PDA

View Full Version : Got my first M1A today...

hamsalad
05-07-2011, 7:30 PM
Can't wait to get it out of jail.

Standard full size model with walnut stock. Scope or stock suggestions? I know what's out there, like JAE, Sage, etc., but want to know what others are using and your experience with them. I plan on using it for target use out to 600 yds. Thanks for any info.

Knife Edge
05-07-2011, 8:16 PM
Inside 600 yards, bone stock should provide a lifetime of fun! Welcome to the club, enjoy.

ElvenSoul
05-07-2011, 9:30 PM
Congrats...and try the irons for awhile.

shamu415
05-07-2011, 9:33 PM
Sage EBR is more tactical. if you are looking for precision, I heard the JAE is the way to go. There is also the TROY system and promags archangel. There is a crazy horse upgrade you can look into also. I recommend you go shoot it and have fun before adding all the bells and whistles.

mattt
05-07-2011, 9:43 PM
Good call on getting the real deal 308. ProMag scope mount works great and is way better the the S A mount wich will break>

capitol
05-07-2011, 9:54 PM
I say shoot it "as is" and then figure what you want/need.

Congrats on your M1A your gonna luv it

limitdown
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
M14-type rifles are the best!

SubSonicSOPMOD
05-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Ebr is also precise, creates a rigid platform and Free floats the barrel looks awesome too. Personally.... Im getting both

Average Joe American
05-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I cant wait to get me one someday! I want a scout model.

popeye4
05-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Take it out and get to know it before you start messing with it. Learn to use the iron sights, they are among the best ever designed. The ergonomics of the walnut stock are good; my M14 just seems to fit me like a glove, I would never consider putting it in one of the "tacticool" stocks. The M14 is from the age of wood and steel in guns, I personally like to keep mine that way. I've glass bedded mine, it shoots well. I'd consider getting the McMillan stock and have that bedded, but so far walnut has worked just fine. A trigger job is also money well spent, you only need to send out the trigger group, not the whole rifle.

Welcome to the club! You are going to enjoy your new rifle!

limitdown
05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I highly recommend Kuhnhausen's technical book on the M14. He goes through practically every single aspect of maintaining, fixing and inspecting M14's

762.DEFENSE
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Congrats on purchasing a well made firearm!

hamsalad
05-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, all good advice and I thank you guys. I think I will just get used to it in its current form and see how it runs before doing anything to it, if at all.

Such a great classic, these guns. Holding it felt "solid". So cool. :)

john.t.singh
05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Love how the title is first m1a haha here's hoping that it shoots awesome and you'll get a chance to own more

rob1105
05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I just got mine late last year. The only mod I did was to replace the stock with a used M-14 birtch stock I got from the CMP. Now I have best of both worlds a new and old rifle (little history) I love my M1A also like my reminder hole of what the real deal used to have.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l316/rob1105/DSCN0430.jpg

GILMORE619
05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Ive got the standard loaded with a syn stock. Id leave it just as is and shoot a couple hunderd rounds through it. The iron sights work very well and if you feel like more is desired out of it then upgrade away. My first shot out of mine I hit an 8X8 steel plate at 330 yards iron sights... I was blown away by the accuracy! Congrats on the purchase and sorry on your wait... Enjoy

chino
05-08-2011, 9:51 AM
After several years of owning an M1A my recommendations:
Buy the book "The M14 Owners guide" by SCott Duff. Good information
Shoot it with iron sights for a while, you may not want to scope it.
If you scope it, use a quality scope mount, ARMS, Smith Enterprise, Sadalk...
Do not use a bargain priced scope. Over several years my M1A destroyed a 2.5-10X IOR scope (loose internal lens) a Bushnell (would not hold zero). Currently running a 16X SS
Cheekrest. If you use a scope/standard stock you must have a cheekrest.

