PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with Round Nose Lead?

mnh327
05-08-2011, 2:35 PM
Anything wrong with shooting RNL (Round Nose Lead) from a snubnose 38?

MrOrange
05-08-2011, 2:38 PM
Not the optimum for stopping bad folks is the only drawback.

Technically, the gun was pretty much designed to shoot that load.

CZ9
05-08-2011, 2:38 PM
I shoot it when I cant find fmjs at the store. It seems to take a little longer to clean the barrel, but thats my only reason for not liking it that much.

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 2:39 PM

Nope. You might get some leading of the barrel till you find a good powder/bullet combo but that's about it.

I prefer semi wadcutters but nothing wrong with LRN...

mnh327
05-08-2011, 2:40 PM
I've never had a really dirty barrel before that took real scrubbing. But I've never shot this stuff before either.

Is anything more involved other than hoppes #9 and a brush?

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 2:44 PM
I've never had a problem with plain lead. The moly coated "black" boolits, OTOH... They can take a bit of elbow grease.

I've found Gunslick Ultra Kleenz bore cleaner works pretty well. I'd be careful around a blue finish tho.

iareConfusE
05-08-2011, 3:05 PM
I hear the lead away cloth works well if you lead up your barrel. I know that the cloth works really well on my stainless steel GP100. It removes leading, and stubborn carbon fouling that's been cooked onto the gun.

bjl333
05-08-2011, 3:19 PM

There is nothing bad with shooting lead out of your revolver. The thing that could get annoying is leading in the barrel. When a revolver is out of timed there will be a little lead spitting out to the side and excessive leading in the barrel.

sirgiles
05-08-2011, 3:25 PM
Not the optimum for stopping bad folks is the only drawback.

Technically, the gun was pretty much designed to shoot that load.

says who? are you referring to the RN or lead?
read this: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

bjl333
05-08-2011, 3:25 PM
I've never had a really dirty barrel before that took real scrubbing. But I've never shot this stuff before either.

Is anything more involved other than hoppes #9 and a brush?

It all depends on how soft the lead is. I can tell you from experience a brush & #9 don't always work!!

WWDHD?
05-08-2011, 3:26 PM
Seemed a lot dirtier then FMJ when shot out of my SP101. not just the barrel but all over. Prefer FMJ. Doubt I would ever shoot LRN out of any of my autos.

paul0660
05-08-2011, 3:35 PM
says who? are you referring to the RN or lead?
read this: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Chuck Hawks is frequently full of crap............in case you didn't know.

You will be scrubbing out your barrel until the wee hours, however, as all-lead bullets scum up barrels something fierce.

In 2005 I bought 2000 rounds of .38 LRN, made in France, no less. I believe it was about 15 cents per. I managed to shoot that out of two snubbies and a 4 inch in about two years. There was never an issue with lead fouling; at the slow speeds of a .38 (or cowboy load in anything, including rifles), spalling is not an issue.

If your revolver is a shaver, however, you will find out in a hurry.

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 3:48 PM
Only problem is I never seem to have enough!

sirgiles
05-08-2011, 3:55 PM
Chuck Hawks is frequently full of crap............in case you didn't know.

In 2005 I bought 2000 rounds of .38 LRN, made in France, no less. I believe it was about 15 cents per. I managed to shoot that out of two snubbies and a 4 inch in about two years. There was never an issue with lead fouling; at the slow speeds of a .38 (or cowboy load in anything, including rifles), spalling is not an issue.

If your revolver is a shaver, however, you will find out in a hurry.

if you read the article, its based on other experts with good and validated track records.
and i should rely on your "expert review"? just like your french experience, everyone should take all comments on the internet with a grain of salt.

paul0660
05-08-2011, 4:04 PM
if you read the article, its based on other experts with good and validated track records.
and i should rely on your "expert review"? just like your french experience, everyone should take all comments on the internet with a grain of salt.

I have read that article many times, it is one of my favorites, although quite out of date now. I don't see a single reference to all lead rounds other than Chuck's dismissive take. Mr. Hawks, I would bet, has never shot ANY LRN since he is adequately supplied, for free, with the good stuff. What I said is true. Spalling has to do with FPS, not just the bullet material.

And, he is frequently full of crap. Always informational, but not impartial, and always willing to use his prestige as evidence.

Also, he used to complain loudly about linking to his articles, hopefully he has gotten away from that little bit of egotism.

All you have to do to find out I am right is find a box of LRN and shoot it........or don't. I wouldn't bother with it unless it was very cheap, like less than ten a box for .38, but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot, it, nor would I have to stay up all night cleaning and buying Flitz futures.

NotEnoughGuns
05-08-2011, 6:10 PM
I had major leading with S&B RNL .38s
I have almost no leading with my own cast .38spl/357 & .45 ACP loads.
YMMV

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 7:46 PM
but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot, it, nor would I have to stay up all night cleaning and buying Flitz futures.

Once you find a good combo of boolit hardness & powder/charge weight you can generally put away the Flitz cloth. :D

ummm.... working up a good combo.... well... let's just say I am very familiar with the B-C brand lead removing cloth.:rolleyes:

I haven't actually tried any commercial LRN or LSWC ammo but I would guess they've already done the work & leading wouldn't be a problem.

As for dirty, yes it is. That's from the lube & a bit of vaporized lead. It's not all bad. It keeps the wife from wanting to play with my revolvers. :D

gorenut
05-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I sold my surplus of RNL because my S&W 627 PC didn't like it. Just one range trip would show leading in the barrel. It was also dirty as hell, had to polish it up with a Birchwood Casey lead removing cloth. The barrel I had to basically make my own copper brush using Chore Boy copper scrubber to get all the lead out. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it so sold all of it, especially because I can get 38sp reloads for cheap now.

Voo
05-09-2011, 2:20 AM
I use to shoot lead reloads (RNL/SWC anything that was cheap and/or available) through my 686 and it was not a fun endeavor to clean.. Other than that, it was great for plinking.

The Lead Away stuff (thick yellow cloth) was AMAZING at removing lead and carbon build up...I use to buy the small squares then i saw that they offered a large sheet. So much more economical to just get the sheet and some scissors. Shortly after I learned about choreboy on a plastic brush. Done and done when it came to removing any lead in the barrel. The forcing cone area and cylinder still got a touch of Leadaway but life is much easier with the choreboy.