PDA

View Full Version : Can you fire a .22 in the city limit?

shockwave
05-08-2011, 2:48 PM
Hi I live in Echo Park, LA County, and I have a hell of a gopher problem. Im going on year 3 and Im now toying with using a .22 to pop em. The issue is I dont know if thats legal? Im secluded from anyone else and am shooting against dirt I just have neighbors and dont want them to call the cops on me. Any advice?

Themandalorian
05-08-2011, 2:55 PM
I don't know for sure but If I had to guess I would say no. Just get a pellet gun I'm sure that'd be decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BG5OReoxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZHEQ6X3bo

Us3rName
05-08-2011, 2:58 PM
No. It is still discharging a firearm within city limits. It is illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere within 150yards of any man made objects (I think its 150 yards) Unless otherwise permitted.

2Bear
05-08-2011, 3:03 PM
Pellet gun and...
http://www.cheappetproducts.net/VendorPics/Full/BCI/0/000655.jpg

BayAreaShooter
05-08-2011, 3:05 PM
I would be careful. It could also be illegal to fire a pellet gun in city limits as well.

rdmmdr
05-08-2011, 3:46 PM
inside city limit firearm is a no no. outside city limits 150 yards away from an occupied dwelling/structured that you don't own or control, unless otherwise prohibited.
rick

Us3rName
05-08-2011, 4:37 PM
pellet gun is fine to use in the city as long as your not in idiot about it. (GGPD)

I had a neighbor that is with GGPD and he catches me shooting my co2 BB gun outside all the time. Hell he even gave me pointers back then.

goathead
05-08-2011, 7:01 PM
22 lr thats a bad idea on all levels

ivanimal
05-08-2011, 7:22 PM
In my town both are illegal.

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2011, 7:30 PM
pellet gun is fine to use in the city as long as your not in idiot about it. (GGPD)

I had a neighbor that is with GGPD and he catches me shooting my co2 BB gun outside all the time. Hell he even gave me pointers back then.

So it's fine to break the law as long as you're not an idiot?:confused:

I would reconsider passing out bad advise. Echo Park is inside the City of Los Angeles. LA has a law against discharging an airgun. In fact, it is the exact same law as discharging a firearm is.

Jack L
05-08-2011, 8:35 PM
Hi I live in Echo Park, LA County, and I have a hell of a gopher problem. Im going on year 3 and Im now toying with using a .22 to pop em. The issue is I dont know if thats legal? Im secluded from anyone else and am shooting against dirt I just have neighbors and dont want them to call the cops on me. Any advice?

It's a lot easier to use chemicals. I shot 250 squirrels out here on my ranch the first year I moved out here. What a lot of work that was. I studied for, applied for and received a CA Pesticide Applicators License. I use Weevilcide now. It's a lot safer than shooting a firearm. It's 100% effective. There must be a product a non license homeowner can buy.

I would not advise you to discharge a firearm where you live. Remember you may want to get your CA CCW someday and if you get busted for firearms violations that could be the end to that notion.

http://www.researchfumigation.com/msds/Weevilcide_Pellets_%20Label_10_03.pdf

CharlesV
05-09-2011, 5:38 AM
How things have changed. When i was a kid in the 50s everyone popped birds and pesky varmints right out their front door in normal housing neighborhoods. Even the taxidermist next door was out there in a chaise lounge in his back yard every single Saturday morning collecting inventory from the sky as well as the ground.

The weapon of choice then was a bolt-action .22. We had one, a Remington, $8.95 brand new and i still have the receipt and the rifle. Some neighbors were deer hunters and all they had were 30-30s so they used those and some adventurous types used 12-gauge. God knows where all those bullets went.

We never fired any weapon in front of a passing cop car but the cops didnt seem to mind any of us with rifles on our shoulders. Why should they mind? We were all friends then, cops were on our side most all of the time.

shockwave
06-08-2011, 3:43 PM
thanks for all the responses Im gonna stick to my poison and pluggin the holes.