Eventualy you may:
Tune in the trigger (if necessary)
Glass bed (McMillan stock)
Unitize gas system
Install a Ti coated piston
Match spring guide
And so on..
M1A are known for reliability, getting one to consistanly sub MOA becomes a challenge.

Gunsrruss
05-08-2011, 9:53 AM
I put the Mcmillen M3A stock on mine $650. I also got the new adjustable trigger group from Springfield $348. Plus I have the Smith Enterprises scope mount marked ( U.S. Property )$250. The stock has a saddle on it to use with the scope. It is bedded $90. See how it adds up??? But it's worth every penny:) I will never get rid of my M1A;)

ElvenSoul
05-08-2011, 9:54 AM
My budy went with a scout scope after shooting my scout...yes you can scout the standard!

X-NewYawker
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
What store did you get it from?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/TheBIGMAG.jpg

Shoot it as is, and IMHO avoid stocks that require you to install a bullet button. Whether you own high caps or not, the PRINCIPLE that we can still own a gun in CA that takes detachable magazines that don't require a tool is PRICELESS> It means we still have SOME FREEDOM
The M1A is the rifle that exemplifies that.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/_MG_0827.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/_MG_0824.jpg

Then get a JAE stock...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/GUN_SHOOT_JML_0228.jpg

hamsalad
05-08-2011, 8:48 PM
Wow, XNEW...those are great pics. That top pic with the wood-stock equipped M1 looks very nice. I have been looking at the US Optics glass. Nice stuff. I got mine at Fowler's as they had a used unit that was absolutely spectacular and a decent price...even for Fowler's. The walnut stock had NO blemishes and the bore was perfect. Very few rounds through it.

That JAE stock looks nice, too and it seems to function very well according to what I have read...but for looks, not as important as reliable function. That is my main goal and then I will start to tweak to my tastes and shooting style.

As soon as I get one. :)

West coast
05-08-2011, 8:50 PM
GOOD choice!!! LOVE my M1A SCOUT.....

M.C.
05-09-2011, 8:58 AM
Welcome to the club.:D

Sumo99
05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Personally, I say, leave it as is. No need to change stocks or add a scope. A full size M1a in a wood stock is just amazing to shoot and looks awesome.

Now, if you are thinking about getting into precision/long range shooting, then maybe get a JAE stock and scope (or get a bolt action ;))

JDW67
05-09-2011, 2:39 PM
I miss my M1A...:(

tacticalcity
05-09-2011, 2:48 PM
I'm a fan of the McMillan USMC 3 Color Camo Fiberglass stocks myself.

1stBorn
05-09-2011, 3:30 PM
I just picked up mine the other day too.
Mossy Oak Scout...It just kept calling to me!!
Plan to use the iron sights for a while and scope it later.
It did end up walking out of the shop with a Harris Bi-pod though.

strongpoint
05-09-2011, 5:24 PM
i love my scout squad model.

for tools, internal upgrades and all-around good knowledge, check out sadlak (http://www.sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_main.html), smith enterprise (http://www.smithenterprise.com/) and fulton armory (http://fulton-armory.com/).

if you're shopping for a scope mount, i'd also suggest bassett machine (http://www.bassettmachine.com/).

Foriegn power
05-09-2011, 5:50 PM
x new yawker, you got it on the dot bud!

23 Blast
05-09-2011, 6:36 PM
hamsalad,

You're gonna LOVE your new gun. My M1A (Standard Loaded with a NM barrel) is the best damn gun I've ever owned. Iron sighted, I can make a bowling pin dance on the 200 yard berm that I have a tough time merely hitting with my scoped Savage. The trigger is fantastic and the ergonomics of the gun (unscoped) are second to none. I imagine a short-barreled version would be even quicker and handier, but there's just something about that 22" barrel and it's incredible ability to hit things waaaay out there that made me fall in love with the gun.

