PDA

View Full Version : free float tube came loose!!!

shooterx10
11-29-2006, 9:00 AM
HELP! My freefloat tube came loose on my varmint upper and it sort of scratched the front gas block! :mad: How do I tighten the tube without messing up the gas block and taking everyting apart???

mltrading
11-29-2006, 9:08 AM
Does the FF tube touch the GB before it looses? If yes, return it to where you bought and have them fix it. If no, try to re-tighten it.

Step #1: fix your upper half on an action block or upper receiver claw and fix the whole thing on your vise.

Step #2: Use hands to tighten the FF tube until you can not twist any more.

Step #3: Use a strap wrench to tighten the FF tube.

It should be GTG.:)

P.S. I guess your GB is not the low profile one. That's why your loosen FF tube hits GB. After you re-tighten the FF tube, the GB and BBL should be frre of touching to anything. Don't worry to mess up everything unless your FF tube is one-piece design.

bu-bye
11-29-2006, 9:22 AM
What kind is it?

shooterx10
11-29-2006, 9:24 AM
No, the free float tube had about a 1/8" gap between the gas block and the front end of the free float tube. The upper is a Bushie and looks like this one:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rra/rra_ar0575.jpg

It came loose after I was attaching it to my lower. The fit was kinda tight. After some wiggling around, both lower and upper are happily together.

Perhaps I made the dumb mistake of trying to rescrew the float tube myself that I scratched the back of the gas block... :mad:

I think (now correct me if I'm wrong), the float tube lock nut was not screwed in all the way and then tube was loose and well and everything went downhill from there.

However, I assume the barrel nut CANNOT come loose because the gas tube is locking it in place?

bu-bye
11-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Watch your alignment. If the tube has threaded holes (or a slot) at top dead center, line them up with the gas tube.

I would like to add one thing to Teds reply.....

Remove the gas block and tube before you tighten it down. If you end up tightening the the barrel nut with the tube still in you could bend it. TQ it down and line it up then put the tube and gas block in.