PDA

View Full Version : Build vs Assemble?

mattt
05-07-2011, 8:54 PM
What is the difference between the two? Seems like the ar guysThink they are building rifles when they are only assembling parts together like a lego. I thought Building A rifle was gun smith work. Just me but every time I here a AR BUILD I think of a assemble of parts not build:D

Shady
05-07-2011, 8:59 PM
ar= assemble
ak= build

you arent building anything when you assemble an AR

if you manufacture your own 0 -80% receiver its called a build.

UserM4
05-07-2011, 9:01 PM
People build race cars out of parts.

pacrimguru
05-07-2011, 9:03 PM
ah whatever, you know what they mean regardless of which term they use.

tujungatoes
05-07-2011, 9:04 PM
:popcorn:

vintagearms
05-07-2011, 9:09 PM
I say build since I choose every part, Then get someone else to put it together for me.

Shady
05-07-2011, 9:11 PM
:popcorn:
:D:D:D:43::43:

tujungatoes
05-07-2011, 9:34 PM
I say build since I choose every part, Then get someone else to put it together for me.

...I would call that purchasing.

Shady
05-07-2011, 9:38 PM
ah whatever, you know what they mean regardless of which term they use.

I dont , the words mean 2 different things

some one us ACTUALLY BUILD rifles .

Rhythm of Life
05-07-2011, 9:40 PM
Its semantics. People just need to feel superior compared to others. In reality they are both accomplishing the same tasks, just using different tools.

pacrimguru
05-07-2011, 9:43 PM
I dont , the words mean 2 different things

some one us ACTUALLY BUILD rifles .

maybe it is hard to figure out to some, but i don't think it's that hard. if someone says they built an ar out of a stripped lower, then you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that they meant that they assembled it.

transversely, if someone says they assembled an ak out of a flat, then you can easily infer that they built it. doesn't seem so hard to decipher to me.

762.DEFENSE
05-07-2011, 9:47 PM
Arguing over semantics. Lol

pacrimguru
05-07-2011, 9:47 PM
Arguing over semantics. Lol

exactly! LOL

killshot44
05-07-2011, 9:51 PM
Mattt just has his cranky-pants on tonight.

He knows when you translate fan-boy into english, build means bought. :D

bomb_on_bus
05-07-2011, 9:51 PM
you guys are too funny!

But in all seriousness what do you want the gun to do and how much are you willing to pay can dictate to an extent as far as which direction you should take. IMO of course.

69Mach1
05-07-2011, 9:52 PM
Who cares. Just have fun doing it.

MrPlink
05-07-2011, 9:53 PM
semantics

thrillhouse700
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Really? is this the new .45 vs 9mm?

well206
05-07-2011, 10:25 PM
You say tomato, I say potato.

MrPlink
05-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Really? is this the new .45 vs 9mm?

this is the rifle board, so its more like AK vs AR or Aimpoint vs Eotech.

Don29palms
05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
BUILD and ASSEMBLE are synonyms. They mean the same thing.

BUILD: To form by combining materials or parts

ASSEMBLE: To fit or put together the parts of

supersonic
05-07-2011, 10:56 PM

"PURCHASING?!?.........Don't most people call that shopping??" - Howie Mandell

tujungatoes
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
either way It's neither building nor assembling:p

winxp_man
05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
I always though that

AK = Assemble

and

AR = Build..............................

JK :D

NeoWeird
05-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Build = Tools involved.
Assembled = No tools.

You assemble Legos and build an Erector set. If you buy an upper, slide in the bolt and carrier, slap it onto a lower, etc than you are assembling an AR. Actual construction of the major assemblies, such as torquing on a barrel, or drifting in roll pins is building the upper/lower.

As for the process of creating a firearm from a non-firearm (such as folding an AK flat or milling an AR forging) there is no such term as "build". ATF recognizes "Make" and "Manufacturer" - both meaning the same thing but "Manufacturer" has the distinction of being done for sale/profit.

