PDA

View Full Version : SAIGA FFLs in NorCal

brighamr
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I know the whole SAIGA controversy, but I am a believer that "if it doesn't say Kalishnakov USA, it's not banned". I checked with an FFL in Southern California who buy and sell SAIGAs and he will sell one to me if I drive the 10 hours down there. I called every dealer I could find in Northern Cal and all of them are either ignorant or scared and wont do an order or transfer... What I want to know is: Does anyone know an FFL in Northern California who has a brain and wants to do buisness? If so, please let me know!!! I personally will buy two of them just to make it profitable on his/her part.

TIA
-Glenn

mltrading
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Have you tried BigMac (Irvington Arms @ Fremont)?

brighamr
11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Have you tried BigMac (Irvington Arms @ Fremont)?
Hadn't tried them. I just called, they don't open until 11:30am. I'll call again then and post back the answer. Thanks for the info!

While I'm waiting, anyone have an FFL near Modesto/Ceres/Stockton?

brighamr
11-29-2006, 1:48 PM
Just talked with Irvington Arms. He stated he has sold them in the past, but they wont be selling any more SAIGAs until next year. The reasoning was that the laws are too grey right now.

So, I am back at the beginning. There's one FFL in the whole state that will sell SAIGAs and he's 8 hours away... Anybody else have a Nor-Cal FFL they'd recommend?
-glenn

bwiese
11-29-2006, 1:50 PM
Try Almaden Gun Exchange...

Saiga case is gone. There were some other issues in the case you spoke of and AW stuff was just an add-on. DA's office didn't know cr*p.

kilword
11-29-2006, 2:50 PM
At that time, after the new law passes, he will stock SAIGAs for sale.

And I will be there to buy one! haha

brighamr
11-29-2006, 3:05 PM
Try Almaden Gun Exchange...

Saiga case is gone. There were some other issues in the case you spoke of and AW stuff was just an add-on. DA's office didn't know cr*p.

Just talked to Mike at the Gun Exchange, they don't carry the SAIGAs and wont transfer them either. Still looking...

hoffmang
11-29-2006, 3:17 PM
I'd wait 30 days and buy yourself one from Big Mac in January.

-Gene

brighamr
11-29-2006, 3:22 PM
I'd wait 30 days and buy yourself one from Big Mac in January.

-Gene
Part of the reason I want to buy one now is that we don't know what new laws are going to be created next year and with Pelosi in action, they might be banning SAIGAs for good. If I buy one now, then I will be able to register it within the 90 day period of any ban.... I guess if all else fails I will have to wait, but I'm hoping someone one here has a contact they will share.

mdhpper
11-29-2006, 3:31 PM
I've been thinking of a couple myself, lucky for me I'm located in SoCal. A local shop even has one in .308, I think I will step up to the plate and buy that one and another in 7.62X39. Just in case things change.

arguy15
11-29-2006, 3:50 PM
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one in the Sacramento Area is anyone knows someone that will transfer.

lugee
11-29-2006, 4:01 PM
I've been thinking of a couple myself, lucky for me I'm located in SoCal. A local shop even has one in .308, I think I will step up to the plate and buy that one and another in 7.62X39. Just in case things change.

where is this shop?

CalGunsNoob
11-29-2006, 4:23 PM
I'd be careful with these. I'm not saying they're illegal, I'm only saying it's close to the line.

The model 'Saiga' is listed. So what's variable is the importer. Personally I think they're legal if not K USA. But, my opinion won't help anyone who gets in a jam.

But, I could see a Saiga posing more of a risk than a completely unlisted rifle in a local traffic stop or contact with law enforcement when out shooting. The assault weapons guide lists Saiga. So I could see an officer confiscating or making an arrest based on that.

It just seems to me that it's more likely to cause a problem with with a cop and more likely to cause a problem with a DA if you're in a bad county.

Don't take this as an 'it's illegal post', rather it's a 'be careful' post.

I think that if you're in the wrong place this has the potential to cause you lots of problems.

brighamr
11-29-2006, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, and legislation education. With all that aside, it is quite apparent that myself and several others want the currently legal Russian American Armory SAIGAs, which is the whole reason I created this thread, to find FFLs. Please only post in this thread if you know of an FFL who will sell/transfer or order a RAA-SAIGA. There are already enough threads dedicated to debating why or why not to buy a SAIGA.

bwiese
11-29-2006, 4:34 PM
I'd be careful with these. I'm not saying they're illegal, I'm only saying it's close to the line.

