View Full Version : Guard Card = Proof of residency?

05-08-2011, 4:11 PM
Is a guard card and CADL good enough for a DROS?

had vehicle reg and HGSC in pocket but they did not ask for it

X91 exemption on the HGSC

Then they either used the Guard card for proof of residency along with CADL or they forgot to ask for a second proof of residency

05-08-2011, 4:24 PM
I don't recall having an address on my Guard Card. It expired years ago though, so my memory may just be faulty.

05-08-2011, 4:24 PM
I wouldn't use that, you can have your Nevada or Arizona guard card without being a resident, so I would just stick with vehicle reg, CADL and or utility bills.

05-08-2011, 5:11 PM
The guard card does have your address on it, and they tell us that it must be correct and if we move we must notify them or they will cancel our card. The store did not ask for any proof of residency. They just asked for CDL and Guard Card and brought the DROS form back to have it signed.

05-08-2011, 8:52 PM
Were you buying a handgun or a long gun? All you need for a long gun is a current CDL I believe. I used my GC as my second proof for a handgun, but you already know now that it works.

I don't currently have a use for my GC but since I moved 6 months ago, I should probably let them know I moved, so I don't have to take the powers of arrest test again and go through all the background and finger printing stuff.

If you are licensed to carry I think they wave the 10 day wait but I'm not sure. When I was doing mine and I asked if I could use the GC as proof, he said yes sure and if you were licensed to carry we wouldn't even have to go through this at all.

05-08-2011, 9:48 PM
Your guard card is a government issued license and it does have an address on it. So it works for proof of residency as well as HSC exemption if you have the open carry permit.

05-08-2011, 9:55 PM
I used my guard card today to DROS a handgun.


05-09-2011, 9:49 AM
Your car registration can be used as a proof of residency, that's what I used to get mine.