MrPlink
05-08-2011, 12:28 AM
oh god...

:::AHEM:::

taken from dictionary.com

ASSEMBLE
–verb (used with object)
to bring together or gather into one place, company, body, or whole.
to put or fit together; put together the parts of: to assemble information for a report; to assemble a toy from a kit.

BUILD
–verb (used with object)
to construct by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.

SAME THING!
Any stated difference here is an artificial distinction born of internet gun website culture OR in the case of NeoWeird's example a LEGAL distinction which has no bearing on the practical use of either word.

even the word FABRICATE has assemble in its definition

emy
05-08-2011, 12:46 AM
What are those thing you use to tighten the barrel, install front sight, stock, muzzle brake, bolt hold pin, etc. etc. etc. Good morning MrPlink .

supersonic
05-08-2011, 5:39 AM
Build = Tools involved.
Assembled = No tools.

Actually, that's not true at all. From furniture (entertainment centers/computer tables/desks/file cabinets, etc.) to recreational items (sporting goods/outdoor furniture/BBQ's, etc.) - they all require assembly, and most (if not all) call for the use of tools to complete. At the neighborhood 4th of July party, I really doubt the grill master says to his guests "Check out the new Weber Char-5000 I just built."

What are those thing you use to tighten the barrel, install front sight, stock, muzzle brake, bolt hold pin, etc. etc. etc. Good morning MrPlink .

Those 'thing' would be.......your hands?;)

Don29palms
05-08-2011, 5:51 AM
Threads like this are proof that there is no cure for stupidity.

tujungatoes
05-08-2011, 5:57 AM

yeah...but it's funny huh?;)

glock7
05-08-2011, 5:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post

someone had to build it....;)

21SF
05-08-2011, 6:00 AM

110% agreed. ^^^^stfu

MaHoTex
05-08-2011, 6:06 AM

Thanks for the addition to my Sig line.

VictorFranko
05-08-2011, 6:23 AM
Harley guys do the same. They buy a bunch of chrome parts made in Taiwan, pay a mechanic to install them, pay a painter to paint their tank and fender to look like an Easter egg, then they strut around bragging about their "custom bike".

I had a guy at a tactical rifle class a couple weeks ago talk down his nose after learning my AR was bought and not built.
Out shot him all day, effen idiot.

shadowofnight
05-08-2011, 6:59 AM
AR build, so easy a caveman could do it.....

sendithit
05-08-2011, 9:00 AM
exactly! LOL

EXACTLY X100!!!! So...do we TAKE a dump?...or do we LEAVE a dump? (Personally I never "take" anything out of a toilet bowl after #2 or after I squat over the dirt #2:eek:) In the end (a pun!:)) it sorta all comes out (hey! another pun!:)) the same ;)

dieselpower
05-08-2011, 9:05 AM
assemble
build
manufacture

I can understand someone raising an eyebrow if all I did was slap an upper to a lower and then said "I built this."

If a person assembles a lower from a stripped receiver and LPK/Stock kit...they built the firearm.

Fiveohmike
05-08-2011, 9:10 AM
assemble
build
manufacture

I can understand someone raising an eyebrow if all I did was slap an upper to a lower and then said "I built this."

If a person assembles a lower from a stripped receiver and LPK/Stock kit...they built the firearm.

this +1

FourLoko
05-08-2011, 9:22 AM
I'll just stick with

Ya, I put it together. Leaves out both words.

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2011, 9:23 AM
assemble
build
manufacture

Did they "build" it or "manufacture" it? I believe that legally, they would be "manufacturing" since, if it is done for resale, one is required to have a 07FFL.

dieselpower
05-08-2011, 9:30 AM
Did they "build" it or "manufacture" it? I believe that legally, they would be "manufacturing" since, if it is done for resale, one is required to have a 07FFL.

correct and incorrect incomplete.

If I buy a firearm, complete or in parts to sell it I must have a FFL.