I used to say this too. But after getting more information (i.e., Kilmer etc) it's cool.

Yes, with any off-list rifle you can run into dumb cops. That's a risk with anything in this arena.

Off-list Saigas should be much better than other guns given 'normal' appearance.

brighamr
11-30-2006, 1:41 PM
Ok, so for any of those wishing to go the SAIGA route, XXX in Duarte has four .308 SAIGAs in stock for $599, and XXX in Orange County is currently ordering some .308 and 762's. PM me for info, also see new post below.

JCG
11-30-2006, 2:43 PM
If you want a Saiga (RAA) sit tight. Just stay posted and sit tight.

Can't really say much more

brighamr
11-30-2006, 3:52 PM
xxxx

mdhpper
11-30-2006, 4:19 PM
Wow, those are great prices!

morepoop4u
11-30-2006, 8:18 PM
I can't post any contact info, but if you want to buy a CAL-legal RAA-SAIGA and live in Sacramento-Modesto area, PM me. Maybe we can get a small group buy going.... Basically, there's a place selling them and I found an FFL that will transfer them. Prices right now are as follows, but may go lower if several people are interested. FFL fee is $25 and DROS is $25. One FFL fee applied per person, but not per purchase :)

Saiga 7.62 Rifle- 16.3 Inch Barrel - $239.96
Saiga 7.62 Rifle- 20.47 Inch Barrel - $255.96
Saiga .308 Rifle - 16.3 Inch Barrel - $304.96
Saiga .308 Rifle - 21.8 Inch Barrel - $377.96
Saiga .308-1 Wood Rifle - 21.8 Inch Barrel - $363.93
Saiga .223 Rem Rifle - 20.47 Inch Barrel - $255.96

He's a DOJ troll and this is a GB trap haha:D j/k...Sacramento ay:p. Saiga in .308 is temping but I have to many commie guns. Nice prices none the less.

Charliegone
11-30-2006, 8:29 PM
He's a DOJ troll and this is a GB trap haha:D j/k...Sacramento ay:p. Saiga in .308 is temping but I have to many commie guns. Nice prices none the less.

I know where you are getting them (the saigas that is) from hehe. But I won't tell don't worry.:D

dd03
12-02-2006, 8:16 AM
This is a bit off topic.

I was talking to my friend and he informed me that Saiga can't accept AK mags. Is this true?

BigMac
12-02-2006, 9:35 AM
yes it's true

Wicked501
12-02-2006, 9:45 AM
It's built on an AK, which is 100% illegal in California. It's listed here by name : http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/aw.htm

Any gun that is that grey or is illegal, don't waste your time because it's only going to lead to problems. Let's say you get your hands on one legally and you're out shooting it in the desert. A BLM ranger or police officer see you with it and you'll win a free ride in a Police unit. If they find it is legal, what do you think your odds are of getting it back from them? I stay away from grey stuff, because I want to be able to take my stuff to the range or desert without headaches. Get a SKS, trick it out as much as California legal and have fun or get a Kel Tec SU16 C-A model or Bushmaster 223. California legal AR15. Best of luck.

Wicked501
12-02-2006, 10:42 AM
It worked a while ago lol. Moonbeam must be changing all the forms before he gets into office. lol. Sorry for the bad link.:confused:

bwiese
12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
It's built on an AK, which is 100% illegal in California. It's listed here by name : http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/aw.htm

Any gun that is that grey or is illegal, don't waste your time because it's only going to lead to problems. Let's say you get your hands on one legally and you're out shooting it in the desert. A BLM ranger or police officer see you with it and you'll win a free ride in a Police unit. If they find it is legal, what do you think your odds are of getting it back from them? I stay away from grey stuff, because I want to be able to take my stuff to the range or desert without headaches. Get a SKS, trick it out as much as California legal and have fun or get a Kel Tec SU16 C-A model or Bushmaster 223. California legal AR15. Best of luck.

Dude, you are SO misinformed it's pitiful.

