PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Super 90 or M2?

Wildhawk66
11-29-2006, 9:19 AM
I'm considering buying a Benelli shotgun and was wondering if anyone has shot both the M1 Super 90 and the M2? If so, I would much appreciate a comparison or any thoughts you might have on these shotguns. The M1 is about $300 cheaper these days, but doesn't have a few of the features such as cryo tube, that the M2 does. Are those features really worth the extra money? As for use, I plan on using it primarily for sporting clays and trap, with an occasion pheasant hunt, etc. Thanks in advance.

vikingshelmut
12-03-2006, 4:38 PM
Howdy Wildhawk66! You survive your Super Chavellas today? Let me know if you ever find anyone who has one, and/or if you ever get to shoot one. I'd be interested in knowing how well that Comfortech stock works. My shoulder is still hurting from today. What can I say, I'm a wuss.

Ironballs
12-03-2006, 6:48 PM
M2 has option to have comfortech, and option to have cryo tubes (which are longer than normal chokes). I belive a base M2 (no comfortech, no choke tubes) is about 250ish more than M1, than add for comfortech and add for choke. For hunting, the tubes would be a nice touch. Comfortech on the otherhand, is full of mixed reviews. Saw one on THR where a guy tried them both and found no diff, saw a review on SGW (below) where the guy says it works great. Most testing that is not sxs say it offers nothing.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=89929&highlight=

For tactical... M1 imo- spend the rest on shells... (personally I'll take an 11-87P for my semi,...)

robairto
12-03-2006, 7:57 PM
I have a m1 26" in satin black that is about 7 years old. It has funtioned flawlessly throughout with 3" magnums while duck hunting. I've
completely submerged the gun a couple of times on accident. It runs
like a timex and fits my small stubby hands. Iv'e never noticed any
issues with the gun when firing it and it shoulders quite nicely with
no more recoil then the other guns I use. I can't say anything about
the new chokes/comfort tech other than I will skip it when I buy
a new one. The rubber pads on the comforthech don't shoulder and
lockin like I prefer. That's my .02. RB

vikingshelmut
12-03-2006, 8:04 PM
How light of a load can you use? I'm interested in doing some sporting clays on a regular basis, and shooting 100+ rounds can take it's toll on a guys shoulder. The lighter the load I can use the better. I've heard other "inertia" based semi-autos have problems with the lighter loads, so I'm curious if it is the same with the M1.

anotherone
12-05-2006, 7:30 PM
Just get the M-1. Personally I use a Benelli Super Nova but then again I'm hunting some pretty brutal rice fields where the gun must be able to survive being buried in mud and submerged in water.

randy
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
I can't tell a big difference in recoil between the two, but I shoot trap loads and lo recoil slugs. Perhaps if you shot heavy game loads the difference in the stocks would become more noticable.

I'd save the $300 and get the M1

vikingshelmut
12-06-2006, 6:47 AM
I can't tell a big difference in recoil between the two, but I shoot trap loads and lo recoil slugs. Perhaps if you shot heavy game loads the difference in the stocks would become more noticable.

I'd save the $300 and get the M1
Randy, what size trap loads do you shoot through your M1?

randy
12-06-2006, 2:47 PM
1oz. 3 dram 7.5 or 8

1 1/8th os 2 3/4 or 3 dram 7.5 or 8

I try to buy estate shells and winchester ranger 1oz lo recoil slugs

randy
12-06-2006, 2:49 PM
I have shot lots of winchester AA all different loads but it's just a bit spendy and I the Estate runs great. I don't shoot Trap I use it for 3 gun