PDA

View Full Version : New Beretta M9A1!

rogervzv
05-07-2011, 7:12 PM
Finally got my M9A1 after a considerable wait!
The M9A1 is less commented-upon than the similar 92A1. The latter is not available in California, but for whatever reason the M9A1 is.

I special ordered an M9A1 at Turner's, here in Southern California, after they advertised their imminent availability. I wanted a 9mm with a rail (the idea is to mount a light and a laser for home defense) and after really liking my Beretta 92fs, the M9A1 seemed ideal: an FS with a rail.

Well, here is what she looks like:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/IMG_2587.jpg

The M9A1 is comprised of a 92FS upper assembly, with the M9A1 lower. In fact, the slide assembly is marked "92FS" so there is no doubt about that. Thus, the M9A1 has the 3 Dot Sight that characterizes the 92FS.

My M9A1 is made in the USA as shown by this close-up:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/_DSC3943.jpg
The finish on the M9A1 is slightly (VERY slightly) nicer than on my Italian-made 92FS. The finish is more uniform. This is one sharp-looking weapon. John and Bob can do it just as well as Vito and Tony.

The lower assembly (technically the "gun" under Federal law), is quite a bit different from the 92FS. The big difference is the rail. But the trigger guard is also different. Additionally, the backstrap and frontstrap are checkered rather than grooved like the 92FS:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/_DSC3941.jpg

The grips are screwed in with allen screws, which I prefer over conventional screws since they are less prone to scratching. I actually replaced the screws in my 92FS with allen screws. According to my gunsmith allen screws were intended to "soldier proof" the pistol, i.e. to prevent soldiers from messing with the grips during periods of boredom.

I found that the additional weight on the muzzle of the M9A1 that the tactical rail adds actually helped my shooting by stabilizing the firearm's recoil. In any case the sights were dead-on, which is something I always worry about when I first shoot a new gun that is equipped with fixed non-adjustable sights. I was very happy with the groups that I achieved during her first shoot. I put about 120 rounds downrange, without a single feeding error of any kind and groups centered on the bull's-eye. Accuracy was limited only by my skill. This pistol was ready to go right out of the box.

The M9A1 is a beautiful firearm and in my opinion is a howling bargain given its quality, pricing, and the fact that it is one of the few all-metal guns at its price-point with a tactical rail.

jermzzzzzzz
05-07-2011, 7:20 PM
Typical Beretta Awesomenesssss. Congratulations thats a nice piece. I went with the PX4, next on my list is the M9A1.

bcpucky
05-07-2011, 7:50 PM
Great pistol! Just picked up the same model. Our Serial Numbers are litter mates. Thanks for the info on the allen screws on the grips, makes sense. I prefer them myself as well.

GlennG31
05-07-2011, 7:52 PM
Congrats on the new gun! It looks great! The M9A1 will be my next purchase. Soon...very soon...

On another note, are those the stainless mags? Did they come with the pistol, or did you order them from Beretta's website? Even though I don't have an M9A1 yet, I went ahead and ordered a couple of the MDS brand, nickel 10-round mags since they were on sale on Beretta's website. The stainless ones were all sold out.

SIGman Freud
05-07-2011, 8:15 PM
Man, that's a sharp-looking pistol! About how much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

SpectreZ91
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Grrr.. This is the 2nd post today I've seen about someome braggin about their M9A1. It's such a beautiful piece of machineary..

Come on Monday.. Get here fast! I want my M9! Stupid waiting period.

Sig, I'm sure everyone paid a different price but just fyi.. Mine was $699.99. Add in the $25 DROS, $15 HSC, $10 Test fee for the HSC, $5 dealer fee then smack on $61.25 in tax. Total out the door for me 1 1/2 weeks ago was $816.24

Yesterday I saw the M9 at Turners in Corona with a tag of $650

Centurion
05-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Congrats roger. Just got one of these myself. Pick it up out of 10 day jail this Monday. I'll post up a picture after I pick it up. IMO one of the best looking guns. And one of the best to shoot as well. Used to have an M9 and it shot great.