If I alter, assemble, or manufacture a defined firearm away from its original design I must have a 07FFL .

So putting together a stripped lower and selling it only requires a FFL 07.... so add the word "putting together" to the list...LOL

If I buy a complete lower and sell it I need an FFL also...just not a 07.

This is why I say, a person has built a firearm if they assemble it from an LPK and receiver. The word manufacture is for persons who are selling after building...in the eyes of the law. I did not a "manufacture" if I do it for myself without intent to sell.

missiontrails
05-08-2011, 9:36 AM
maybe it is hard to figure out to some, but i don't think it's that hard. if someone says they built an ar out of a stripped lower, then you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that they meant that they assembled it.

transversely, if someone says they assembled an ak out of a flat, then you can easily infer that they built it. doesn't seem so hard to decipher to me.

Concur.

Z.1
05-08-2011, 9:43 AM
EXACTLY X100!!!! So...do we TAKE a dump?...or do we LEAVE a dump? (Personally I never "take" anything out of a toilet bowl after #2 or after I squat over the dirt #2:eek:) In the end (a pun!:)) it sorta all comes out (hey! another pun!:)) the same ;)

haha best answer!

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2011, 9:51 AM
correct and incorrect incomplete.

If I buy a firearm, complete or in parts to sell it I must have a FFL.

If I alter, assemble, or manufacture a defined firearm away from its original design I must have a 07FFL .

So putting together a stripped lower and selling it only requires a FFL 07.... so add the word "putting together" to the list...LOL

If I buy a complete lower and sell it I need an FFL also...just not a 07.

This is why I say, a person has built a firearm if they assemble it from an LPK and receiver. The word manufacture is for persons who are selling after building...in the eyes of the law. I did not a "manufacture" if I do it for myself without intent to sell.

So, as long as I'm not doing it to sell it, if I reassemble magazine rebuild kits, I'm not "manufacturing" them??? Or, does the mere fact that a magazine rebuild kits were previously "manufactured" as complete magazines and just dissassembled for import/sale, mean that reassembling them for personal use (or even for sale) would not be considered "manufacturing" but, just "reassembling" or "rebuilding" them?

missiontrails
05-08-2011, 9:53 AM

Do you throw up? Or do you throw down? Stuff does travel up, but leaves pointed down:)

ConfucianScholar
05-08-2011, 9:56 AM
As a mechanical engineer I can tell you that build and assemble are the same thing.

Now, if you were to buy stock pieces of steel and machine gun pars out of them, or cast them in sand molds, you would be fabricating them. If the fabrication is in a larger scale (in terms of number, not size), then we called it manufacturing.

emy
05-08-2011, 9:58 AM
This is what happens when you guys run out of thing to build , assemble. etc. etc. etc. LOL. good morning MrPlink i finished my project, Is it build or assemble , now i don't know what i did.
Happy mothers day to all out MOM who's building or assembling your gift to her.

supersonic
05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Do you throw up? Or do you throw down? Stuff does travel up, but leaves pointed down:)

Not always true. I know of at least 3 world-famous rock stars that would beg to differ (if they were still around to do it).:eek:

missiontrails
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Not always true. I know of at least 3 world-famous rock stars that would beg to differ (if they were still around to do it).:eek:

JIMI

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
As a mechanical engineer I can tell you that build and assemble are the same thing.

Now, if you were to buy stock pieces of steel and machine gun pars out of them, or cast them in sand molds, you would be fabricating them. If the fabrication is in a larger scale (in terms of number, not size), then we called it manufacturing.

I'm more interested in the legal definitions of each than the technical definitions. Note, an 07FFL is required to "manufature" a firearm. 922(r) uses the term "assemble". There have to be different legal definitions of each.

tujungatoes
05-08-2011, 10:52 AM

What if you're in outer space and it just floats around?:confused:

you make a valid point.

supersonic
05-08-2011, 2:46 PM
JIMI

BONZO