As far as scopes and mounts, I have bought a Bassett Machine mount for it - it's an easy-on, easy-off that supposedly holds zero because it has a very simple and effective torquing procedure, but so far I haven't gotten a scope of enough quality worthy of mounting on the M1A. I just have a tough time pulling the trigger (bad pun alert!) on purchasing a scope for a gun that 1)costs nearly as much as the gun itself and 2)the gun shoots so wonderfully well with irons.

vf111
05-09-2011, 6:55 PM
M14-disease is worse than BRD if only because of the dent it creates on your wallet....

johndoe2150
05-09-2011, 7:14 PM
This thread is win, it. makes me want to get one. Been debating between thats and an ar10

M.C.
05-09-2011, 7:32 PM
M14-disease is worse than BRD if only because of the dent it creates on your wallet....

Tru dat

Bruce
05-09-2011, 8:24 PM
Take it out and get to know it before you start messing with it. Learn to use the iron sights, they are among the best ever designed. The ergonomics of the walnut stock are good; my M14 just seems to fit me like a glove, I would never consider putting it in one of the "tacticool" stocks. The M14 is from the age of wood and steel in guns, I personally like to keep mine that way. I've glass bedded mine, it shoots well. I'd consider getting the McMillan stock and have that bedded, but so far walnut has worked just fine. A trigger job is also money well spent, you only need to send out the trigger group, not the whole rifle.

Welcome to the club! You are going to enjoy your new rifle!

Who did your trigger? How much did it set you back?

hamsalad
05-09-2011, 8:51 PM
23 Blast, I have no doubt I will love it. I have had some exposure to a SOCOM 16 and it was pretty cool, but that long barreled standard is really something cool. Like I said before, it has a classic look and feel. This gun just feels right in my big hands. No nonsense, all business. Don't get me wrong, I love my AR, too, but it seems like a silly toy compared to all that wood and metal. :P

thai562
05-09-2011, 9:23 PM
I love Sage EBR. Look great and a lot cheaper than JAE stock.
spend some money on a good scope mount, Sadlak, Smith Ent, A.R.M.S.

chino
05-09-2011, 10:41 PM
For optimum accuracy (optics not included) my main contributors were:
1. Match ammunition
2. Trigger
3. Glass bedding
4. Reload

Fulton Armory advertises a trigger job for $65.00 Call them for details

Horta
05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Just enjoy those magnificent iron sights for a while. Then you can go through the very tough decision to scope or not to scope. Spend your money on magazines and ammo. The M1A shoots .308 and surplus Nato 7.62x51 with an equal fun factor. Enjoy, you’ve got a good one!

1stBorn
05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
This thread is win, it. makes me want to get one. Been debating between thats and an ar10

I got in on the Sacramento Black Rifle group buy for the TM-308 lowers. Was all set to spend countless nights searching for parts...

Low and behold my mossy oak beauty was sitting there all along!!

The TM-308 build is on hold.

No need for a bullet button = priceless.

popeye4
05-10-2011, 9:29 PM
Just enjoy those magnificent iron sights for a while. Then you can go through the very tough decision to scope or not to scope. Spend your money on magazines and ammo. The M1A shoots .308 and surplus Nato 7.62x51 with an equal fun factor. Enjoy, you’ve got a good one!

Be careful what you shoot in an M14 type rifle. Just any .308 is NOT a good idea. The gas system was designed around a moderate burn rate powder (4895 type) and a 150 grain bullet. You won't want to shoot anything with a bullet much heavier than 175 grain. Stay away from those "light magnum" loads. The gas system isn't quite as sensitive as that in an M1, but it has similar limitations.

brando
05-10-2011, 9:40 PM
When parts break on that rifle, don't bother getting spares from SA - replace them with USGI parts. I had to replace my extractor and trigger group about 700 rounds into mine.

hamsalad
05-10-2011, 9:56 PM
I have a whole bunch of Australian 7.62, but will probably make that my stash...so I will most likely go to some Barnaul .308 that my Howa eats that I can use as it has proven to be good ammo.