PDA

View Full Version : Need help from anyone stationed at Camp Pendleton

Noonanda
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I went today to register my firearms on base. I was able to register everything except my OLL Stag-15 AR and my OOW MK99 AK. these are both in fixed mag config, and I tried to explain this to them how roberti-roos and SB-23 applied, but they were stuck on the RR thing, and how even though they are not listed by name, that they are still similar. I'll try to find some stuff on DOJ later but I figured someone here at pendleton may have gone through this before. Now I do plan on registering em as Assault weapons, but till then they are in Cali- legal Config due to having fixed 10 rd mags. Has anyone registered their OLL weapons on base, and if so what documentation did you need to show them?? Als I have the paperwork to reg em as assault weapons but who do I need to go through to accomplish this?? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Noonanda
11-29-2006, 5:10 PM
no-one has run into this before?? I hoped to have a few pointers from some more knowledgable people than myself. Right now I'm gonna keep em at the inlaws just till I can get the actual AW paperwork taken care of so I can remove the fixed mags.

Pryde
11-29-2006, 5:22 PM
no-one has run into this before?? I hoped to have a few pointers from some more knowledgable people than myself. Right now I'm gonna keep em at the inlaws just till I can get the actual AW paperwork taken care of so I can remove the fixed mags.

I was at pendleton but I lived in California beforehand so I know nothing of the process.

AFAIK, from what other board members have posted before:
-You get a request form to register a military AW from the CAL-DOJ.
-Take it to your CO and have him sign off on it.
-Mail the form in and you should be set.

Again I am not well informed on the subject but this is what I garnered from what others have said. Your best bet would be to call the DOJ and ask them what you need to do and get the forms needed to do so.

Noonanda
12-10-2006, 7:30 AM
I have achieved victory. I printed a bunch of the letters from here out and took em down to the base reg office on friday morning and proved to them that if it aint on the list it is legal. I brought the 2 toys in question back to my house friday night and all is well. I have to take the rifles back down on monday to reg on base but heck atleast I can keep em at my house

on a different note has anyone shot any OLLs at either On Target in mission veijo or the OSA in oceanside, and if so did anyone give you a hard time??

Richie Rich
12-10-2006, 7:50 AM
Iron Sights in Oceanside has a "not up to us to decide what is legal" policy.

As long as it is not F/A or supressed you are good to go.

Don't think I have ever been there and not seen at least one AR. They even still have one as a range rental. Couple of the guys who work there have their toys on .mil AW permits.

ivanimal
12-10-2006, 9:01 AM
Would it be possible to have the powers that be on the base ask the DOJ for a letter clarifying the law in this matter? Maybe they would get a straight answer and we would have a letter to show our fellows in law enforcement. They would have to answer a military request, NO?:confused: Comments?

shonc99
12-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Yes, it would be great if the base asked for clarification, but if the base allows them, then the DOJ isn't too concerned as the DOJ doesn't have jurisdiction ON the base, only off.

I am Navy so I don't know the process for USMC as most Navy bases do not allow personal firearms period.

The CA DOJ MIL AW permit has NOTHING to do with your CO or your base. On the form there is NO PLACE for someone in your chain of command to sign off on. (good for you if the CO would have a problem)

The permit allows you to keep your PERSONALLY owned AW's in CA, (not necessarily on base) but again, the CA DOJ AWpermit has nothing to do with the MIL.

Besides the form and payment, the only thing that the instructions say to include is a copy of your orders.

If you have more questions,PM me as I havespentconsiderable timedealing with the CA M.A.W.P.

eckerph
12-10-2006, 11:27 AM
They make you register youre guns on base? Thats weak, two bases and countless base commanders and ive never had to register crap. Only exception is if you live in dorms you have to keep your stuff in the armory.

M. Sage
12-10-2006, 12:49 PM
@ Noonanda: You do know that if you're not a CA resident, you can register those bad-boys as AWs, right?

Noonanda
12-10-2006, 1:32 PM
[quote]Noonanda: You do know that if you're not a CA resident, you can register those bad-boys as AWs, right?[\quote]

Already planning on it, got the paperwork just need to get fingerprinted and the stuff will be in the mail.

On that note where can I go to get my fingerprints done, I was gonna do them on base but they have not gotten their fingerprint machine yet.

Reason why the toys are registered on base is cause I live in base housing, otherwise I wouldnt have worried about it. Man you should have seen their faces when I brought all 18 in, 1 shotgun, 1 BB gun, 2 pistols, the rest rifles (mostly c&R) it was funny

eckerph
12-10-2006, 3:17 PM
Reason why the toys are registered on base is cause I live in base housing, otherwise I wouldn't have worried about it. Man you should have seen their faces when I brought all 18 in, 1 shotgun, 1 BB gun, 2 pistols, the rest rifles (mostly c&R) it was funny

Damn, I live on base too. Is this just for camp Pendleton or are all MC bases like that? I think its pretty ridicules to make you register you're weapons like that.

Noonanda
12-10-2006, 6:10 PM
probably just pendleton, when I was at fort sill you just brought in the info, not all the guns LOL

shonc99
12-11-2006, 6:24 AM
BEFORE you send in your AW ppk, make sure you have all the firearms on the form you need/ want to register. ;) Once you send it in you CAN NOT ADD anything to it. Perhaps you need to visit your home state one last time to make sure you didn't forget anything-;)

There is nothing in the regs that says you needed to own a particular firearm before coming into CA, only that you owned it before sending the permit ppk in. ;) ;)