PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another range near LA

subway
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Although Angeles is easily the closest outdoor range to my location, and they have a claimed 700yd range (I can’t see any targets beyond 600yds...) they just don’t make it easy on target shooters. Probably because they do such great business, they don’t want to slow down the action by having guys wandering around on the range putting up targets at all variety of distances. The way that they are set up, 90% of all shooters place their targets at 100yds, with just a handful at 50yds and even less at 200yds. They do not allow for ANY paper targets beyond 200yds.

While they do offer steel targets at 200, 300, 400 yds (and a couple that appear to be at 500 or 600 yds), I’ve never gotten much out of shooting at steel. Especially at a place as busy as Angeles: when almost every lane is full and you’ve got a few 50 caliber guys nearby and some guy with a muzzle brake in the adjacent lane, there is a continuous roar of noise and its impossible to hear any ‘clang.’ (and shooting .30-06, there is no way that I can keep the target in sight immediately after the shot; maybe if I was shooting a .223 or similar…so I can’t see hits on steel, either.)

To cut to the chase, I really want to find a place that allows the use of paper targets out beyond 200yds. I don’t need to place targets at 700yds (although it might be fun once in a while…) but I want to shoot “groups” at 300 to 500yds and I just can’t do that at Angeles. Any suggestions?

(and while I’m complaining, should there be a “No Muzzle Brake Day” at every range for folks who would rather accept a little recoil instead of blasting out the eardrums of everyone around them?)

Draven
11-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Burro Canyon, or Lytle Creek. Or some down on the Orange Co/Riverside side. All likely to be less orderly than Angeles.

Sydwaiz
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll make sure to let you shoot my Windrunner first on "no muzzle brake" day! j/k! Actually, I heard on certain days, I think Wed, you can take paper out to 300 at ASR. Not certain though. Try Desert Marksman. Never been so I don't know on that one.

lugee
11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Burro Canyon, or Lytle Creek. Or some down on the Orange Co/Riverside side. All likely to be less orderly than Angeles.

i was gonna say the same.

randy
11-29-2006, 1:38 PM
Burbank Rifle and Pistol club or Desert Marksman

TheMan
11-29-2006, 6:35 PM
Burro Canyon is a nice range, but it doesn't have the long distance like what he is asking for. The rifle range is only 200 yards.