Grrr.. This is the 2nd post today I've seen about someome braggin about their M9A1. It's such a beautiful piece of machineary..

Sig, I'm sure everyone paid a different price but just fyi.. Mine was $699.99. Add in the $25 DROS, $15 HSC, $10 Test fee for the HSC, $5 dealer fee then smack on $61.25 in tax. Total out the door for me 1 1/2 weeks ago was $816.24

Bud's Gun Shop has them for $611 with free shipping and no tax. I opted for the $7 shipping insurance, but that is optional. Transfer cost me $65, but all together only $683. Placed the order in the morning and they shipped it the same day. It was at the FFL 2 days later. Smoothest transaction I've ever had. Check 'em out Sig.

SpectreZ91
05-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Dang.. You saved over $130 doing it that way...

I'm going to have to go that route on my next purchase.. Just looking there the next 9mm I was looking at is $98 cheaper.. So ad in free shipping and if I pay 70 for transfer I'll get it OTD then the local store has the list price.. hmm.... Damn.. This website is giving me to much information to keep buying more guns. lol

Just saw the M9A1 for $591 with the 5.99 shipping.. $597 is not a bad price before local FFL fees. Damn.. Live and lean..

http://grabagun.com/handguns/semi-automatic/beretta-m9a1-9mm-4-9-bl-2-10rd.html

rogervzv
05-08-2011, 4:57 AM
Congrats on the new gun! It looks great! The M9A1 will be my next purchase. Soon...very soon...

On another note, are those the stainless mags? Did they come with the pistol, or did you order them from Beretta's website? Even though I don't have an M9A1 yet, I went ahead and ordered a couple of the MDS brand, nickel 10-round mags since they were on sale on Beretta's website. The stainless ones were all sold out.

Yes, I bought some stainless and some nickel mags from Beretta USA since they had them on sale. The M9A1 comes with two black magazines. One of the LGS wanted $50 for one!

rogervzv
05-08-2011, 4:59 AM
Man, that's a sharp-looking pistol! About how much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

$650 at Turner's.

GlennG31
05-08-2011, 7:02 AM
Dang.. You saved over $130 doing it that way...

I'm going to have to go that route on my next purchase.. Just looking there the next 9mm I was looking at is $98 cheaper.. So ad in free shipping and if I pay 70 for transfer I'll get it OTD then the local store has the list price.. hmm.... Damn.. This website is giving me to much information to keep buying more guns. lol

Just saw the M9A1 for $591 with the 5.99 shipping.. $597 is not a bad price before local FFL fees. Damn.. Live and lean..

http://grabagun.com/handguns/semi-automatic/beretta-m9a1-9mm-4-9-bl-2-10rd.html

Holy cow, that's a great price for a M9A1. Not to thread jack, but has anyone had any experience with Grab A Gun? Are they pretty reputable?

GlennG31
05-08-2011, 7:05 AM
Yes, I bought some stainless and some nickel mags from Beretta USA since they had them on sale. The M9A1 comes with two black magazines. One of the LGS wanted $50 for one!

Have you shot any rounds through your nickel mags yet? Let me know how well they function. I'm hoping they work just as well as the factory OEM mags.

rogervzv
05-08-2011, 7:43 AM
Have you shot any rounds through your nickel mags yet? Let me know how well they function. I'm hoping they work just as well as the factory OEM mags.

The MDS Mags are absolutely indistinguishable from "Beretta" mags and the word is that MDS manufactures the Beretta mags. In any case they are utterly indistinguishable in terms of function or quality. I bought a dozen of them and they are great!

Lumpia is sarap!
05-08-2011, 7:45 AM
Well informative post. Thanks!

evidens83
05-08-2011, 8:15 AM
Berettas are just plain sexy congrats!

flyingjalapeno
05-08-2011, 8:25 AM
Holy cow, that's a great price for a M9A1. Not to thread jack, but has anyone had any experience with Grab A Gun? Are they pretty reputable?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427190

Someone just posted their experience with ordering a gun through them and so far so good. After seeing 2 or 3 threads about fellow members picking up their Beretta M9A1's and then seeing the price on Grab a Gun, I think this will be my next purchase after my 30 days are up.

