PDA

View Full Version : Grease on rails for polymer guns?

zoglog
05-07-2011, 9:03 PM
Hey guys, I recently learned that you should grease up any guns with metal slide & metal frames instead of just oil since the oil evaporates and the metal finish could wear off substantially.

So on polymer guns with polymer rails on the frame, is it necessary to use grease or is oil ok for those?

resident-shooter
05-07-2011, 9:03 PM
Deafenitaly

subrosa
05-07-2011, 9:11 PM
I put Jardine's grease on all the rails. I sometimes just oil up the rails on the Glocks though.

Ape
05-07-2011, 9:15 PM
I grease the rails on ALL of my guns without exception.
Been doing it for 20 some years now with no ill effects.

Q619
05-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I put grease on everything.

$P-Ritch$
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I always thought that the polymer rail sections were just guides to aid in reassembly on the slide to the frame. All the polymer guns I have owned had metal lugs set in the frame that acted as the true load bearing surface of the slide during cycling. It was there that there was visible wear being done, so that's where I applied my grease.

But to answer your question, I don't think a common gun grease or oil will hurt the high impact polymer your pistol frame is made of. However, I believe that it is not necessary.

zoglog
05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
got it, time to grease the xdm rails then. Any other areas you guys recommend greasing?

LBDamned
05-08-2011, 2:26 AM
imo it depends on how long you intend to let the pistol sit...

If I were to store a pistol for long periods of time, I'd use lithium grease (it holds up longer over time, but tends to be too sludgy/messy for frequent handling).

I fire my weapons semi-frequently and therefore use oil on all wear surfaces after each cleaning (which is after every shoot)... it cleans easier and provides adequate lubrication.

there really arent any critical contact points that are polymer (at least on my four pistols) - I put a small drop of RemOil on metal wear points and distribute evenly with my finger (to avoid excess residue)... Follow manufacture recommended lube and you should have no problems.

Q619
05-08-2011, 4:41 AM
got it, time to grease the xdm rails then. Any other areas you guys recommend greasing?

If you see signs of wear/contact: lubricate

Voo
05-08-2011, 7:33 AM
For polymer, I stick to oil. For my G34, I've seen no signs of 'appreciable' wear. I have a G17 and the wear looks approximately the same as the G34, but the G17 has only 2-3K rounds whereas the G34 has much more.

Applying grease is also often much messier and if you get some on your hands, it's sometimes a hassle as you don't always have a wash station nearby.

In either case you really can't go 'that' wrong. Lube grease/oil is better than none at all.

Hogxtz
05-08-2011, 8:07 AM
Folks always tend to "over lubricate" their Glocks and its not neccassary.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GlockLubrication.asp

Sanderhawk
05-08-2011, 9:56 AM
I just learned this myself. I got some gun grease and a very small paint brush. I put a thin coat on the rails and any other place I see that has a little wear starting. Seems to be working great.

Bakerloo
05-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Slide-Glide Heavy's viscosity is specifically blended for pistols with "loose top ends" (frame to slide fit). In temperatures above 80 degrees, it also works well in non-compensated, centerfire pistols

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Brian Enos..

FourLoko
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
grease? no

oil on a qtip, don't go crazy

Jack L
05-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I always thought that the polymer rail sections were just guides to aid in reassembly on the slide to the frame. All the polymer guns I have owned had metal lugs set in the frame that acted as the true load bearing surface of the slide during cycling. It was there that there was visible wear being done, so that's where I applied my grease.

But to answer your question, I don't think a common gun grease or oil will hurt the high impact polymer your pistol frame is made of. However, I believe that it is not necessary.

I would like to know this answer (grease the ploy rails guides?). My Kahr CW9 has poly rails. I looked at them and said to myself, WTF? Then I saw the actual load bearing friction areas had metal fused or inserted into the frame. But l would still rather have metal rails all the way around.

Does anyone know if the Kahr P9 and PM9 has the poly rails with only a few areas that have the metal wear/friction points? Thanks

FeuerFrei
05-08-2011, 1:07 PM
You could use the stuff that might be what Glock uses. Not sure but it resembles the stuff that's on them when they ship. At least mine did.
Loctite 442-51001 C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant. $4.00/tube.

G-forceJunkie
05-08-2011, 2:46 PM
Glock does not recommend using that as a lubricant for normal use. They just us that since it does not evaporate over long periods of time. If a gun sits at a distributor or gun shop for years, they want something on there if the new owner decides to shoot it without lubricating it out of the box. Thats what they told us in Glock Armorers school.

You could use the stuff that might be what Glock uses. Not sure but it resembles the stuff that's on them when they ship. At least mine did.
Loctite 442-51001 C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant. $4.00/tube.

Slim///
05-08-2011, 3:34 PM
I use ballistol on my usp and love it

Sunday
05-08-2011, 6:17 PM
What does the owners manual recommend?