PDA

View Full Version : Reloading question.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Is reloading for two or three caliber's really worth it?
I was thinking of reloading .308 and 7.5mm and maybe .45
Any help appreciated.

thmpr
11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
What do you mean by worth it? Currently reloading 4 calibers..

bu-bye
11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Its very cheap to load pistol cals. It only cost me about $4 per box of 50 45ACP. Thats only $80 per 1000 rounds. With one pound of powder you can load around 1200 rounds.

Rifle cals take a lot more powder and that brings your cost way up. With 308 you will be paying as much as surplus BUT your ammo will be match grade. So the cost will be about the same as the cheap stuff but you will have a much better round. Side by side with factory match grade ammo and you are saving more then half.

Not sure about pricing with 7.5, sorry:(

C.G.
11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Currently I am loading .50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel and .308. Savings really show up on the Beowulf and the Grendel, because factory rounds are expensive. I already have the dies, but haven't loaded yet, .357 Sig, 9mm Para and .223/5.56. With the cost of ammo going sky high I think I picked the right time to reload.

ocabj
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
If you consider yourself an avid shooter, then reloading for even one cartridge is worth it. The reason why I started reloading is because I hated paying for .45ACP ammo. I only shot handguns at the time and .45ACP was the big dent in the wallet.

Eventually I migrated towards rifles and started reloading for those, too. I would not be shooting as much as I do now if I don't reload.

I would definitely be shooting a lot less frequently, or be shooting more rimfire if it weren't for reloading.

Is it a money saver? Yes and no. If you are dead set to shoot X amount of rounds per week/month/year, then you'll save money. But if you are the type of person that wants to shoot as much as possible with Y amount of money, then you'll simply be able to shoot more since you'll be spending the same amount you'd spend on factory ammo, but you get more ammo for your money via reloads.

But either way, reloading is definitely 'worth' it if you are an avid and active shooter because you will either 1) save money or 2) be able to shoot more.

ivanimal
11-29-2006, 1:28 PM
I reload for 7.5 it uses 308 bullets, plentiful, costs of powder is like an 8mm, cases can be found on ebay for both 7.5 French and 7.5 Swiss. I started out just reloading for the 30-30, now I own about 40 sets of dies.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-29-2006, 2:05 PM
Rock chucker single stage.
Or should I go with something else?

eckerph
11-29-2006, 2:07 PM
In short reloading is very much worth it, especially if you can afford to buy components in bulk. Plus my .45 reloads group twice as tight as wally world white box.

Fjold
11-29-2006, 2:16 PM

How much do you shoot? With three cartridges, if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year of each you will want more than one single stage press just to keep from changing and resetting dies all the time.

I find that I burn about 10 Lbs of rifle powder a year and I am going to get back into pistol shooting heavily so that will be another 3-4 pounds. I use three turret presses and a Dillon 450B progressive right now and will probably add another Dillon soon.

C.G.
11-29-2006, 2:20 PM

That is what I got and this is the best price I could find (although they are out right now)
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

Pretty much everything in that kit; you do need to buy shell holders, dies, of course, and at some point you may want to buy a trimmer.

M1A Rifleman
11-29-2006, 3:25 PM
Yes,
do the math yourself it is easy. Use the value of 7000 grains/lb of powder in a can of gun powder. What you will find is that reloading is about 1/2 the cost. For a 308, I get a cost to reload per bullet of 33-34 cents each, which is about $6-7 per box. Pistols will be slightly less. So yes it is cost effective amoung other benefits.