Roger congrats on your lovely new gun purchase, I am drooling. Thank You LOL

GlennG31
05-08-2011, 8:37 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427190

Someone just posted their experience with ordering a gun through them and so far so good. After seeing 2 or 3 threads about fellow members picking up their Beretta M9A1's and then seeing the price on Grab a Gun, I think this will be my next purchase after my 30 days are up.

Roger congrats on your lovely new gun purchase, I am drooling. Thank You LOL

Thanks for that link! :thumbsup: It looks like I'll be looking into Grab A Gun for my M9A1 purchase.

RangemasterP226
05-08-2011, 8:42 AM
I want one!

Can you tell me if the M9A1 fits in the USGI flap holster???? Or in a Serpa holster?

The reason I ask is a P226 fits in a USGI flap holster, but a P226R does not. Thanks.

Munk
05-08-2011, 9:24 AM
The MDS Mags are absolutely indistinguishable from "Beretta" mags and the word is that MDS manufactures the Beretta mags. In any case they are utterly indistinguishable in terms of function or quality. I bought a dozen of them and they are great!

CDNN has beretta factory 10rd mags at 18$ a piece, add 1$ if you want the elite rubber pad.(i sprung for the extra)

Wait for a weekend deal and shipping is 6$ flatrate, or 10$ normally.

den888
05-08-2011, 9:47 AM
It's nice, congrats!

ZX-10R
05-08-2011, 6:21 PM
Congrats! My buddy picked his up on this past Thursday. Awesome piece to own.

GlennG31
05-10-2011, 2:51 PM

I got my package of MDS nickel mags yesterday, and the quality does look pretty good. I placed my order for an M9A1 this past weekend, so hopefully I'll get to test them all out at the range in a few weeks.

thomasanelson
05-10-2011, 3:08 PM
I have had my eye on one of these for a while. The 92fs was my first "real" handgun after my Beretta 70s in 22. Love the rail option. Sweet looking gun.

flyingjalapeno
05-10-2011, 3:34 PM
I just ordered my M9A1 this morning, but I have more then ten days to wait. LOL

HappyG
05-10-2011, 5:53 PM
MDS makes the factory mags for Beretta and a few other gun manufacturers. So it may not say PB, but it's the same thing for several dollars less.

jcberb
06-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Decided to order an M9A1 after getting marksman on my recent pistol qual. I never performed so terribly. Got it for around 580.00 shipped on gunbroker.com. I want to get the one dot rear sight just like the traditional M9. Hopefully I can fine tune my shooting with that gun.

CK_32
06-26-2011, 2:02 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/chuck_norris_approved.jpg

shooterfpga
06-26-2011, 2:06 PM
nice! i had shopped around for an m9 for awhile, and nobody had any and i wasnt going to settle for a 92fs. last week i seen a post about someone having a bunch in stock. bad timing for me, but i will get oneeeeee someday:( love the pictures.

CK_32
06-26-2011, 2:15 PM
$650 at Turner's.

Wait turners has them?? Or did you just have them FFLd from them.

If ffl'd who did you buy it from?

And to be clear that's OTD right?

GlennG31
06-26-2011, 2:22 PM
nice! i had shopped around for an m9 for awhile, and nobody had any and i wasnt going to settle for a 92fs. last week i seen a post about someone having a bunch in stock. bad timing for me, but i will get oneeeeee someday:( love the pictures.

Have you tried Grabagun.com? I got my M9A1 from there, and so did a couple other Calgunners. I just checked the website, and they still have a couple of M9's in stock for $540. Brent at Grabagun.com is a good guy; very responsive with your e-mails and answers all your questions.

http://grabagun.com/handguns/semi-automatic/beretta-m9-9mm-4-9-bl-2-10rd.html

There's only 2 left right now, so good luck!

GlennG31
06-26-2011, 2:28 PM
Wait turners has them?? Or did you just have them FFLd from them.

If ffl'd who did you buy it from?

And to be clear that's OTD right?

