PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to adjust front AR sight post

grywlfbg
11-28-2006, 9:29 PM
All,

So I have a question about the "right" way to adjust the front sight post on my AR (A2 sight). I see how to push the little pin down with a bullet tip but the post is very difficult to turn. I managed to turn it w/ some pliers but I'm worried about twisting it. So I just adjusted the rear until it was sighted in at 100yds.

Obviously I want to do a proper zero so the rear sight markings mean something but it seems like adjusting that front sight post is way harder than it should be. Is there a trick?

Chris

ocabj
11-28-2006, 9:32 PM
I just use a bullet tip to hold down the front sight post detent and use another bullet tip or a toothpick to rotate the front sight post via an opposing front sight post detent notch.

five.five-six
11-28-2006, 9:47 PM
buy the a2 site tool.. less than 10 bucks

bu-bye
11-28-2006, 9:58 PM
I took a 223 case, cut it in half about 1/2 inch below the shoulders and used a dremel to cut out four little tabs just like an A2 sight tool. Its cheap and only took a few min to make.

NeoWeird
11-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I took a 223 case, cut it in half about 1/2 inch below the shoulders and used a dremel to cut out four little tabs just like an A2 sight tool. Its cheap and only took a few min to make.

Now THAT is a great idea! You could always throw it in a magazine to know where it is at all times too!

rayra
11-28-2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/TL-A1.jpg

NeoWeird
11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/TL-A1.jpg

Yeah, well we aren't Scrooge McDuck. Heck, half of us are lucky if we can get a dime, let alone a lucky dime.

grammaton76
11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I agree that bullets don't seem to be good for adjusting sights, at least not on the Stags I've tried to do it on, nor on the SU-16. I've only ever wound up taking off bits of the bullet nose or once setting it back in the case. :eek:

I'm happier with the sight tool... picked mine up at jsesurplus.com

Matt C
11-29-2006, 12:47 AM
You don't really need to mess with that IMO. If you are zeroed at 100M I would leave it alone...

ocabj
11-29-2006, 7:17 AM
That A2 sight tool is handy, but I never got around to ordering one since I never have problems adjusting the front sight post on my White Oak and Compass Lake uppers without any problems (or my Colts).

grywlfbg
11-29-2006, 7:26 AM
Thanks for the tips guys - never realized there's a special tool. I'm always looking for a reason to buy more tools :D

You don't really need to mess with that IMO. If you are zeroed at 100M I would leave it alone...

The problem is that my rear sight is set at 50M (I think) to get it to zero at 100M. So if I want to shoot further I'd have to do math to figure out where to set the rear sight - the markings won't match up. I know, I'm being nitpicky but it bugs me :o

I'll just fight with it for now (I'll try ocabj's tips) and order the tool next time I need something or find myself at a gunshow.

Chris

ocabj
11-29-2006, 8:46 AM
I set my competition uppers so that the front sight is adjusted close to a 100 yard zero while the rear sight is close to bottomed out. I do this to maximize the elevation available for beyond 600. Granted, I don't think I'd ever shoot in a high power match with a service rifle beyond 600, but just in case...

I'd adjust the front sight for 200 yard zero while the rear sight is close to bottomed out, but I wanted the extra leeway at the bottom end just in case I have to shoot in an reduced match at 100 or if some funny light conditions happen where my hold at 200 has to be lower than normal.

xrMike
11-29-2006, 8:58 AM
I set my competition uppers so that the front sight is adjusted close to a 100 yard zero while the rear sight is close to bottomed out. I do this to maximize the elevation available for beyond 600.I did this to mine also, based on your advice in a previous thread. After doing it, my rear elevation knob is set at 2 clicks above completely bottomed-out.

I tried using a bullet tip also, but it was difficult, and scratched the finish all around the front post. Now I use a large paper clip, bent so one end is sticking out. You stick the end straight down onto the detent, then push sideways to turn the post. Works okay, but I need to get me one of those tools.

Matt C
11-29-2006, 9:37 AM
Wow, you guys are precise! Heheh, my motto was always, "close enough for government work.":)

ocabj
11-29-2006, 10:56 AM
I haven't shot my 16" Colt Sporter in ages. I think the Aimpoint ML2 is zeroed for 100 yards. The irons are set to lollipop the red dot. I guess I should take it out and zero it for my 77gr homemade/wannabe MK262 loads.

rayra
12-04-2006, 8:25 PM
Yeah, well we aren't Scrooge McDuck. Heck, half of us are lucky if we can get a dime, let alone a lucky dime."Scrooge McDuck"?
They only cost $10.
WTF is someone doing with a several-hundred-dollar rifle if they can't afford $10 for the proper tool, instead of gouging the hell out of the front site post with improvised tools.

$10.

And my trouble for pointing out the proper tool is some smart-assed "scrooge mcduck" BS.

Archenemy550
12-04-2006, 9:23 PM
I found a dime one time on the ground with bubble gum on it.

somekevinguy
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I think your threads might be rusted or something. When I push down the pin on mine, the post turns very easy.