PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my 10-22 after trip to Appleseed

VictorFranko
05-08-2011, 6:51 AM
I never owned a 10-22 before last month. I bought it to take to a Project Appleseed class. Taking a new, out of the box rifle didn't work out so well for me. My high score was 191, but 210 is the required score to patch.
So yesterday I installed a few custom parts to help things run more smoothly next time I attempt to patch.
Installed were a Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release, Target Hammer and Target Trigger. I picked these parts up from Midway, on sale right now.
I have not shot it yet, but the trigger feels great!
Also installed, and important for Appleseed, was a PWS T3 Extended Magazine Release Lever (not from Midway). This is a nice piece. Simple operation with your trigger finger without breaking your grip on the rifle. A good looking on the rifle piece too.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/PWS_ARC_Lever_L_8.jpg

jbush
05-08-2011, 8:29 AM
You got to take it out and try it. You won't believe the difference the trigger upgrades make. The factory trigger is so, so bad. I have 2 10/22s one has reworked trigger, one original, it's not like even shooting the same guns. I think you"ll find you use the gun more with the reworked trigger. Good luck.

AmoAgave
05-08-2011, 9:11 AM
That is very cool!

VictorFranko
05-08-2011, 9:33 AM
You got to take it out and try it. You won't believe the difference the trigger upgrades make. The factory trigger is so, so bad. I have 2 10/22s one has reworked trigger, one original, it's not like even shooting the same guns. I think you"ll find you use the gun more with the reworked trigger. Good luck.

I'll get out with it, that's for sure! Been shooting something every weekend it seems for months, just taking a break to get something done at home and to give my wallet a much needed break :p

kablooie
05-08-2011, 4:12 PM
what's the different between dremeling out the bolt piece/lock (so it doesnt lock) and getting the Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release?

looking to upgrade my 10/22 so i just bought the
PWS T3 10/22 Magazine Release Lever since you referenced it. thanks! lol.

ojisan
05-08-2011, 4:22 PM
what's the different between dremeling out the bolt piece/lock (so it doesnt lock) and getting the Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release?.

Nothing.
Unless you don't have a dremel.
Besides, it's fun to add lots of new gun goodies to the shopping cart.
:)

VictorFranko
05-08-2011, 6:49 PM
what's the different between dremeling out the bolt piece/lock (so it doesnt lock) and getting the Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release?

looking to upgrade my 10/22 so i just bought the
PWS T3 10/22 Magazine Release Lever since you referenced it. thanks! lol.

$7 seemed a good price for a 10-22 noob!
I think you will like the PWS T3.

kablooie
05-09-2011, 6:19 AM
how did the items fit? mixed reviews show the trigger may not fit right in the polymer guard and the bolt release is silver with some blems.

Flyingpootang
05-09-2011, 7:42 AM
To make your 10/22 shoot accurate you should free float the barrel channel, bed the action and loose the front barrel band. It'll shoot clover leaves or better groups and will cost under 20.00 for a DIY job.
Supplies needed: JB Weld (standard) sand paper, Silicone white grease spray, You Tube, and common tools.

kablooie
05-09-2011, 7:43 AM
To make your 10/22 shoot accurate you should free float the barrel channel, bed the action and loose the front barrel band. It'll shoot clover leaves or better groups and will cost under 20.00 for a DIY job.
Supplies needed: JB Weld (standard) sand paper, Silicone white grease spray, You Tube, and common tools.

does this work on a nylon stock?

Flyingpootang
05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
does this work on a nylon stock?

JB Weld stick to almost anything. You can try a test on your stock and see if it'll work. You can always drill anchor holes or rough up the area for a better bite.

not-fishing
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Victor,

You need one of these http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm for your Ruger.

The boy and I shot Appleseed a couple of years ago with M1 Carbines (1st day) and AR15 (Him) M1 Garand (me) the second day.

I'll never forget how the instructors would congregate around me on the rapid fires.

They just liked the rifleman's cadence with the "Ping" at the end. :D

jbush
05-09-2011, 1:35 PM
If I was goinig to bed the action, I think I'd use to pillar bed, pressure pad system discribed on RFC. A little bit more work but allows you to fine tune your groups to your ammo by changing the torque setting on the action screw which adjusts the barrels harmonics. Looks pretty simple with standard hardward parts. When done you find the best torques setting for your ammo or different ammos and simply adjust the screw to ammo you are going to shoot for the best groups. Seems pretty simple. Haven't tried it yet, but those who have swear by it. Just my opinion.

Eljay
05-09-2011, 3:30 PM

It only needs to shoot 4MOA for Appleseed. There's really no need to fiddle with that - it's more about making life easier for the shooter - improve the trigger (and ideally do the bolt release thing while you're at it), install some better sights (TechSights in my case), and to install a sling you put on 1 1/4 " swivels. That's really all you need to shoot well above the required score.

Flyingpootang
05-09-2011, 4:34 PM
It only needs to shoot 4MOA for Appleseed. There's really no need to fiddle with that - it's more about making life easier for the shooter - improve the trigger (and ideally do the bolt release thing while you're at it), install some better sights (TechSights in my case), and to install a sling you put on 1 1/4 " swivels. That's really all you need to shoot well above the required score.

Great. Sounds like a good time for first time shooters as well veterans.

VictorFranko
05-09-2011, 7:51 PM
how did the items fit? mixed reviews show the trigger may not fit right in the polymer guard and the bolt release is silver with some blems.

Everything fit very well

Victor,
You need one of these http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm for your Ruger.

Yup, I already ordered the techsights, thanks!

pennys dad
05-09-2011, 7:55 PM
Nice job! and Nice job going to the Appleseed

Eljay
05-10-2011, 9:35 PM
Great. Sounds like a good time for first time shooters as well veterans.

It's a good time and the instruction is very effective!