I saw an M9A1 a couple of months ago in the case at the Turner's in Fountain Valley. $650 was the list price of the gun, not the OTD price. OTD would be about $730 - $740. Every now and then, it would go on sale for $600. The guys at counter said that they go fast whenever it goes on sale, and it ends up getting backordered. For the record, I have been back to that Turner's a couple more times since I last saw that M9A1, and I haven't seen it in the case since then. I just see the M9.

racky
06-26-2011, 2:35 PM
grats! you'll love you're beretta the more you shoot it. here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztPMOMW1-Q
7ztPMOMW1-Q

EDIT: btw, change the guide rod and get a D spring.

mayo 111
06-26-2011, 3:08 PM
very nice, I was considering the m9a1 but I got the m9 since I didnt really see having the rail as necessary. but, nice buy! congratulations!

Dannicus
06-26-2011, 3:14 PM
Berettas are pretty cool, but i think i lost my taste for it from having one strapped to my hip during countless mid-watches. Good deal you got on it, tho!

PandaLuv
06-26-2011, 6:01 PM
grats! you'll love you're beretta the more you shoot it. here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztPMOMW1-Q
7ztPMOMW1-Q

EDIT: btw, change the guide rod and get a D spring.

What kind of muffs are those ? They look pretty sweet

PositiveInfluence
06-26-2011, 6:29 PM
Kiss it goodnight for me tonight... I am so jealous.

sequoia_nomad
06-26-2011, 6:42 PM
What kind of muffs are those ? They look pretty sweet

Those are the Howard Leight Impact. Not sure the model number. I've been eying them myself, they look nice and slim. I hate big fat ear muffs, I'm an ear plug kinda guy.

PandaLuv
06-26-2011, 8:44 PM
Those are the Howard Leight Impact. Not sure the model number. I've been eying them myself, they look nice and slim. I hate big fat ear muffs, I'm an ear plug kinda guy.

Thanks, I hate thick ear muffs too and I'm getting sick of disposable ear plugs.

psango
06-26-2011, 8:47 PM
Very nice Beretta you will like it!!!!!!!

Jimmy310
06-26-2011, 9:43 PM
Would love to have a beretta M9 in inox!

Berserker
06-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Bought one in the Corona store two days ago, got mine for $599.98......very excited.

racky
06-27-2011, 12:14 AM

yeah they're howard leight's. here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309162415&sr=8-1

Just-in
06-27-2011, 8:33 AM
I've been racking buying one for a while nice to see positive feedback!

beretta929mm
06-27-2011, 9:05 AM
This is THE proper way to deploy your beretta(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlQ_iyQ61ig

Just-in
06-27-2011, 9:13 PM
I'm broke so I had to put me one on lay away. Its been a toss up between a sig 229. I never got to shoot it but I like the overall feel better. The 229 I don't shoot well enough to justify the higher price. The slide throws me off a bit but if its reliable hell ill adapt.

RaceDay
06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice! I like my M9 but I shoot better with 3 dot sights rather than the vertical post sights on the M9. I'm drooling over the M9A1 and that price!

To the OP, I assume that the foam you show is an aftermarket case and the M9 just came in the standard packaging-- cardboard box.

Just-in
06-28-2011, 6:59 AM
The plastic case comes inside the cardboard. I was surprised. I can't wait to scrape up the dinero to take mine home.

bcpucky
06-28-2011, 7:45 AM
Went to the range with my m9a1 : No feeding / extraction problems at all. Reloads, and various factory ammo. Very accurate. Yes it is bigger than a lot of other modern semiautos, but not a problem at all for me (I wear size small / medium gloves for reference.) By far, my favorite gun that I have owned.

rogervzv
06-28-2011, 8:00 AM
Very nice! I like my M9 but I shoot better with 3 dot sights rather than the vertical post sights on the M9. I'm drooling over the M9A1 and that price!

To the OP, I assume that the foam you show is an aftermarket case and the M9 just came in the standard packaging-- cardboard box.

The case in the photo is a Pelican 1450. The M9A1 came in a plastic Beretta case, not a box.