my autoloading marlins for awhile.

straykiller
05-09-2011, 4:12 PM
Man, I wish I had known that you were looking, I just gave my buddy a Fajen fully adjustable stock for a 10/22. I only got rid of it because I had plans to build one up but never ended up getting one as planned. Somehow I ended up with a Marlin 795, Marlin 60, and a Marlin "Revelation" from Western Auto from around the 60's. I'm content with my autoloading marlins for awhile.

man would have loved a fully adjustable stock lol its all good maybe one of theses days, how was the quality of the stock, what did u pay for it?

MongooseV8
05-09-2011, 5:24 PM
I didn't see a trigger upgrade

The VQ target hammer will get a great trigger weight without spending a whole paycheck. Its awesome for paper shooting and perfect for varmints.

I really like the one I installed in my Squirrel-a-nator, but of course the KIDD trigger is going to be better. I just dont think its really needed unless you set the challenge of building the most expensive rifle possible :rolleyes:

davek8s
05-09-2011, 5:58 PM
Nice build. It's funny how a 10/22 project can avalanche on you. It always starts off small and snowballs from there. Have fun with that thing

bombadillo
05-09-2011, 7:54 PM
man would have loved a fully adjustable stock lol its all good maybe one of theses days, how was the quality of the stock, what did u pay for it?

I believe I paid $80 for it from Skkeeter on the board here. It was in 95% shape. It was a synthetic with adjustable comb, LOP, and angle @ the shoulder. I gave it to a neighbor. I had a 10/22 but it wasn't the one I wanted to upgrade. I guess I should have made that clear. I want to start out with a Kidd receiver with the integrated picatinny rail and go from there.

pennys dad
05-09-2011, 7:57 PM
:useless:

FUBAR
05-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Check out the stocks made by Bell & Carlson.

straykiller
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I believe I paid $80 for it from Skkeeter on the board here. It was in 95% shape. It was a synthetic with adjustable comb, LOP, and angle @ the shoulder. I gave it to a neighbor. I had a 10/22 but it wasn't the one I wanted to upgrade. I guess I should have made that clear. I want to start out with a Kidd receiver with the integrated picatinny rail and go from there.
i was just looking at their receivers, they look very nice, i might order one of their bolts later seeing as their only 100 bucks.

:useless:

soon, parts are in the mail

Check out the stocks made by Bell & Carlson.

i plan on buying one once my funds recoup, but for now i just got a stock ruger tactical black laminate stock off of ebay to use instead of the hogue i ordered.

jbush
05-10-2011, 12:36 AM
It's amazing how fast you can dump money into a 10/22 especially when you can shop 24/7 online. Been there, done that. I think you'll be happy with what you've got. I've heard the Power Custom trigger parts with the adjustable sear are good also. Good scope and your set. Good luck and good shooting

Kryptyde
05-10-2011, 1:23 PM
Nice choice on the KID parts...I went overboard on my 10/22 a lot (complete KID supergrade build) but what a joy it is to shoot. The KID 2 stage trigger is expensive...but it is truly marvelous.

I dont care for natural wood stocks either...you might consider a laminate...perhaps in more (or less!) subtle color scheme than mine below (Boyd's Evolution in 'Sky'):
http://members.cox.net/kryptyde3/KIDD.jpg