Whatever a cop thinks is really irrelevant, and merely an exhibition of low IQ.

Why is a Saiga w/no evil features more troublesome than a gripless legal OLL AR-based design?

Q
12-02-2006, 1:33 PM
Dude, you are SO misinformed it's pitiful.
Why is a Saiga w/no evil features more troublesome than a gripless legal OLL AR-based design?

i agree 100%:D

TonyNorCal
12-02-2006, 1:37 PM

You're mistaken on the current state of California firearms legality.

Additionally you should look into federal 922r issues before you go tricking out your SKS too much.

colossians323
12-02-2006, 8:07 PM

DOJ Troll.:eek:

brighamr
12-02-2006, 9:30 PM
You're mistaken on the current state of California firearms legality.

Additionally you should look into federal 922r issues before you go tricking out your SKS too much.

+1000000000000

Vigilante
12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
So are RAA Saigas actually legal now? If so, is this a result of that recent court case involving a person in possession of a saiga? I don't think that I have read a definite answer yet. If they are legal then I have to get a few of them.

hoffmang
12-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Based on Harrot v. County of Kings (http://www.law.com/regionals/ca/opinions/jun/s055064.shtml), RAA Siagas have been legal since 2001. Due to the fact that DOJ loses ability to update the list on 1/1/2007, most FFLs have figured that waiting a couple of months so that there is no additional incentive to list is wise.

You should expect broad availability of RAA Siagas or other Siagas not listed on the Kasler list starting in about 30 days.

-Gene

Kenshin
12-03-2006, 12:41 AM
I Can"t Wait!!!

BigMac
12-03-2006, 7:25 AM

That is like saying don't buy a Stag because it's based on the AR15 action.

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-03-2006, 7:39 AM
What about Roger's Relics in Santa Clara?

JCG
12-03-2006, 11:53 AM
RAA Saiga's have always legal...... Harriot. There is a court case days away from finaliaztion that will re-inforce that

hoffmang
12-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Until Harrot, RAA Saiga's were in a grey area. After Harrot it is quite clear they are legal.

I believe that Bill Wiese is buying that Saiga you refer to once that case is over.

Apologies for mis-spelling Saiga in my earlier posts.

-Gene

neomentat
12-04-2006, 9:14 AM
I can't post any contact info, but if you want to buy a CAL-legal RAA-SAIGA and live in Sacramento-Modesto area, PM me. Maybe we can get a small group buy going.... Basically, there's a place selling them and I found an FFL that will transfer them. Prices right now are as follows, but may go lower if several people are interested. FFL fee is $25 and DROS is $25. One FFL fee applied per person, but not per purchase :)

Saiga 7.62 Rifle- 16.3 Inch Barrel - $239.96
Saiga 7.62 Rifle- 20.47 Inch Barrel - $255.96
Saiga .308 Rifle - 16.3 Inch Barrel - $304.96
Saiga .308 Rifle - 21.8 Inch Barrel - $377.96
Saiga .308-1 Wood Rifle - 21.8 Inch Barrel - $363.93
Saiga .223 Rem Rifle - 20.47 Inch Barrel - $255.96

please PM me to share your source, I would love to get my hands on a couple at these low prices. thanks

MrTuffPaws
12-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Myself as well. I would buy a Saiga at the drop of a hat.

dd03
12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Will you let me know the source too? :D

socalguns
12-10-2006, 3:36 AM
This is a bit off topic.

I was talking to my friend and he informed me that Saiga can't accept AK mags. Is this true?

Yes. As-is, saiga's don't accept AK mags.
There are 2 hurdles, the AK magazines almost fit
(need some minor filing to get mags to lock in)
and they lack a bullet guide (integral in saiga mags).
Others have already done the hard work
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=10983&st=0
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=10983&st=30&p=109980&#entry109980

brighamr
12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
After much research and phone calls, the final answer is that no-one will be getting SAIGAs until 2007. There are several distributors selling, but the problem is that no-one wants to accept them in Cali... I guess we will just have to wait.

hoffmang
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Just wait for 1/1/2007.

-Gene

bwiese
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Quite a few of the Saigas now have calibers as part of their model name.

So that should further encourage confidence in getting Saigas.